Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FMM office in Mexicali
tracyl

[*] posted on 12-17-2018 at 07:45 PM
FMM office in Mexicali

Hello all

Regular traveler to Baja but first time poster.
We are crossing this week at Mexicali and was wondering if anyone has recently obtained their FMM card since all the changes made at the border. Is there a new office or is the old one still open? Any information would be great. Thanks
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2018 at 09:30 PM

We always cross at Mexicali East. We got our FMM card right there. We use to walk 100 yards to the bank to pay but last year the border agent asked us to pay right there. That was Jan 2018. I am not sure if anything has changed since.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2018 at 09:33 PM

Mexicali West is where I generally cross, with the new entrance,
2-3 blks. west of the original downtown crossing, the old Imm office was still
being used for maybe 12 weeks or so. A week or so ago, on a San Felipe fb post, there was
a person mentioned that the Imm office at that new crossing has
opened up, on the left as one drives across, second hand info but sounds legit

[Edited on 12-18-2018 by sancho]

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2018 at 11:16 PM

Yes, new office is open at the new Mexicali crossing (West). As stated, big building on the left. Lots of parking available.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 12-17-2018 at 11:52 PM

We crossed at the new Mexicali West just before Thanksgiving. When I mentioned that I was pulling over to the left side get my FMM, the Border Guard insisted that I not stop and just keep going... ehhh, it's Mexico. JH
tracyl

[*] posted on 12-17-2018 at 11:55 PM

Perfect!
Thank you for all your responses

Tracy
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  
We crossed at the new Mexicali West just before Thanksgiving. When I mentioned that I was pulling over to the left side get my FMM, the Border Guard insisted that I not stop and just keep going... ehhh, it's Mexico. JH

A similar thing happened to me at the Mexicali East crossing last March! I was waved off at the first (and probably correct) place to stop, the second was blocked off, the third was an exit only, and by then I was screwed, short of getting in line to cross back into the US and start over!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 09:12 AM

When federal officials tell us we don't need one for a day trip or if we are only going to San Felipe, how do we handle one of those rare immigration checks reported here that make you go back to the border to get one? Not fun if you are 90 or more miles south. I would suggest parking at the first chance and walk back to the INM office, anyway. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 10:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

A similar thing happened to me at the Mexicali East crossing last March! I was waved off at the first (and probably correct) place to stop, the second was blocked off, the third was an exit only, and by then I was screwed, short of getting in line to cross back into the US and start over!

I cross there a couple times a year and for a while I would ask the customs folks where to park and got inconsistent answers. Once, they let me go through the secondary area to go park near the bank, once they let me park in the secondary slots, but mostly they had me go through the entrance blocked with a bar and cones but it's hit or miss on whether the guard will let you in. If not, he directs you to the third option and with a truck I can hop the curb to go in through the exit. The last couple times I've just gone directly to there and nobody has yelled at me yet.

Interestingly, that first spot is labelled for for immigration parking but is always blocked off and has cars in it beyond the cones. Even when no customers are in the INM office. I suspect it's employee parking.

You are screwed if you go beyond that third "exit", no place to park for a loooong way.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 10:42 AM
Mexicali East southbound

In the pic below:
If the inspectors do not stop you for an FMM proceed to curbside parking in the red circle beside the XRay facility on your right. If parking is full proceed to the next right turn to a road that then leads to a left into a big parking lot. After parking walk back to the marked FMM place which is the same office as customs.
If you declare then the inspector will direct you right to park under the large roofed place. Park and walk to the customs office back north. Parking is narrow and pretty tight.

Mexicali East.jpg - 148kB
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 11:21 AM

Thanks, I hadn't noticed the curbside spots next to the x-ray machine, and I did declare when they let me park under the roof. The left turn into the large parking lot is where I need to hop the curb, a smaller car might be able to hook around it.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 11:36 AM

Understand. Sometimes under the roof is very congested and wont work for a large trailer or RV and yes the turns to the parking lot are tight. Sigh.
Curb side parking beside teh XRay is a winner if not occupied should work for a big rig. With a big RV or a trailer curb side is the only option.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 12:34 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the officers that man the entrance
into Mex are Mex Customs, as opposed to Mex Immigration.
This fmm requirements are vague, it doesn't help with
conflicting info from them. Was a guy towing a travel trailer
across at San Luis recently, they checked trailer reg, said
no need for an fmm. I always have a valid fmm

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

That is why I said "federal officials" and not immigration officials, in my reply.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 02:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

That is why I said "federal officials" and not immigration officials, in my reply.

Certainly wasn't directed at anything you posted,
I didn't read your reply,
point being Mex Customs appears to be handing out,
right or wrong,
info on Immigration regs., as opposed to getting applicable info
from Mex Immigration directly

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

You're not wrong, but I would go with the guy towing a travel trailer, when he said there is no need for a FMM.

Right now, Mexican Customs is not set up so everybody that drives into Mexico, stops and gets a FMM, especially if they are making a day trip or staying just a few days in the border region.

If I'm driving in Baja, I'm certainly not going to stop and get a FMM if I'm going just to Rosarito, and either do the thousands of other people who just wiz right through the border, and don't stop for any stinking FMM.

Now if I'm going to drive to Cabo, I will stop and get a FMM, but I rather take an airplane, if I'm going to Cabo.

Of course, there will be members here, claiming, "IT'S THE LAW, AND YOU MUST STOP AND GET THE FMM!" Then they claim, Mexicans will be upset if you don't get a FMM. ( I doubt it)

But it's your call if you stop and get a FMM.

What are they going to do? Deport you?

[Edited on 12-18-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 04:40 PM

Joe, please write to us from the that prison El Chapo escaped from!

Seriously, it is a joke, but we must not promote illegal activity on Nomad and while it may not always be enforced, they have new rules since about 2015 that say an FMM is needed for ANY travel across the border, 6 minutes or 6 months long, and both the border cities as well as the tropics, doesn't matter like it did the previous 60+ years.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.