BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Question: Passport expired. Can I cross the border?
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 09:38 AM
Question: Passport expired. Can I cross the border?

Over at "Talk Baja' Taylor Ann, claims she is crossing into Baja in a few months, but also claims her passport expired, and she was wondering if she really needs the passport, because she heard you can cross with just a birth certificate and drivers license.

In my opinion, clearly Taylor Ann, has enough time to renew her passport, since her trip is not until a few months.( Oh wait, the Government shutdown may effect this)

Are the members here giving Taylor Ann, correct and good advice?

How about if Taylor Ann, is behind on her child support, or owes the IRS back taxes and she only wants to visit a Tijuana pharmacy for prescription medicine?

I get a kick out of reading these answers.

Taylor Ann wrote: Hey there! We are planning on crossing into Baja in a few months and were wondering what the passport situation was. I assumed you needed one, but after looking into it I’ve found a few sites saying you can cross with just a birth certificate and Drivers License. My passport just expired so I was curious as to what the actual laws and requirements were. Thanks!

You are going to need a passport to get your Mexican tourist document (FMM - commonly called a tourist visa). Without the FMM you are in Mexico illegally
Why do you need to get all nasty, By Mexico's law you need a visitors permit to be in Mexico legally, without one you are an illegal immigrant, You can not get a visitors permit for Mexico without a passport.

[Edited on 12-26-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 10:01 AM

Drivers license is all that is needed to enter to US. Legally you can not be denied access to your to country without due cause. They can throw you in secondary, or whatever, but can not deny you entry.

To obtain a visa for Mexico you need a passport. If you drive in not a big deal other than risking problems if you get stopped by police and do not have a visa. If you walk across, you need a passport to get by border patrol in Mexico.
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 10:17 AM

Taylor Ann can get a passport card in about two weeks, and it'll cost her less than a passport. Then she'll be legal.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 10:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tjsue  
Taylor Ann can get a passport card in about two weeks, and it'll cost her less than a passport. Then she'll be legal.

Keep in mind, there is a Gov shutdown, although the word is the office is likely to stay open if they generate enough fees to keep operating. It still takes between 4 to 6 weeks to get your passport. In practice they been coming in about 3 weeks, but I could see it taking longer during the shutdown.

The passport offices inside Federal buildings will be closed.

The expedited passport methods will work now, but the question is paying the extra fees worth it, seeing she is only crossing the US/Mexico border?

I don't think there is an expedited passport card, I'm just assuming it came in two weeks with you personally using regular method, which could be subject to change.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 11:01 AM
Passports

State Department services:

People will still be able to obtain passports and visas, although the State Department could curtail issuing them if those services are offered in buildings run by another agency that is shut down.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 11:02 AM

My question is why are you even concerned with what another person on a different website does?

Making America Great Again
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 12:05 PM

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 12:58 PM

We just got our kids their 3rd set of passports. Good for 10 years now, except for the youngest who got another 5 year one.

We thought about expediting them. The girl at the office taught us a trick. After you apply, there is a number you can call to check status. If you are getting close to your travel deadline you can still get them sped up. And the beautiful thing is that it's half the cost of doing it in advance. Turns out we didn't need to expedite, so she saved us the entire fee, for each kid.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 01:30 PM

In my opinion Luke Jobbins, came up with the right answer, although the rules are that you are supposed to have a passport/ passcard, to come back to the US if you're a US citizen, the practice for many is to only use a drivers license, and birth certificate, and US Customs, allows you back in, and it's unlikely you will be sent to secondary.

If you use the pedestrian walkway, you are required to have a passport, and usually Mexican customers, will fill out a FMM, which is not actually a visa, but rather it's a tourist card, although it's popular to call it a tourist visa. ( whatever)

If you drive in, the Mexican officials are not enforcing any FMM requirements, and the de facto standard for most short term visitors and probably 90% of drivers, is just to drive right through. Currently Mexico, does not have the procedures in place to handle all the traffic, if everybody stopped, nor do I think they want everybody stopping right now, but that's just my opinion.

Now personally, if I was staying in Mexico, more than a few days, or traveling deep in Baja or the mainland Mexico, then of course I will stop and get a FMM. If I travel by plane, it's required, and the fee is included with the airline ticket. There is also a procedure in place to go through Mexican customs.

I also would not worry about the six month passport requirement, that requires you to renew your passport six month before it expires. That's only in place if you're visiting a foreign country, and that country is worried you passport will expire while you are visiting their country. Mexican customs at the pedestrian walk way, will not care if your visit is brief, and the US will not say a word, if the US is your home country, and your passport will expire in less than six months.

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  
Drivers license is all that is needed to enter to US. Legally you can not be denied access to your to country without due cause. They can throw you in secondary, or whatever, but can not deny you entry.

To obtain a visa for Mexico you need a passport. If you drive in not a big deal other than risking problems if you get stopped by police and do not have a visa. If you walk across, you need a passport to get by border patrol in Mexico.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
.... fill out a FMM, which is not actually a visa, but rather it's a tourist card, although it's popular to call it a tourist visa. ( whatever)

An FMM functions as a Visa. Just because it's not a sticker in your passport like several other countries doesn't change this fact. Australia doesn't have a sticker either. It's referred to as an eVisa.

