Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hwy 5
jkruk
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2018 at 09:17 PM
Hwy 5

Leaving south tahoe 12/26 to El centro heading to chivato, How is Hwy 5 latest update?
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2018 at 09:26 PM

Torn up but passable search "hwy 5 " lots of posts.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-23-2018 at 09:32 PM

It's a mess. The road south of San Felipe is as bad as I've ever seen it. They are slowly redoing it starting at Puertocitas working north so it isn't being maintained. The last 15 miles before Puertocitas is torn up for replacing so you have to drive on an unmaintained side road along the highway. Once you pass Puerto the new road was destroyed by the last big rain. There are at least 10 bridge and/or highway washouts along the new section with extremely poor go arounds scraped through the arroyos. There were wrecked and disabled vehicles here and there in these hastily cut go arounds. Then you get to the infamous 23 miles which is as bad as ever. Have fun.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-23-2018 at 10:13 PM

Good job Dave! That should keep traffic to a minimum for those who fear not any unpaved highways.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2018 at 10:35 PM

Nice!

I can plan for no company at Punta Finale.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2018 at 11:45 PM

It is beat up. I'm not saying it's good or bad that this road is worse than it was 8 years ago, I'm just saying it is beat up... Bad

I have pix. Uploading here is hell.

[Edited on 12-24-2018 by bajadogs]
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 12-24-2018 at 08:16 AM

I drove up from Punta Chivato end of October. If I can do it in my old lady SUV, anyone can do it! Though you drive slower on the dirt, it was overall a shorter journey time-wise than Mex 1.

[Edited on 12-24-2018 by BajaMama]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2018 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  
It is beat up. I'm not saying it's good or bad that this road is worse than it was 8 years ago, I'm just saying it is beat up... Bad

Just follow these simple steps, the site is free, and your original photos are unharmed on your computer...

Just go to www.Postimages.org, select 800 x 600 as the maximum size for Nomad (or the next smaller) in the middle selection drop-down line that says "Do not resize my image".

Next, select photos you want to show here on Nomad by clicking "Choose images".

Your photos will have 8 links each, and for Nomad or other forums select the one called "Hotlink for forums" which is next to the bottom choice.

Paste that link here on Nomad where you type your messages, you can add a caption with each photo... and you can post multiple photos at a time... double space between the links to keep them looking separate.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2018 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  

Just follow these simple steps, the site is free, and your original photos are unharmed on your computer...

Just go to www.Postimages.org, select 800 x 600 as the maximum size for Nomad (or the next smaller) in the middle selection drop-down line that says "Do not resize my image".

Next, select photos you want to show here on Nomad by clicking "Choose images".

Your photos will have 8 links each, and for Nomad or other forums select the one called "Hotlink for forums" which is next to the bottom choice.

Paste that link here on Nomad where you type your messages, you can add a caption with each photo... and you can post multiple photos at a time... double space between the links to keep them looking separate.

Hey David, your link has a comma after .org so it's not working properly.

Hope you have a great Christmas!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2018 at 09:53 AM

Same to you... there is a space before the comma, so it is all in blue text here..?
Here is the link, again (it should be blue): www.postimages.org

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2018 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Same to you... there is a space before the comma, so it is all in blue text here..?
Here is the link, again (it should be blue): www.postimages.org

Mas Mejor! Gracias!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-24-2018 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jkruk  
Leaving south tahoe 12/26 to El centro heading to chivato, How is Hwy 5 latest update?

Lucky you, trading one cool place for another! What is your choice of routes, over the pass to Carson City and down 395, or over the other pass and down 50 to 99?

I am right over the Sierra crest from you (Grass Valley), and with the winter storms, I usually take 80 east, and then down 95 in Nevada. Good luck with the storm that is coming in right now!

[Edited on 12-24-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
jkruk
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2018 at 08:20 PM
Hwy5

Over Luther then 88 to 395
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 11:32 AM

This storm didnt close the Sierra passes?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.