Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishing from shore the Sea of Cortez south of Loreto
MontanaMan

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 05:27 PM
Fishing from shore the Sea of Cortez south of Loreto

Hello:

My family and I will be spending about 4-5 weeks travelling down the Baja, and will spend about 2 weeks camping on a remote beach south of Loreto (near Agua Verde).

Can anyone give me some advice about how to fish in that area? I'll be fishing from the shore. What kind of bait/lure setup do you recommend?

I've done mostly fly fishing streams and lakes here in Montana, and I'm sure it's quite different to fish the sea like that.

Thanks for you help.

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 05:35 PM

Light/medium spinning gear with Krocodiles in various sizes/colors will get bit.

Making America Great Again
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 05:39 PM

Medium spin tackle 7' rod
12 lb test clear mono
6 chrome/prism tape Krocs in 1 oz
Slow retrieve, just enough to keep it off the bottom

6 Diawa Salt pro stick baits in chrome/gold/mac patterns
Slow retrieve, jerking now and again.
Be there at first light.
Points off the rocks are better than straight shoreline.

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 06:10 PM

3” Krocadiles and swim baits.

For swim baits use the shad type with a lead head. The are shorter and have a firmer tail than the Gulp worms. I usually get 4 corvina before I have to switch out rubber Shad. If you get a triggerfish it will destroy the swim bait.

The Kroc’s are great for halibut and Corvina and will survive a triggerfish.

Last year I caught a nice Snook down there. I was reeling in fast to avoid some rocks close to shore and it hit hard. Great fighter and good eating. Maybe try some fast retrieving on the surface ?

Good Luck

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 09:33 AM

Your best bet from shore is triggerfish in that area. Look for pints with enormous boulders where there is good depth next to shore, vertical dropoffs. There will be cabriillas and ladyfish at these spots but primarily triggers. I use 1/2-5/8 ounce kastmasters with a lot of up and down mivement. Steady retrieves are more likely to be rejected. Mexicans do great with cut sardines. Make sure you get abrasion resistant line if you will be losing lures in those rocks. 12lb minimum. P line makes a good abrasion resistant line that has a greenish tint. Line clarity is not an issue in my experience. Good luck.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 02:11 PM

Check out the book "The Baja Catch" by Neil Kelly and Gene Kira. It's a great starting point for fishing on or near shore for all of Baja. Have fun!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 03:24 PM

The Baja Catch is of no value whatsoever for the shore fisherman. Even it’s maps provide spots that can only be reached by boat.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 05:37 PM

I'm with basautter on the The Baja Catch as a great starting point. Lots of good info. Things do change over the years and some places that use to be great may not be doing so well now. Their advice for Laguna Manuel was right on, at least up to a couple of years ago, I haven't fished it lately. Also for Playa San Rafael.

An area they didn't cover that I think is really good for surf fishing is the beaches west of Catavina from San Jose down to Santa Rosalillita.
Con Kso

[*] posted on 12-13-2018 at 11:25 PM

Hey MontanaMan,

You mentioned that you are fly fisherman. Spin fishing with Krokodiles and Kastmasters will be the surest and easiest way to get into fish but definitely bring your fly gear - especially if you've got rods in the 6 to 8wt class.

I am in Baja at least six weeks out of the year, I pretty much only fly fish while I'm there... not that I'm opposed to chucking gear with a light weight (6.5 to 7' L to LM spin rods) set up (in fact I always bring two spin set ups with me in my rig - my girls like fishing them) it's just that I prefer to tie my flys and I like the way fish hit on the strip. It's like an electrical current going up your arm. I'm sure you know what I mean.

What you'll want if you do bring your gear is 6-8wt rods for shore stuff. 6wt will be much too light if you get into a hefty cabrilla or god help you some type of pargo but for 80% of what you'll catch right of the rocks - it will be fine. 8wt is my go to all-around rod and if you have one you really like, you'd probably be wise just to use it.

Line it with Rio Tropical Outbound Short S6 or you could go for the straight intermediate version but then buy some sinking leaders - you want to be able to get the fly down. Be sure you've got at least 200 yards of backing and a reel that has an adjustable drag on it. Salt water fish can be little donkeys and you need to slow them down before they get you in the rocks, palming your medalist like you were Brad Pitt ain't gonna do it.

For flies, keep it simple: Clousers, Half and Halfs and Gotchas. Clousers in size 1/0, 2, 6, 8 colors: all white, all black, yellow and white and the best of all of them chartreuse and white (bring a lot of this color, in fact, you could JUST bring that color and you'd be fine). Half and Halfs in tan and white (deadly for corvina) in size 1/0, 1, 2 and then some Gotchas in pink, white, and chartreuse size 1, 6, 8.

In that area we didn't get anything spectacular but then we were only there for one afternoon. We did see some dark shadows that were beefy and we did catch triggers and panemic graysbys.

Oh one last thing - just buy some straight 20lb fluoro or mono - cheap stuff - I use seaguar and use that as our leader - about 14" of the sinking leader or off the fly line. These fish don't care about your leader, they'll wack the hell out of anything that's put in the right place with the right action.

Good luck and PM me for some additional info.

PS I did 3 weeks living in my camper fly fishing Montana this summer, it was epic and I'll be back for a month this coming summer - can't wait!
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 08:42 PM
Shore fishing

MontanaMan check your U2U.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.