BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for my Baja home
Disastrogirl

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 01:06 PM
Looking for my Baja home

Hello. I’m traveling down through Baja for the next couple weeks. While I’m there I’m going to be keeping an eye out for places I might like to live. I’ve done a lot of lurking in this forum and learned quite a bit about Baja living but there’s nothing quite like talking to folks who are already doing it.

I’m looking mostly at the pacific side, particularly Asunción, Punta abreojos, north of Todos Santos, possibly San Quintin, definitely near the water. If you live around these places I’d love to buy you a beer and pick your brain.

Thanks!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 01:10 PM

Welcome! We'll be in BA off and on for the next 3 weeks. Safe travels.

Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 01:13 PM

I think Asuncion is one of the smallest with all the infrastructure in place. The Abreojos fishermen are a little to watchfull for my tastes. San Quitin just too much of the stuff I don't like. That's is far down on the pacific side I can comment on.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 01:18 PM

You should rent first. Preferably all year, to see the seasons.

Other people brains are of little use to you when you don't like the place.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 01:21 PM
Bahia Asuncion House

Maybe Udo will make you a deal...............

https://plus.google.com/photos/117485002567279353796/albums/...
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 03:09 PM

Hi and welcome! We live just south of Conejo - please stop by for a beer and a chat when you are in the neighborhood! We love it here on the Pacific side.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 09:01 AM

"an eye out for places I might like to live"
What's on the punch list? Morning beachcombing, rural, a garden, supermarkets, kayaking, fishing, low rent, buy a trailer, small community, part-time only. Lots of options.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 09:27 AM

interesting name you have chosen....hahaha....stop by in Asuncion on your way and I can show you some rental and houses for sale. We sure could use some women here as many of the full timers are dudes! Maybe you want to Inn sit for us for a bit ....free room and board and you get to meet lots of cool folks.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 11:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
What's on the punch list? Morning beachcombing, rural, a garden, supermarkets, kayaking, fishing, low rent, buy a trailer, small community, part-time only.

That's the thing - needs and preferences undisclosed. Type of "vivienda" and health requirements are not the least important. Have seen this before a few times, all are gone now.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 12:11 PM

Rent a little place in San Quintin.
It has everything.
And when you want a change Baja is very close.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Disastrogirl

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 02:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
What's on the punch list? Morning beachcombing, rural, a garden, supermarkets, kayaking, fishing, low rent, buy a trailer, small community, part-time only.

That's the thing - needs and preferences undisclosed. Type of "vivienda" and health requirements are not the least important. Have seen this before a few times, all are gone now.

This is a fact-finding/reality check mission. It'll be a few years yet before I can move. I want to see whats out there and then figure out where and how I can fit in.

What am I looking for? Basically I'm looking for a place I can retire to that's on the beach. I want to see the surf and be able to walk on the beach with my dog. A vegetable garden would be nice but I'm not sure how well that would work out down there so it's not a dealbreaker. I would mostly do some art, read some books, maybe get a dirt bike. It would also be a base for more exploration of Baja. My needs are pretty simple. Redmesa had a house for sale a couple of years ago that was more or less what I would be looking for. Not too close to the neighbors but near town. I would also be happy with something more secluded, off-grid, out in the middle of nowhere. I definitely don't want to live in a suburban-style development.

My plan to be mostly full time with occasional trips up to the US to visit and take care of business.
Disastrogirl

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 02:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
interesting name you have chosen....hahaha....stop by in Asuncion on your way and I can show you some rental and houses for sale. We sure could use some women here as many of the full timers are dudes! Maybe you want to Inn sit for us for a bit ....free room and board and you get to meet lots of cool folks.

Thanks, Shari! I'm definitely going to look you up when I'm there.

Disastrogirl is a handle I've been using since back in the day when I was a bit more of a troublemaker. Maybe it's time to retire it but old habits die hard.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-23-2018 at 08:08 AM

I suggest you come down and spend a few days/weeks in a few select spots to get the vibe. Vegetable gardens ROCK here in central baja where it isnt too hot and you can grow year round which for me is such an amazing feat....being a canuck and all. Roses year round make me happy!
It took me years of visiting places to find my personal paradise but I knew it the moment I laid eyes on it!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2018 at 08:28 AM

Welcome to the forum. Hope to see you when you head south!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Gypsy62

[*] posted on 12-24-2018 at 11:13 AM

X2 on rent/dwell/vibe before you commit to buying.

Everybody has opinions pos & neg depending on their personal experiences here. I've been visiting Baja since '79, and finally moved to Ensenada three years ago.
It is axiomatic that you should be prepared to soften your Northern standards and expectations of personal integrity, honesty and accountability. That is not intended as judgment, but as a cultural 'locator'. Until you have actually personally experienced (suffered,lol) the thrill of being mildly or grandly screwed-over here (inevitable) you won't really know if Baja, or Mexico, is your ideal retirement destination. Emphatically, the downside is relative , and a great deal hinges upon your own flexibility, adaptability and capacity for forgiveness.

Above all, you should be very clear regarding your own motives and priorities living abroad (anywhere).
- Low cost of living?
- Climate?
- Bajan/Mexicano/Hispanic/Latin culture?
- Proximity to the states?

Keep in mind that the World is a big place. Mexico is locked into a dysfunctional marriage with the US, arguably to Mexicans disadvantage. Baja expats fancy themselves as bold explorers, but you can always abandon your attachment to your vehicles (and stuff) and head for a planet of alternative destinations. If you know that you want to retire specifically to a Hispanic country, consider having deep discussions with Chileans, Uruguayans, etc. Particularly inquiring regarding their insights and opinions of Mexico versus their own countries. Often interesting listening.

Many folks in Baja prefer to live in what I call 'gringo ghettos', surrounding themselves with 'merican-speakers and US culture, generally. In Baja, these communities tend to be weighted towards socal expats. If you are from socal, you won't even notice that influence. If not, you should be aware of that 'cultural' transplantation.
Obviously, that observation is going to p.o. many folks here, but after 39-years enjoying Baja I call them like I see them.
Suerte.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 09:36 PM

"suburban-style development" where you don't want to live, is not common to Baja. You will see what I mean after you've eventually done that trip.

Secluded off-grid places? Like where there is no electricity, no good road and no immediate neighbors? No comments on this.

Regardless of area, it's a different world in terms of mentality. Like previous poster said, being screwed up in some way is inevitable. You won't get what you specified, or what you thought they were "supposed" to deliver, you won't even get what they said they would deliver. 9 times out of 10.

[Edited on 12-27-2018 by Alm]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.