Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: car insurance for a year
Baja Oldie

[*] posted on 12-17-2018 at 09:30 PM
car insurance for a year

I have a family member who will be living and working in TJ for about a year. I will be visiting on a weekly basis. What are the cheapest options for Mexican car insurance-- probably liability only for my vehicle. I live in San Diego.
Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-17-2018 at 11:11 PM

I have a driver's license policy through Bajabound.com (their link is at the top of this page).

It is a one year policy, liability only, and I am pretty sure both drivers can be on one policy. check the site for a quote, and any limitations such as, it is not for rental cars, motorcycles, motor homes.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2018 at 11:18 PM

I use Bernie’s based in Rosarito. Super good company and you can pay for license insurance like akgringo which means you can drive any US plated car. It’s nice when there is a chance you will use a different car. And mine is priced for two.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 09:15 AM

Personally I have coverage through Discover Baja and I highly recommend that you purchase your policy through a travel company such as this or Bajabound. The one time I had to make a claim after over 40 years of driving in Baja I learned how nice it was to have a travel club behind me. They sell a lot of policies so they have significant clout when it comes to dealing with insurance companies. As I worked through my claim any time that an email wasn't answered in a timely manner I simply attached a cc: to my travel company who immediately contacted the insurance company and my emailed was then answered immediately. On the other side of the coin I must say my actual policy was written by HDI and they were excellent to work with. My claim was completely resolved and deposited into my US bank account in under 30 days.

In Memory of E-57
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 10:21 AM

im with Luke, Bernies is a great outfit. I see no reason to pay a gringo to sell me a mexican product! :D
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
im with Luke, Bernies is a great outfit. I see no reason to pay a gringo to sell me a mexican product! :D

How do you get the insurance in the U.S. as it is needed before entering Mexico?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

How do you get the insurance in the U.S. as it is needed before entering Mexico?

Good question, DK. I sent Bernie's an email about how to purchase from the US or online. I'll post their response if I get one.

John
tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 02:04 PM

What are you guys paying?
Right now I am paying about 160 USD for a year from a company that was recommended by my US insurance company.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 02:19 PM

I got a quote from Bernie's for $113.07 per year, liability only. Just need to mail a check (to a San Ysidro PO Box), clear copy of my CDL, and date that I want insurance to start.

John

[Edited on 12-18-2018 by John Harper]
tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 03:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I got a quote from Bernie's for $113.07 per year, liability only. Just need to mail a check (to a SY PO Box), copy of my CDL, and date that I want insurance to start.

John

Thanks, mine expires in about a month so I think I will try to get a different policy in La Paz if I can find one that cheap/
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tobias  
I got a quote from Bernie's for $113.07 per year, liability only. Just need to mail a check (to a SY PO Box), copy of my CDL, and date that I want insurance to start.

John

Thanks, mine expires in about a month so I think I will try to get a different policy in La Paz if I can find one that cheap/

What company are you using now? Is it liability only?

John
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 04:51 PM
HDI is German, that is why they are efficient

HDI-Gerling International Holding AG, with Headquarter in Hannover, Germany, belongs to Talanx: one of the longest and most solids groups of German companies in the insurance market which has 17,000 employees worldwide.

tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 06:30 PM

John

What company are you using now? Is it liability only?

yes, would rather pay for a new rig than go through all the hoops needed to get paid by an insurance company that is bent on not paying. Watched a buddy go through it last year and he paid top dollar to insure his very expensive westfalia syncro.

John
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 03:56 PM

I think mine was over 200 for liability only for all of Mexico. Not sure what discover Baja or instant mex(the company score uses) covers in a standard policy, but a normal policy is normally only good for liability, on a paved road, north of San quintin.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 04:01 PM

What amount of $$$ liability do you guys typically have on a
liability only policy in Mex?
In the US, I believe one can get liability
only and have uninsured motorist along with it. My understanding is in Mex, uninsured motorist comes only
with full coverage. Read 95% of Mex plated vehicles are
not insured, don't have stats to back that up.
Getting hit while stopped at a red lite
is probably my main concern

tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
What amount of $$$ liability do you guys typically have on a
liability only policy in Mex?
In the US, I believe one can get liability
only and have uninsured motorist along with it. My understanding is in Mex, uninsured motorist comes only
with full coverage. Read 95% of Mex plated vehicles are
not insured, don't have stats to back that up.
Getting hit while stopped at a red lite
is probably my main concern

This is why I no longer consider bringing my westfalia down here. As far as I am concerned , you get in an accident, you are on your own. I have heard one incident of a person being paid in a timely manner by insurance down here and several tales of hours upon hours on the phone with no resolution.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 06:36 PM

I just checked with my new insurance company, Liberty Mutual. They cover liability and damages down 75 miles into Mexico. Here's a cut from my return email:

The good news is that your automobile policy already includes coverage for any liability and physical damage that happens in Mexico, if the following criteria are met:

You must not travel more than 75 miles into Mexico, and
You must not stay for longer than 10 consecutive days

Since most of my trips are to Campo Lopez (K55), it doesn't look like I really need to buy it now. Another great reason I changed to Liberty Mutual. Even better, more reasons to go to Baja more often!

John

[Edited on 12-21-2018 by John Harper]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 06:59 PM

I just checked with my new insurance company, Liberty Mutual. They cover liability and damages down 75 miles into Mexico. Here's a cut from my return email:

The good news is that your automobile policy already includes coverage for any liability and physical damage that happens in Mexico, if the following criteria are met:

You must not travel more than 75 miles into Mexico, and
You must not stay for longer than 10 consecutive days

Since most of my trips are to Campo Lopez (K55), it doesn't look like I really need to buy it now. Another great reason I changed to Liberty Mutual. Even better, more reasons to go to Baja more often!

John

nothing against liberty mutual but isn't it odd we're bombarded with "accident forgiveness"commercials when it isn't available in california?? any idea who Kathy uses here?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 07:37 PM

Any idea who Kathy uses here?

I don't know for sure, but, I think she has a mex policy with Discover Baja, and US policy with AAA. She's having the rolled roofing on her house completely redone, a lot of it blew off in those big winds. Obviously, there were several layers of old crap roofing underneath. Looks like they've done a good job so far.

John

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 11:31 AM

John

You won't get a "different" (better) policy that cheap. This is only liability. Costs pretty much the same no matter where you buy, IIRC from $120 at Bajabound, with minimal coverage. They are all brokers for the same 2 or 3 Mex insurance companies - Bernie, Bajabound, Lewis, etc etc. From the US brokers like BB or Lewis you can buy and pay online without mailing a check or DL copy.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.