Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Loreto Food!
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 06:51 PM
Loreto Food!

Loreto Restaurants Fall 2018
There are plenty more places both good and bad but here is our report from a recent trip

Many great restaurants in Loreto, we find it hard to stray from our normal spots but half the time when we do we are blown away!

For breakfast Orlando's is one of the best in town, they have such a great menu for 'big breakfasts'.

Our go to is Cafe Ole for a great easy breakfast. We have kids and found it easier to order at the counter than to sit down at a restaurant.

Lunches were not as plentiful this trip but Cesars is always great and we love it there. Great salsa plate and really great tacos.

Our first time at Del Borracho Saloon and it was incredible. Great food, great decor great service and nice clean place. The outside has a big play area for kids which was nice for us! The burgers were excellent, salad huge and tasty, fries, onion rings the best! We stopped after a San Javier visit, we'll definitely be back there.

The food at Hotel La Mision is always as good as it gets, we ate there a handful of times and always had plenty of food and it was always top notch!

Pan que Pan has great breakfast, their bakery is incredible too, great juices!

Dinners are usually our favorite and we usually take some time relaxing, drinking and enjoying the menu.

Mi Loreto has good food, we were not disappointed.

We are not a big fan of Domingo's Place, maybe it used to be better but not impressed this time.

La Palapa is one of our favorite places and we've had all kinds of their plates, they all impress! Can't wait to get back there, share a Cesar salad and whatever entree sounds good!

Super Burro is one of my favorites, the stuffed potatoes are incredible, others try but don't get close to their flavor!

The Clam Shack - Vista Al Mar south of town is simply the best place for seafood, we are blown away every time at the quality and flavor of all of their plates and bowls, can't beat the view and beach setting.

We always like the food and drinks at Augies, hard to pass up afternoon drinks and their appetizers.

Pepegina's in the town center is really good. We had pizza there and also mexican food and both were really great!

Mita Gourmet seems to have had better days, we used to like it a lot but now...not so much, too much competition in Loreto for ok food.

Mi Casita next to Islas on the walking street is a little gem, great family fun restaurant with really above average food, we went back the next night after trying it!

Mezzaluna is the best Italian food I've had, I don't eat too much Italian but their lasagna, pizza, noodles are superb!

Orlando's Lunch and Dinner are incredible, the Pozole is the best we've ever had, hard to beat Orlando's for anything even for to go orders when you are going to the island or somewhere when you need a pack lunch.

That is our Loreto food report! Enjoy!

[Edited on 12-11-2018 by TLBaja79]

[Edited on 12-11-2018 by TLBaja79]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 06:52 PM

Paragraph breaks are your friend.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 07:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Paragraph breaks are your friend.

So true. The gray ghost.

My new favorite place in Loreto (thanks Howard!) is La Picazón, maybe 6-7 miles north of Loreto on dirt roads. WELL worth it. The food is awesome, the venue is spectacular, and Alejandro Desdier (owner) -- I can't say enough about the guy. La Picazón has two other restaurants, in Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo.

The restaurant has spectacular views of the coast and Isla Coronado:

The front gate of the restaurant:

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 09:37 PM

Gonna hit that spot up.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 03:38 AM

Sabor for dinner

El Rey Tacos for lunch

Orandos any time of day.

Islas for Huevos Racheros or chiiquilles (both SIC)

Poblanos on the highway for pork tacos

Ice Cream next to Orandos

Use Banco Atezteca for ATM w/d

Torta stand after 7:00 PM on the corner, down the street from the Rodeo

Clam Shack (Vista del Mar) around 10 miles south of town

Happy Hour at Augie's and the Mission Hotel )powerful 2x1)

Mojacentes SIC at the Blue Anchor

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 05:47 AM

When you fish north of town Alejandro is happy to receive part of your catch on the way back to the marina. If you do make a drop, by the time you get home, clean up and drive back overland to La Picazon Alejandro will have the fish cleaned and Imelda will perform her magic on it. I recommend it.