The FMM grants non-residents temporary access to MX. That's the definition of a visa, period.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 01:47 PM

Regarding a FMM:

From "Baja Bound:"

According to the INM, an FMM, or Forma Migratoria Múltiple is an "admission document" issued to vacationing visitors of certain nationalities. Although the tourist card (FMM) is also popularly known as a tourist "visa," it is not officially a visa. ... The tourist card application is now available online as well.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 01:54 PM

Regarding a FMM:

According to the INM, an FMM, or Forma Migratoria Múltiple is an "admission document" issued to vacationing visitors of certain nationalities. Although the tourist card (FMM) is also popularly known as a tourist "visa," it is not officially a visa. ... The tourist card application is now available online as well.

An SEO page on an insurance company website is what you are gonna use in this argument, really? I think DK actually wrote that for them. Or some other ghost writer. I honestly thought you were smarter than that.

This is a more legit source:

A visa (from the Latin charta visa, meaning "paper that has been seen") is a conditional authorization granted by a country to a foreigner, allowing them to enter, remain within, or to leave that country. ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_visa

"A Visa is an endorsement that grants the holder official permission to enter, leave or stay in a country for a specified time period.

The most common visa types are tourist, student, work and transit visas. Depending on where you are traveling, a visa can be valid for single or multiple visits. Some visas require an application to be filed prior to entering the country and other visas are granted upon entering the country. Certain countries require an interview or medical screening prior to applying for a visa."

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, guess what, it's a visa.

[Edited on 12-27-2018 by JZ]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 02:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Regarding a FMM:

An SEO page on an insurance company website is what you are gonna use in his argument, really? I think DK actually wrote that for them. Or some other ghost writer.

This is a more legit source:

A visa (from the Latin charta visa, meaning "paper that has been seen") is a conditional authorization granted by a country to a foreigner, allowing them to enter, remain within, or to leave that country. ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_visa

[Edited on 12-26-2018 by JZ]

“Visa” is a generic word meaning travel permission.
Travel is so easy and cheap these days. Everyone should have a passport, and use it! I dont understand people that dont have need for a passport...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 02:08 PM

JZ, I'll let you call the FMM, whatever you want. I myself just call it a stinking FMM, and I don't believe if you have a passport but don't have a FMM, then you're considered an illegal American alien, like some do.

The fact is Americans don't need a VISA to travel to Mexico. So the FMM is not a Visa.

VISAS

Citizens of the following countries DO NOT need a visa to enter Mexico:

Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Island, Israel, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, United States of America, Uruguay or Venezuela.

You will however be required to present a valid passport and fill out an immigration form for tourists and business trips, which can be obtained in travel agencies, airlines or upon arrival in Mexico.

Citizens of any other country should visit a Mexican consulate abroad to ask about the requirements and to take the necessary steps to obtain a visa. The requirements differ from country to country.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 07:12 PM

For one FLEETING second, I read the subject line and the author and thought, "My God, JJJ is actually going to go to Mexico".

Nope............still just talkin' the talk.

:rolleyes:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 08:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
For one FLEETING second, I read the subject line and the author and thought, "My God, JJJ is actually going to go to Mexico".

Nope............still just talkin' the talk.

:rolleyes:

Wait, JJJ is just another one of the randos on this board who bangs on their keyboard, but never in fact goes to Baja?

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 08:57 PM

[

Wait, JJJ is just another one of the randos on this board who bangs on their keyboard, but never in fact goes to Baja?

Wrong again JZ, just like you posted a FMM, is a Visa. When US citizens do not need a Visa to come to Mexico.

[Edited on 12-27-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2018 at 09:20 PM

Wrong again JZ, just like you posted a FMM, is a Visa. When US citizens do not need a Visa to come to Mexico.

You are a retard if you don't think it is a visa. It's the literal definition of a visa. If you traveled around the world you'd know this.

Ppl just have to jump through more hoops to get permission to go to MX if they don't live in certain countries.

But apparently you are just a key board warrior and you don't even go to Baja. So, of course you don't need a visa.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 09:09 AM

You are a retard if you don't think it is a visa. It's the literal definition of a visa. If you traveled around the world you'd know this.

Ppl just have to jump through more hoops to get permission to go to MX if they don't live in certain countries.

But apparently you are just a key board warrior and you don't even go to Baja. So, of course you don't need a visa.

Nobody calls the FMM a Visa. They usually call it a tourist pass. If you want to call the FMM a visa-light, I don't care. If you read my post, I said, call it whatever you want. You are the one who is getting anal over the definition of a visa.

I guess you can also call a zebra a horse, and you can call a passport, a visa, because with a passport, it essentially allows you to cross into some countries like Canada.

If you call both a Mexican Visa, and a FMM both a Visa, you confuse the issue, because there is extensive paperwork, and other requirements involved with a real Visa, that is not required to entry Mexico for US citizens.

It's you JZ who is the keyboard warrior, because you are the one who is attacking and insulting.

BTW, most world travels, do not tow their kids around the world with them, nor do they try to game the passport renewal system by calling them on the phone and begging them if they could hurry up.

A real world traveler, would just do it the right way, and pay the extra bucks for a expedited passport.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 09:42 AM

BTW that thread is still going on at "Talk Baja" with various opinions, where the members get caught up with their own notion of what the immigration laws are of the two countries, and what they personally would do.

LeAnn wrote: US Customs and Border patrol prefer you have a passport when re-entering the USA but will not deny entry to US citizens w/o a passport.
_________
Shawn wrote: LeeAnn Phillips that’s not the point! They hold up the line for everyone else and it’s still not legal to be in Mexico without a resident card or an FMM which you need a PASSPORT to obtain!!

I agree with LeAnn, Steve, Karen, Johnny,

I think Shawn is mostly wrong, and Liz, is wound up too tight.

[Edited on 12-27-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.