BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexican citizenship
roktaxi

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 07:24 PM
Mexican citizenship

I've searched the forum but didn't find the answers.

My Dad was born in Mexico. His Mother was a Mexican citizen and lived in the US (CA)

I'm a US citizen.

I have ALL documentation from my Dad and Mother (US citizen).

Neither are alive today.

Question: Where is the best place to get my Mexican citizenship? Salt Lake City and Denver are the closest to me for a Mexican consulate office, OR can I apply in Mexico (Tijuana / San Luis .... my Dad was born there) ?

I'm looking to retire in Mexico (no exact location yet).

Thanks in advance

M. Avalos
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 07:55 PM

Have you even contacted the Mexican consulates? Perhaps the government of Mexico has a website? I would imagine there are procedures to become a Mexican citizen. It's not rocket science. You can do it.

I'm sure information direct from the government of Mexico would hopefully be more reliable than some of the swamp gas you get from us. Mine included.

John

[Edited on 12-15-2018 by John Harper]
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 11:01 PM

My son in-law is a US citizen, but his parents were born in Mexico. A few years back he went to the Mexican Consulate in San Diego and with proof of his parents Mexican citizenship, he applied and obtained Mexican citizenship. Go to your nearest Mexican Consulate and talk to them in person.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 07:01 AM

Go to the nearest Mexican Consulate with all your documentation including your own identification and birth certificate.

It's best to check the consulate website and find out the time they open and arrive prior to opening and be in line, there are sometimes appointments available, but you really need to be there first thing in the morning. Be prepared to pay a fee, and be interviewed, understand why you want to be a citizen.
roktaxi

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 07:02 AM

Thanks for your replies.

I have searched for info, but got mostly negative feedback regarding calling the consulates. I was hoping for someone that has actually gone through the process to give me first hand experience.

I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row as to minimize, hopefully eliminate, having to make multiple trips.

I'm not concerned about my documentation as I am knowing the process, time and money. Basically a blow-by-blow account.

M. Avalos
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 08:08 AM

It can happen quite quickly, as a in few days, or if you don't follow through with responses to questions it will never be complete.

You can search online for info, you should look online at the consulate you plan to work with, make an appointment online, by email or phone call, leave a message if requested. They sometimes require an appointment even if they don't honor them in a timely manner. The process in Mexico is handled by SRE but you will work with the Mexican Consulate in your local (USA) region.

Beside the documentation items you noted, you will likely need two witnesses (names) to testify (sign) that they know you and the information you provided is valid.

You will need a photo, though the consulate usually takes the photo nowadays.

Here is a basic outline:

Find the nearest Mexican consulate.
Make an appointment by phone or online
Gather the required documents:
Parent’s marriage certificate (or divorce)
Proof of parent’s Mexican citizenship.
Birth certificate
Certificate of naturalization
Valid Mexican passport
Valid National Voter ID card (IFE or INE)
*Note: if one of the parents is not Mexican they must present the long version of their birth certificate along with a valid ID photo ID card.
Original U.S. birth certificate (long version)
Long version: includes place, date and time of birth. Also full name and date of birth of the parents, name of the hospital and name of the doctor who delivered the baby.
Identification cards of everyone who is involved in the process (passport, driver’s licence, state IDs and for minors school IDs or passport. All IDs must have a photo).
Take two witnesses over the age of 18 to the appointment.
There will be a fee but it varies by consulate.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 08:30 AM

After you gather all of your documents, make 3 copies of each!!

You could try the Consulate in Denver, but you might try a smaller Consulate as they are usually more user friendly and sometimes less red tape

This time of year, suggest you contact the Consulate in Yuma, Az. Great trip, good weather

Here is a list of Consulates: http://www.mexonline.com/consulate.htm
roktaxi

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 08:44 AM

gnukid & bajaguy : THANKS!!

Appreciate the great info.

Can't have too much documentation.

I'm tentatively working on making a trip to Baja and visiting friends in Yuma, so that could be a real bonus!!