003 (2).JPG - 206kB

la picazon.JPG - 155kB
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 06:08 AM
La Picazón, Loreto

Stuck & Bill - I've tried unsuccessfully to locate a turn off from Highway 1 on GE - I even used their GPS coordinates for anchoring to no avail.

Is La Picazón too secret to share driving directions?

John
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 06:13 AM

John.....You can't drive directly off Mex 1 without going through Loreto. From Loreto take Davis (I think) north past the old abandoned hoarhouse, mil palmas, and follow the signs.

[Edited on 12-10-2018 by bill erhardt]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 06:26 AM

Orlando's definitely the bomb for lunch, tortas to die for (as well as the whole menu). El Nido for dinner if still open, by the Santa Fe Hotel.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 10:32 AM

Orlando's, sí!
Nick and I ate there in February 2017 and I posted this on Nomad:

I first want to say what a great dinner I had the previous night with Baja Nomad 'ncampion' who picked me up at the hotel and took me to Orlando's. A winner, for sure! I had the Cilantro Fish plate and Nick had the Mango Fish plate. Ice cold Pacificos made it a complete meal with chips and salsa.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John M, as Bill said, you get to the north coast homes and beyond by driving past the La Pinta/ Desert Inn Hotel entrance... yes, it was Davis Street (at least years ago).

[Edited on 12-10-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 10:38 AM
Double spacing added...

Quote: Originally posted by TLBaja79  
Loreto Restaurants Fall 2018
There are plenty more places both good and bad but here is our report from a recent trip

Many great restaurants in Loreto, we find it hard to stray from our normal spots but half the time when we do we are blown away!

For breakfast Orlando's is one of the best in town, they have such a great menu for 'big breakfasts'.

Our go to is Cafe Ole for a great easy breakfast. We have kids and found it easier to order at the counter than to sit down at a restaurant.

Lunches were not as plentiful this trip but Cesars is always great and we love it there. Great salsa plate and really great tacos.

Our first time at Del Borracho Saloon and it was incredible. Great food, great decor great service and nice clean place. The outside has a big play area for kids which was nice for us! The burgers were excellent, salad huge and tasty, fries, onion rings the best! We stopped after a San Javier visit, we'll definitely be back there.

The food at Hotel La Mision is always as good as it gets, we ate there a handful of times and always had plenty of food and it was always top notch!

Pan que Pan has great breakfast, their bakery is incredible too, great juices!
Dinners are usually our favorite and we usually take some time relaxing, drinking and enjoying the menu.

Mi Loreto has good food, we were not disappointed.

We are not a big fan of Domingo's Place, maybe it used to be better but not impressed this time.

La Palapa is one of our favorite places and we've had all kinds of their plates, they all impress! Can't wait to get back there, share a Cesar salad and whatever entree sounds good!

Super Burro is one of my favorites, the stuffed potatoes are incredible, others try but don't get close to their flavor!

The Clam Shack - Vista Al Mar south of town is simply the best place for seafood, we are blown away every time at the quality and flavor of all of their plates and bowls, can't beat the view and beach setting.

We always like the food and drinks at Augies, hard to pass up afternoon drinks and their appetizers.

Pepegina's in the town center is really good. We had pizza there and also mexican food and both were really great!

Mita Gourmet seems to have had better days, we used to like it a lot but now...not so much, too much competition in Loreto for ok food.

Mi Casita next to Islas on the walking street is a little gem, great family fun restaurant with really above average food, we went back the next night after trying it!

Mezzaluna is the best Italian food I've had, I don't eat too much Italian but their lasagna, pizza, noodles are superb!

Orlando's Lunch and Dinner are incredible, the Pozole is the best we've ever had, hard to beat Orlando's for anything even for to go orders when you are going to the island or somewhere when you need a pack lunch.

