Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Email and u2u privacy
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

exclamation.gif posted on 12-19-2018 at 03:22 PM
Email and u2u privacy

This site (forums.bajanomad.com) does not sell, rent, or allow third-party access to users' email addresses and/or private messages ("u2u").

The NYT is reporting today that there are additional concerns regarding Facebook's sharing of user info, including both of the above.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/technology/facebook-priva...

"As of 2017, Sony, Microsoft, Amazon and others could obtain users’ email addresses through their friends... Facebook also allowed Spotify, Netflix and the Royal Bank of Canada to read, write and delete users’ private messages, and to see all participants on a thread."

"'I don’t believe it is legitimate to enter into data-sharing partnerships where there is not prior informed consent from the user,' said Roger McNamee, an early investor in Facebook. 'No one should trust Facebook until they change their business model.'"

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2018 at 05:05 PM

Thank You
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 09:25 AM

Facebook scares me
and I ain't afraid of much....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Facebook scares me

Trusting someone else's web service for all your contributions has risks.
Talk Baja pulled out of the Internet with its own website (losing everything that was posted on it) and went to Facebook. Doug (Baja Nomad) is committed to maintaining Baja Nomad on the Internet so the priceless data (now really historical documents going back to 2002) is preserved for still more years.

Many many people and places in Baja have Facebook pages instead of their own Internet domains. I hope for all of them that Facebook doesn't crash or cause all their content to vanish. My own personal website www.vivabaja.com has been online for nearly 19 years (started out as DavidKsBaja.com). Not a lot of changes so my viewers can still find the links and photos easily. It looks very out-dated to millennials, however... good! LOL

I do have two Facebook pages for my book readers and anyone seeking Baja mission or travel details. I like that I can add photos and text to keep awareness going for a while. If Facebook crashes, oh well... :smug: :rolleyes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Facebook scares me

Trusting someone else's web service for all your contributions has risks.
Talk Baja pulled out of the Internet with its own website (losing everything that was posted on it) and went to Facebook. Doug (Baja Nomad) is committed to maintaining Baja Nomad on the Internet so the priceless data (now really historical documents going back to 2002) is preserved for still more years.

Many many people and places in Baja have Facebook pages instead of their own Internet domains. I hope for all of them that Facebook doesn't crash or cause all their content to vanish. My own personal website www.vivabaja.com has been online for nearly 19 years (started out as DavidKsBaja.com). Not a lot of changes so my viewers can still find the links and photos easily. It looks very out-dated to millennials, however... good! LOL

I do have two Facebook pages for my book readers and anyone seeking Baja mission or travel details. I like that I can add photos and text to keep awareness going for a while. If Facebook crashes, oh well... :smug: :rolleyes:

At what point did you get the idea that Talk Baja pulled out of the internet? Last I looked it was hosted on Facebook which is a platform on the Internet just like the antiquated ones others use. Facebook has 2.27 billion users and is not likely to crash (unlike this site which has very few active members and if ever hacked would likely not come up for a long time). For those concerned about Facebook security, do not put your personal information out there, nor use the computer for messaging. Use that Cell, that is being read on the airwaves all the time.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 06:17 PM

https://celltrackingapps.com/can-someone-hack-my-phone-and-r...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 06:28 PM

TalkBaja.com was eliminated by Ron in favor of using Facebook, he discussed it here and on his former website. I didn't say there was anything wrong as long as Facebook doesn't screw you and the rest of us with anything destructive to our content.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 07:00 PM

TalkBaja.com was eliminated by Ron in favor of using Facebook, he discussed it here and on his former website. I didn't say there was anything wrong as long as Facebook doesn't screw you and the rest of us with anything destructive to our content.

What you stated is that "Ron pulled out of the internet". What he did was migrated, as many, but not all, have done, to a newer platform on the internet. Just as you have tried to do.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 07:19 PM

TalkBaja is still out there with now over 41,780 members and 2-3000 posts, comments and reactions a day.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

At what point did you get the idea that Talk Baja pulled out of the internet? Last I looked it was hosted on Facebook which is a platform on the Internet just like the antiquated ones others use. Facebook has 2.27 billion users and is not likely to crash (unlike this site which has very few active members and if ever hacked would likely not come up for a long time). For those concerned about Facebook security, do not put your personal information out there, nor use the computer for messaging. Use that Cell, that is being read on the airwaves all the time.

The old "Talk Baja" forum, was on life support, the last few years it was a forum. Ron, was busy working, so he decided to let Woooosh, his moderator, basically run it the last year, and Woooosh, turned it to a negative Baja bashing forum, and "Talk Baja" went from being on life support to being clinically dead, just like some of it's old members!

I guess Ron, didn't want to go down with a sinking ship, and then started "Talk Baja" on Facebook, where most of the older members didn't follow him to Facebook.