M. Avalos
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 08:47 AM

We have a great place for dinner in Yuma if you are interested, one of our favorites. The salmon with apricot glaze is delicious

https://www.rivercitygrill.com/

Quote: Originally posted by roktaxi  

I'm tentatively working on making a trip to Baja and visiting friends in Yuma, so that could be a real bonus!!
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 09:14 AM

Call or visit the Mexican Consulate, or the actually sites that have the official information you need. There are plenty of sites with a simple Google search that will give you the information you need on both sides of the border.

There are also plenty of information in the comment sections, but like you said, you get negative, and wrong information.

I doubt there is anybody on this forum who actually got their Mexican citizenship, through parents birth rights here.

One thing not mentioned so far is that in addition to the birth certificate ( long version) that even Obama, had to show the "birthers," is that you need an apostille, and a translated version of the document.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 09:41 AM

An Apositille is required to validate US State Dept provided documents presented to Mexican government offices, for example, SRE. An Apostille is simply a form letter saying the document provided by you e.g. birth certificate, diploma, marriage certificate, is presented to the State Dept and is a US process that takes a few weeks to achieve unless done in person. For example, you send a copy of your Indiana High School diploma to the Indiana State Dept requesting an Apostile with the proper payment and your return mailing info. There is no actual validation.

In your case, at the Mexican Consulate, you may or may not need a formal translation and an Apostille for each of your docs, you would likely need a translation and an Apostile doc for US doc if submitted to SRE in Mexico.

You are working with the Mexican Consulate in the USA, they are more accepting of USA documents, they speak English, and Mexican docs are already valid and in Spanish.

You may not need an Apostille for any docs used in this process with Mexican Consulate in the USA. If you do, it takes weeks and $$$ to achieve an Apostille through the US State Dept for the state that originally provided the document. It's an archaic system that is often just a formal waste of time and $$$ with no actual benefit, but once requested you must comply.

So, in this case, since you are in the USA, don't worry about an Apostille until you are formally requested, if needed you will complete it. Once your application is accepted with no request for Apostille they really can't change their mind and ask later. Or if you are a super organized and uptight Gringo go get an Apostile for all your US docs diplomas and certificates in the world from each of the original State Dept that provided them, then you will have it if ever requested. No matter what, just smile if it is requested, act like no problem, then they will be like oh ok no problem, they just want to see your reaction to see if you are comfortable that the docs are valid.

[Edited on 12-16-2018 by gnukid]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 10:15 AM

An Apostile is issued by the Secretary of State for the state in which the document was issued, not the the US State Dept. unless possibly a US Government agency issued the document

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
..... it takes weeks and $$$ to achieve an Apostile through the US State Dept for the state that originally provided the document.......
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 10:17 AM

If Yuma, Az doesn't work out, try Calexico, Ca., about 60 miles east of Yuma

Quote: Originally posted by roktaxi  

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
An Apostile is issued by the Secretary of State for the state in which the document was issued, not the the US State Dept. unless possibly a US Government agency issued the document

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
..... it takes weeks and $$$ to achieve an Apostille through the US State Dept for the state that originally provided the document.......

Yes, you go to the US State Dept for the US State that provided the original doc. Unsurprisingly, you may contact the US State dept for help to identify the US State Dept for each state

Search on Apostille for the US State Dept for each US state name.

For example:
https://www.state.gov/r/pa/map/218797.htm

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-lega...

For anyone planning to live/work formally in Mexico it does help to have important docs Apostiled and Translated by a Mexican Licensed translator, doing it all at once can save money. For example, marriage docs, diplomas and certifications for skilled employment, teaching, CPR, FirstAid, PHD, Brain Surgeon, NASA Astronaut, etc. It's sort of hard to get done once you are in Mexico since the docs have to be mailed to/from the US office and Mexicos mail system is not as reliable so you must use DHL which is expensive and you'll need a US Notary...

Important to note that this applies to countries that signed The Hague Convention Treaty, so Apostille process does not apply to every foreigner.

[Edited on 12-16-2018 by gnukid]
roktaxi

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 02:08 PM

Thanks ALL! I'll start the ball rolling Monday. SLC is the closest to me (3 1/2hrs) and seeing my 2 daughters live there, is a bonus!

M. Avalos

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.