BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Where are the best spots to see the whales?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 07:09 PM
Where are the best spots to see the whales?

What months and where are the spots?

Ive seen whale sharks in BoLA a bunch and La Paz a little, but we've never done any excursions, and nothing on the Pacific.

Who has the 411?

[Edited on 12-15-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 07:16 PM

OMG. You have three to choose from at various distances south. I would recommend the first one (Guerro Negro) Shari's guided trips, the experience is incredible. I admit a personal bias, but I hear that the Laguna Ignacio and Magdalena are good as well, if perhaps a bit later in the season.

Contact Shari to get more info. You won't be disappointed unless you arrive too late in the season.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

".... but we've never done any exclusions ..."

:?:

Don't believe everything you think....
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 08:36 PM

We went to Guerro Negro six years ago for our first trip in early January. We got stuck in a boom of whales. Tour lasted longer than expected. Very amazing.

San Ignacio we go the first week in March. There a a lot of calves then. If your wife kisses a grey whale calf your screwed for life. We go every year now.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 08:37 PM

I've only gone from out of San Ignacio, but my friends did GN last year and liked it...
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 08:48 PM

A few years back we took the boat across from San Carlos (Sonora) to Loreto. About 10-15 miles out we saw a line of maybe 20-30 whales a 1/4 mile ahead of us.

What are the months in the various spots on the Pacific? How far out do you have to go? Some trips down we load an 11 foot inflatable Zodiac in the truck. No idea what I'm talking about here, but can we take that little boat out to where they are. It handles good sized waves well and can do a couple miles out easy.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 08:50 PM

What months and where are the spots?

Ive seen whale sharks in BoLA a bunch and La Paz a little, but we've never done any excursions, and nothing on the Pacific.

Who has the 411?

GN and SI are better than mag.
I prefer SI over GN, SI is prettier location, has good mangroves, and has a different vibe. GN is industrial, surrounded by salt mine, has big govt-spec big visitors center, a dock, etc. SI is low key buildings, and you wade to get in boats. SI town is prettier, more interesting than GN town. I find GN town ugly.

[Edited on 12-15-2018 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 09:34 PM

How far out do you have to go? Some trips down we load an 11 foot inflatable Zodiac in the truck. No idea what I'm talking about here, but can we take that little boat out to where they are. It handles good sized waves well and can do a couple miles out easy.

You can not take your own boat. Panga and guide are mandatory.

[Edited on 12-15-2018 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 09:38 PM

At rattlesnake beach we used our boat to see the Finback and Blue Whales. It was early March.

For sure no boats allowed in the pacific lagoons.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 09:41 PM

Key for all locations is the weather. No wind is absolute best. That way you can look into the water and see the part of the whale below the surface.
A whale sticking his head out of choppy water might be exciting for many, but not for me. Need a stronger visual stimulant.

Harald Pietschmann
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 09:45 PM

We went to (Scammon's Lagoon) Ojo De Liebre and it was awesome. Camping was great and the "tours" are amazing!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 09:57 PM

i have been to both SI and GN. GN has more whale over a greater area. SI is smaller with fewer whales. I you go late Feb or March you'll be close to whales. There is less going on At SI, all you see is whale boats, GN you see barges taking out salt and lots of other boat traffic.

Last year we went to Shari's whale camp out by the mouth of the bay. Best trip by far, lots of whales at a remote camp. 12 Campers right on the beach. good food and great times. The price was cheap last year.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 09:59 PM

We are driving through GN and SI the first week in January. Good time or too early?

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 11:15 PM

good time

Harald Pietschmann
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 11:53 PM

Pretty sure as other have said you have to go with a guided boat, it is the most amazing thing I have ever done! The whales came to us for attention and petting, the baby was over the side of the boat. Crazy cool.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 12:20 AM

You will see whales and see a lot of mating. It seems like the the males and the females show up and leave early. Mothers arrive give birth and get get their babies ready to head north, They stay longer, most encounters are with babies and mothers. Sheri knows why more then the rest of us, contact her for the best beta about whales.
S
he posted seeing a whale or two already.
We are driving through GN and SI the first week in January. Good time or too early?

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 04:49 AM

I went to the San Ignacio lagoon a few years back in Feb. Lots of greys with babies, and excellent tour services. Well worth the visit.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 07:20 AM

It is spelled GUERRERO (not Guerro) and means Warrior, in English. The whaling support ship Black Warrior (Guerrero Negro) ran aground in that lagoon in 1858. The lagoon was known as "Frenchman's Lagoon" before that happened.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 10:59 AM

Shari’s Whale Magic Tours out of Ojo de Liebre (Scammons Lagoon) in the town of Guerrero Negro itself. This will be at or near the mouth of the lagoon where it opens into the Pacific. The “back bay” of Ojo de Liebre has it’s entrance a few miles south of GN, accessed by a dirt road off Mex 1 about 8 miles in. Overall, it’s usually much calmer and several palapas are there for camping, also a restaurant.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Key for all locations is the weather. No wind is absolute best. That way you can look into the water and see the part of the whale below the surface.
A whale sticking his head out of choppy water might be exciting for many, but not for me. Need a stronger visual stimulant.

A few years back I whale watched on a RIB in Maui (humpbacks). They offered a snorkel and mask, no one else took it (surprisingly it was cold outside) so I did. They popped me over the side and held onto my feet. AMAZING to watch the whales underwater from such a close vantage point. My daughter did it next and saw a mama w/baby. We called it "bobbing for whales."
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.