After a few whether related storms, "Talk Baja" really took off, and attracted a lot of new members, but now it's mostly fluff stories, with a younger demographic, and with an overbearing number of moderators. I do wish Ron well.

Facebook, is an evil company that cares nothing about your privacy. Even if you're signed out, Facebook, knows what you're doing, and they share your information.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2018 at 08:26 PM

What you stated is that "Ron pulled out of the internet". What he did was migrated, as many, but not all, have done, to a newer platform on the internet. Just as you have tried to do.

No, ... enough with the fake news... if you are going to use my words then don't cherry pick.

This is what I posted above: "Talk Baja pulled out of the Internet with its own website"

This was true, TalkBaja.com was the website and it is gone, replaced with a Facebook page. I didn't say that was bad and my post was a reply to The Bajarunner who (like many) don't do Facebook.

How long have you been waiting to prance on me, again, Ralph? Try harder or just stay on your fantastic Facebook page with its restrictions and controlled content.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 08:03 AM

wahhh wahhhh wahhh. :barf: Like a little whine with your cheese. Then quit talking about TalkBaja, a site you have been banned from and keep begging to be let back on to.

No, ... enough with the fake news... if you are going to use my words then don't cherry pick.

This is what I posted above: "Talk Baja pulled out of the Internet with its own website"

This was true, TalkBaja.com was the website and it is gone, replaced with a Facebook page. I didn't say that was bad and my post was a reply to The Bajarunner who (like many) don't do Facebook.

How long have you been waiting to prance on me, again, Ralph? Try harder or just stay on your fantastic Facebook page with its restrictions and controlled content.
:barf:
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 09:49 AM

As someone who works in the webhosting space, it seems TalkBaja ran into a classic hosting trade-off: maintain a site yourself and assume responsibility for servers, networking, application software, etc., or entrust it to a third-party, understanding that you nothing in life is free. The migration to Facebook meant that Ron was freed up to concentrate on his business and participate in the group as time allowed. It also meant that group membership were subject to the policies and whims of Facebook.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 02:05 PM

Actually it freed Ron up to create more than 10 special interest pages, including a MLS style page for buying and selling property, that would have distracted from the primary purpose of TalkBaja. And make sure that there is adequate monitoring of the site to ensure it stays on track.
We all know what distractions can create.
All this and , yes he focuses a lot of energy on his job and familly. I don't know how he finds time to do it all

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
As someone who works in the webhosting space, it seems TalkBaja ran into a classic hosting trade-off: maintain a site yourself and assume responsibility for servers, networking, application software, etc., or entrust it to a third-party, understanding that you nothing in life is free. The migration to Facebook meant that Ron was freed up to concentrate on his business and participate in the group as time allowed. It also meant that group membership were subject to the policies and whims of Facebook.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2018 at 08:14 AM

I'm happy with the result, which is a vibrant online community that is reasonably well-policed. The number of active members makes the interaction almost real-time. The caveat is that it's up to the individual FB user to tweak security settings to the point where they ensure privacy without sacrificing visibility.

Actually it freed Ron up to create more than 10 special interest pages, including a MLS style page for buying and selling property, that would have distracted from the primary purpose of TalkBaja. And make sure that there is adequate monitoring of the site to ensure it stays on track.
We all know what distractions can create.
All this and , yes he focuses a lot of energy on his job and familly. I don't know how he finds time to do it all

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 09:22 AM

I applaud the effort to protect the privacy of people who use this forum. However, there is one person here who on several occasions has apparently run some sort of background check on other users and then posted their real names and hinted at various unsavory acts they may have committed. Baja Nomad users, beware, posting here may result in the slander of your name and reputation.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
I applaud the effort to protect the privacy of people who use this forum. However, there is one person here who on several occasions has apparently run some sort of background check on other users and then posted their real names and hinted at various unsavory acts they may have committed. Baja Nomad users, beware, posting here may result in the slander of your name and reputation.

Nothing get done unless you name the offending person, and give them a chance to respond.

I myself have DaliDali, following me around in threads trying to claim I'm actually a Muslim.

Over the years, I have been accused of being lots of different persons, but DaliDali, has no idea these people who attack "Baja Nomad, members, have little credibility, with their made up attacks on many "Baja Nomad" members. For example, the same people behind these attacks, claim the Goat, is a college professor.

I think it's cute, being accused of somebody you're not, but it could quickly escalate and get out of hand.

That said, Facebook, is a lot worse, because Facebook, policy is to use your real name, so when other members come after you, they sometimes not only go after you, but they could after your friends and family members, if you make your friends public.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 12:34 PM

wahhh wahhhh wahhh. :barf: Like a little whine with your cheese. Then quit talking about TalkBaja, a site you have been banned from and keep begging to be let back on to.

:barf:

Reminds me of my small yapping dog who waits anxiously for the mailman (David K) to show up so he can go crazy and try to nip at his heels. 😂😂

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.