BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Long term travelers- Looking for info on possible rental/locations to settle for a bit
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 11:38 AM
Long term travelers- Looking for info on possible rental/locations to settle for a bit

Hi friends, long time no see! I used to be an active poster here sharing our travels in our 4runner camper

Heres one of my old threads: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=58702

8 years ago our very first international travels took us to Baja, its beauty and remoteness lit a fire in our soul to travel that burns to this day! After baja we ended up driving all the way to the bottom of Argentina, and then all the way to the top of Alaska!

We are back in Baja now and we are looking to hang up our hats here for a while, we are currently in Ensenada getting some work done on our motorhome before continuing south.

We are thinking of settling for ~6 months somewhere in BCS, my mind leans towards La Paz area for convenience of services/nearby aiport, but we do not particularly want to be IN the city, Dont want to be right on top of our neighbors.

We are looking for something with a bit more room/peace/quiet. I woudl say within ~1hr of town should be sufficient. Need someplace that we can park up the camper and have some room for the pup to roam about. We love both the desert and the sea.

We love to fish, hike, dine, camp, explore, and DRINK!

Does anyone know of a small furnished campo/casita/cabana/rancho for rent anywhere around down south? We are simple folk, dont need much but ATT cell signal and some clean water. Ideally a furnished place as we do not have any furniture and not particular interested in buying much of it. Our budget is about 10,000 pesos/mnth.

Once we get some boots on the ground down there we plan to hit the hunt in earnest, but figured I would put some feelers out here with you guys.

Combing through some old threads here I started compiling a list of towns to hunt around to see if we are a match. Do you have any to add?

No particular order here - just jotted down names as I came across them

La Ribera
bahia asuncion
Loreto
Mulege
Bahia Concepcion
Los Barriles
La Paz
Constitucion

My dream location would have a covered cement pad to work on the truck, a small furnished 2bedroom place where my wife could set up her art studio, and surrounding countryside to camp/explore with our dog. Conveniently located bar/mercado a plus!

Would love to meet up with some of you guys as well, I will make a new post in the travellog section to share this portion of our trip :)

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 11:45 AM

I've been traveling in Baja for the past 5 months including La Paz, Cabo San Lucas & San Jose del Carbo. There are so few camping areas left anywhere (due to development & sometimes windy weather) that I've stayed mostly in AirBnB's (Mexican ones are much cheaper than English speaking places). Most AirBnB's anywhere offer long-term stays at discounts so best thing to do is check various locations and what's available.
Loreto has very few AirBnBs and very few camping choices and most are in the $50+/day range so not a good option for most of us traveling long-term. Most of those locations you list on the Sea of Cortez side will have bouts of very strong wind. Not much listings in Constitution or Mulege. La Paz probably has the most choices but most places will be in crowded areas. There is very little camping areas unless you are in places with strong winds esp. this time of year.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 11:53 AM

I'd take a look at Abreojos!:coolup:
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamary1952  
I've been traveling in Baja for the past 5 months including La Paz, Cabo San Lucas & San Jose del Carbo. There are so few camping areas left anywhere (due to development & sometimes windy weather) that I've stayed mostly in AirBnB's (Mexican ones are much cheaper than English speaking places). Most AirBnB's anywhere offer long-term stays at discounts so best thing to do is check various locations and what's available.
Loreto has very few AirBnBs and very few camping choices and most are in the $50+/day range so not a good option for most of us traveling long-term. Most of those locations you list on the Sea of Cortez side will have bouts of very strong wind. Not much listings in Constitution or Mulege. La Paz probably has the most choices but most places will be in crowded areas. There is very little camping areas unless you are in places with strong winds esp. this time of year.

thanks, i do remember it getting quite developed around the area, and that was 8 years ago!

we have had some luck in the past negotiating with airbnb owners to rent their places for longer terms, outside of the airbnb site of course, will look into that as well!