That is our Loreto food report! Enjoy!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 11:18 AM

Howard, tell us more about this one:

Clam Shack (Vista del Mar) around 10 miles south of town.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
Stuck & Bill - I've tried unsuccessfully to locate a turn off from Highway 1 on GE - I even used their GPS coordinates for anchoring to no avail.

John

No access from Highway 1, all dirt road north of Loreto. Start with Calle Davis past the Desert Inn, then keep driving north. There are some fence lines out there, but the road north is obvious.

"A" on the map is La Picazón.

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 12:13 PM

Vista del Mar AKA The Clam Shack

APPROX. 7-10 miles south of town on the beach is where it is located. Very well groomed sand outside seating with a palapa roof. You definitely can see it as it is next to the highway.

Outdoor plastic chairs and tables, very reasonably priced with absolutely the freshest clams and seafood around. Don't go after it's been windy for 3 or so days as they cant gather the clams during windy conditions.

I prefer the stuffed clams for around 70-80 pesos.

Nothing fancy, just good cheap food but you must like clams and seafood. Not the place to go for a beef taco and that's if they even have them.

On a side note, a funny story. Went there a couple of weeks ago with a friend and we weren't that hungry so we just order "12 clams, nothing else." After getting our order we were about 1/2 way through when we both realized that the clams had no meat, just the membranes. I asked the waiter about it and with an absolute straight face he said that is how we order them, clams only and they took the meat out for other meals. I didn't take it as a rip off as he was serious, that's how we ordered them, and now I know not to just order clams.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 12:19 PM

why can't they gather clams in the wind :?:
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 12:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
why can't they gather clams in the wind :?:

Stirs up the sand and the clams withdraw their siphon tubes. Can't see them

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
PamelaP

Mood: Better in Baja! With wine of course!

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Quote: Originally posted by John M  

John

No access from Highway 1, all dirt road north of Loreto. Start with Calle Davis past the Desert Inn, then keep driving north. There are some fence lines out there, but the road north is obvious.

"A" on the map is La Picazón.

We followed the same Google map, but the road is closed by fences so a new one, turning to the right, goes towards the water with fences on both sides. There are signs here and there. If you follow the directions and stay on the road you will get there. The only wrong turns would be into a home communities.
Of note, they only take cash and a bit more expensive then your average out of the way establishment. They have blankets for the ladies if there is a cool breeze; and black wiener dog; and up beat vibe (a bit metro-sexual) and please do not go off on me for that comment. It is a vibe, I feel neither negative nor positive about it, its just a vibe. Fantastic food that is very nicely presented! I had the best filet of Sea Bass in Ajo! Worth it!

Is there wine?
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 12:43 PM

great list so far, we have been exploring Loreto eateries for the past few weeks and have a few more to add

Dory Luz - amazing breakfast and lunch plates, all hand made and set in a little garden off a side street about 4 minute walk from the centro, she does traditional mexican plates but also offers a few american style breakfast such as waffles and bacon, great licuados as well, open 8am-3pm Mon-Sat

Can find it on the paved road towards the Arroyo/Zaragosa, very small sign on the left hand side

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x86b43b865b1...

Buena Vida Restaurant - Located just before the arroyo on the same road as Dory Luz - great seafood platters and c-cktails - closed Mondays

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Buena+Vida+Restaurant+Bar/...

Del Cortez - the best seafood in Loreto we have found, located out on the highway 1 in front of Col. Miramar, its in a shaded palapa building, everything incredibly fresh, they have their own boats and supply both the restaurant and attached pescaderia, we usually eat at the resturant then pick up some fresh filets or their smoked jurel to take home and cook up later

[Edited on 3-11-2019 by BajaNomad]

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 12:45 PM

the empanadas and pizza at Mezzaluna are crazy good, cant go wrong with anything that comes out of their wood-burning pizza oven

they also have some great thin crust pies at El Zopilote brewery

[Edited on 1-20-2019 by defrag4]

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 12:48 PM

have driven by the clamshack about 6 times so far and still havent seen it open, not sure if they are closed this season or not?

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.