BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: first time to Baja
llirttoc

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 08:21 AM
first time to Baja

I have been lurking here for a few years dreaming of exploring the Baja on my motorcycle (Yamaha super tenere). Very long story made very short, lol I now find myself in Yuma ready to cross the border but I am scared to do it alone for the first time.
Anyone planing on going that would not mind me tagging along? I'm low maintenance. Once I am comfortable I'll probably wonder off on my own. My schedule is very flexible, I am a laid off pipeline welder from Ohio so I am out of my comfort zone. I also have an awesome set of tools and can fix/repair almost anything. Bike is well maintained with new tires.
I would also like any helpful advice.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 08:49 AM

Cross into Baja at Tecate, Hwy 3 south to Ensenada is in great shape. Get your FMM at the border (will need your passport), get pesos at bank ATM's, watch out for potholes and don't drive (ride at night)....any other info will be unnecessary
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 09:06 AM

Or, since your in Yuma now, take Hwy 195 south to the San Luis Rio Colorado border crossing, get the FMM there and take the first right turn (west) onto MX highway 2D.

Don't speed or run red lights or fail to stop at stop signs....just like back in Ohio.

Speed limit signs are posted in kilometers per hour...not miles per hour.

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 09:18 AM

It should not be too hard to find a group to join, I have had several solo adventurers join my groups over the years. Try hanging out at El Cortez in San Felipe. That is a major launch point for trips to the south. Have fun!
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 09:47 AM

I always prefer to ride with a partner too but in all my travels I usually find a friend along the way. Stop and talk to other riders. It will take time to calm down and enjoy the slower lifestyle, friendly people, interesting scenery and great food. Take all the altruists with a grain of salt. If you are an experienced rider all the same rules apply. Enjoy the new sights, smells and sounds for the first few days. You can ferget the side mirror and ignore the posted signs, especially in the countryside. There's a lot of weird stuff out there, most of it won't kill you. Hope to see you in La Paz, Baja starts in Santa Rosalita.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Cross into Baja at Tecate, Hwy 3 south to Ensenada is in great shape. Get your FMM at the border (will need your passport), get pesos at bank ATM's, watch out for potholes and don't drive (ride at night)....any other info will be unnecessary

Do you know where Tecate is in comparison to Yuma? This is really bad advice.

Cross at San Luis or Mexicali. Hundreds of miles closer and the traffic is a fraction of what it is along Hwy 1. Much, much better for someone on a motorcycle.

Seriously, this was just an awful post.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

llirttoc

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 10:34 AM

Thanks for all the heplfull tips. In the past my best adventures have started by just winging it and not really having any plans. I would like to dip my toes in the water in the next few days just to check it out. A longer trip of a few weeks would start in Jan. I need to be in Vegas on the 30th of Dec. A friend is meeting me there and won't be departing until the 8th of Jan.

My 50th B-Day is in feb and I would like to be in Mexico to celebrate it!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 10:35 AM

Op, I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. Not at all. It's a wide open laid back place. Very easy to ride on a bike.

If you go down Hwy 5 you'll have tons and tons of wide open roads. You'll run into other bikers.

Places to hit, San Felipe, Gonzaga Bay, Bahia de Los Angeles, Mulege, Loreto, and so on.

Jealous that you will get to see it for the 1st time. Will be quite the experience.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

llirttoc

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
It should not be too hard to find a group to join, I have had several solo adventurers join my groups over the years. Try hanging out at El Cortez in San Felipe. That is a major launch point for trips to the south. Have fun!

I will probably do just this. Hang out until some one feels sorry for me and lets me tag along.
llirttoc

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 10:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Do you know where Tecate is in comparison to Yuma? This is really bad advice.

Cross at San Luis or Mexicali. Hundreds of miles closer and the traffic is a fraction of what it is along Hwy 1. Much, much better for someone on a motorcycle.

Seriously, this was just an awful post.

I looked at the map. And not sure why that was suggested. I will probably cross at San Luis. Thanks for noticing the ill advice.
llirttoc

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 10:46 AM

Op, I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. Not at all. It's a wide open laid back place. Very easy to ride on a bike.

If you go down Hwy 5 you'll have tons and tons of wide open roads. You'll run into other bikers.

Places to hit, San Felipe, Gonzaga Bay, Bahia de Los Angeles, Mulege, Loreto, and so on.

Jealous that you will get to see it for the 1st time. Will be quite the experience.

Don't be jelly!
Your helping my confidence!
And thanks for the city suggestions

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 10:51 AM

My 16 kid has driven from the boarder to Cabo. You'll have no problems.

Watch the 1st video in my sig. Your bike can pretty much go to all those spots.

llirttoc

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 11:25 AM

My 16 kid has driven from the boarder to Cabo. You'll have no problems.

Watch the 1st video in my sig. Your bike can pretty much go to all those spots.

That was epic! I gotta have a drone!
Thanks for the motivation.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 11:42 AM

YEA, I guess not warning him about TOPES is unnecessary...LOL

I hear the whales song
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 02:12 PM

I will be in San Felipe tomorrow and then off to Bay of La for the week. Not on my moto but towing my small trailer if you are headed that way? Just as others have said, pesos, insurance and go, it's that easy! I don't think you could travel Baja and not make friends, go slow and enjoy.
llirttoc

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 07:56 AM

Thanks for you help and confidence. I'm leaving for San Felipe in the morning.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by llirttoc  
I have been lurking here for a few years dreaming of exploring the Baja on my motorcycle (Yamaha super tenere). Very long story made very short, lol I now find myself in Yuma ready to cross the border but I am scared to do it alone for the first time. ....

Well, you have some advice offered up, but not much said about your primary concern....which appears to be your fear.

I suggest you review your list of fears (likely a conglomeration of things you think based on years of stereotyping the "dangers of Mexico") and prioritize them from worst scenario to "I could handle that...". Then, develop some strategies for risk management and operationalize them at least in your mind so you feel somewhat prepared to throw a leg over your "Adventure bike". It's kinda like packing an extra pair of underwear.....or prepping your bike for potential mechanical issues.

If you want to hang with a group (possibly supporting the fear-based anticipation of Mexican travel....or anyplace outside of Ohio....), go ahead and enjoy what you think is a safer option....but if you think you can handle what comes your way, take a deep breath and enjoy the excitement of the unknown.

Fear is a state of anticipation that we largely conjure up all on our own....deconstruct how you created that fear, and you can likely manage it much more effectively....

Each border (NOT "BOARDER") crossing should offer a bit of pucker factor in any part of the world (cuz stuff can happen), but as you test the boundaries of your abilities and competence, you are growing as a human....trust yourself with such "expansion" of capability.

Being told which crossing to take is the least important decision of your trip.....managing your mind is the key to a good adventure.

Have fun however you end up going about it....:cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 11:21 AM

Yes, as Ged said and remember the fear factor is all in your head. Imagine you were born there and you are driving to work or where ever.

Other countries have far worse driving habits (France and Egypt for example)!

Just be a defensive driver. Follow the signs (although they aren't always helpful).

Have fun!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.