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  
Quote: Originally posted by bajamary1952  

thanks, i do remember it getting quite developed around the area, and that was 8 years ago!

we have had some luck in the past negotiating with airbnb owners to rent their places for longer terms, outside of the airbnb site of course, will look into that as well!

thanks, added to the list!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 12:24 PM

Contact Karl ('fernwah') on u2u who has a beautiful new rental near La Paz. Others will chime in more ideas, too. Welcome back from Argentina!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Contact Karl ('fernwah') on u2u who has a beautiful new rental near La Paz. Others will chime in more ideas, too. Welcome back from Argentina!

i will send him a msg, its good to be back in Baja! I have been reading all your posts and love the recent map work you have been doing David :coolup:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 01:28 PM

Thank you! It was a lot of work and already needed to update paved road to Tortugas completed and new pavement in Laguna Chapala Valley! Will it ever end??? LOL

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 01:53 PM

Check out La Boncana too. I've been following you on your FB page, I love the life you all have chosen to live.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-19-2018 at 03:26 PM
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 06:37 PM

I've followed you guys for years. Should be a spokesman for old Toyotas that go on forever :)

Like Todos Santos and nearby areas for all the reasons you stated.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 09:06 PM

San Bartolo :cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 10:12 PM

I have a large private property in the town of San Ignacio that you might want to park on for a bit during the winter months. Please U2U me for details.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 11:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thank you! It was a lot of work and already needed to update paved road to Tortugas completed and new pavement in Laguna Chapala Valley! Will it ever end??? LOL

lol not likely! seems the roads love to shift and change every year down here, my original Baja Almanac though tattered and torn still gets us through, though many of the backroads have changed

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Check out La Boncana too. I've been following you on your FB page, I love the life you all have chosen to live.

thanks MMc, it has been challenging at times, we do occasionally miss some of the comforts of "home" but the experiences we have had and most importantly the people we have met, make up for any shortterm downsides!

i think we have started to find an equilibrium where we travel for a year, stay still for 6 months, then start to travel again when our feet start to itch!

I think baja will be a perfect place to recharge the batteries and come up with our next adventure!

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Stickers  
I've followed you guys for years. Should be a spokesman for old Toyotas that go on forever :)

Like Todos Santos and nearby areas for all the reasons you stated.

thanks for following along my friend! yes, we are confident in our old jalopy!

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ElCap  
I have a large private property in the town of San Ignacio that you might want to park on for a bit during the winter months. Please U2U me for details.

thanks Elcap! ill send u a msg

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 07:11 PM

Great looking Dog, what's his/her name ???

My vote would be Bahia Asuncion........ You should at least go there and check it out.

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Great looking Dog, what's his/her name ???

My vote would be Bahia Asuncion........ You should at least go there and check it out.

thanks, thats Taquita, she is a Mexican street dog

we found her in the middle of nowhere desert in Couhila on mainland MX, we were driving to check out Cuatro CiƩnegas and almost hit this little baby puppy that someone must have chunked out of their car window, her head was bleeding and she was covered in fleas, starved/dehydrated, 3/4 dead, probably 3 weeks old at the time we found her

Scooped her up and with some TLC we had her walking around and feeling better, we had to smuggle her across the border back into USA because she was too young to get he rabies shots needed to enter US

A few weeks after we found her and fixed her up

Now the dog has traveled to 3 countries from Florida to Canada/Alaska to Mexico, spends every single day of its life with its owners and has pretty much the best damn life a dog could ask for, quite a lucky pup!

[Edited on 12-21-2018 by defrag4]

[Edited on 12-21-2018 by defrag4]

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 05:17 PM

update!

We found a pretty sweet place in Loreto, 3/2 for $350 furnished with utilities/internet included, fenced yard for our dog and camper

its in Zargosa near the airport road, about 5 min walk from the playa and 15 mins to the centro

Excited to finally settle down in Baja for a bit!

Let me know if any of you fellow Loretians want to meet up for a beer!

[Edited on 1-6-2019 by defrag4]

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  
update!

We found a pretty sweet place in Loreto, 3/2 for $350 furnished with utilities/internet included, fenced yard for our dog and camper

its in Zargosa near the airport road, about 5 min walk from the playa and 15 mins to the centro

Excited to finally settle down in Baja for a bit!

Let me know if any of you fellow Loretians want to meet up for a beer!

[Edited on 1-6-2019 by defrag4]

Good for you, glad it's working out!

Making America Great Again
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.