BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Question: Passport expired. Can I cross the border?
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

BTW, most world travels, do not tow their kids around the world with them...

Sorry to hear you never took your kids anywhere. Hopefully, they don't hold it against you too much.

[Edited on 12-27-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 09:53 AM

When people ask about crossing the border, they often forget to mention which direction! American returning to America have been strongly encouraged to have passports for speedy identification but other ID or verbal declaration have been accepted by U.S. agents.

Americans entering Mexico are required to have passports now and required to obtain tourist cards now. The problem with that is, the free-flowing traffic line across the border does not stop and check every car to verify this... so some Americans cross without these documents and are never asked for them while in Mexico.

All American tourists must have an FMM, per the Mexican government. Americans are NOT required to get a visa for Mexico, says the Mexican government. An FMM is NOT a visa despite that it works very much like a visa... even getting a stamp in your passport. The FMM was called an FM-T before and both were/ are known as TOURIST CARDS.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Sorry to hear you never took your kids anywhere. Hopefully, they don't hold it against you too much.

Wrong again, I used to take my kids to many foreign countries, especially Mexico, and Hawaii, in the USA, just about every year.

The point I was trying to make, is kids and world travel are not compatible, and traveling while kids are off school, is called a "road trip" or a summer vacation.

BTW JZ, David K. also says a FMM is not a Visa, so go insult him.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 10:21 AM

JoeJustJoe: “Nobody calls the FMM a Visa.”

Call me nobody!

[Edited on 12-27-2018 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 10:24 AM

It isn't and it is not me saying it isn't it is Mexico. A VISA is NOT required for American visitors. The FMM is a TOURIST CARD. The confusion is that it is acting the same as a visa, but can't be called a visa... maybe for some treaty between our countries. Mexicans coming to the U.S. get a GREEN CARD.

Edit: Here is the list of countries and if a visa is required for Mexico: https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attachment/file/8932/visasord...

[Edited on 12-27-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It isn't and it is not me saying it isn't it is Mexico. A VISA is NOT required for American visitors. The FMM is a TOURIST CARD. The confusion is that it is acting the same as a visa, but can't be called a visa... maybe for some treaty between our countries. Mexicans coming to the U.S. get a GREEN CARD.

Edit: Here is the list of countries and if a visa is required for Mexico: https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attachment/file/8932/visasord...

[Edited on 12-27-2018 by David K]

You are being a pedantic a$$. If i called your toyota an “automobile,” you would dispute that and insist it be called a “truck”

Fmm is just a form of visa

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
JoeJustJoe: “Nobody calls the FMM a Visa.”

Call me nobody!

“Visa” is a generic word meaning travel permission.
Travel is so easy and cheap these days. Everyone should have a passport, and use it! I dont understand people that dont have need for a passport...

Nobody, aka the Goat, let me answer your question to help you understand why not everybody has a passport, because I get tired of hearing people like Shawn from TB say, " Taylor, dont question it, just renew your passport, and require everybody in your group to have one. Done deal, case closed."

We have lot of people like Shawn here on "BN' too.

The answer, is passports are expensive for some people, especially if you're a Mexican-American, family with like three kids. Passports for a family of five, will set you back for about $550.00, and that's a lot of money for some families.

Other people from the US, may be unable to get a passport or renew their passport, because they may owe the IRS back taxes, or some other reason that has the Federal Gov, or State, wanting their cut.

So why not tell these people what the Mexican-American family already knows. Yes, it's possible to cross into Mexico, and back without a passport, or FMM. In fact it's very easy to do, and thousands of people do it everyday.

If you drive over the border, it's even easier to do, because Mexico has no procedures in place to require every car be checked for legal requirements, and therefore, they are not enforcing it at this time.

The law is that your supposed to have a passport, but US Customs, will let you through and at the most, will remind you of the passport requirement for next time.

Some people think giving out this information is like telling them to break the law, like if your telling them how to smuggle drugs over the border.

[Edited on 12-27-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
BTW that thread is still going on at "Talk Baja" with various opinions, where the members get caught up with their own notion of what the immigration laws are of the two countries, and what they personally would do.

I agree with LeAnn, Steve, Karen, Johnny,

I think Shawn is mostly wrong, and Liz, is wound up too tight.

STILL trolling another site...…
When you know all the answers.

yes it's a visa, no it's not a visa, yes it's a fmm, no it's not, yes you need one, no you do not, it's a stupid rule, no dammit I said I don't need no stinking fmm.

Why are you even here?....all you do is argue with people over what the meaning of is is...….Pick fights over banks, corrupt cops, jackboots or anything that does not align with your idea of what utopia should be.
For 18 years and 20 thousand posts.

And now, signing on the "evil" FB AGAIN, where they steal your personal data, while you troll along in keyboard warrior fashion, searching for anything that can be used to disparage the opinions of others concerning Baja.

Yeah ok...you have a hernia with talk baja, yeah you have a lower intestinal blockage with FB...
NO one cares.

What a guy!!!

[Edited on 12-27-2018 by DaliDali]

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 12:42 PM

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK, and then claim it's JoeJustJoe, who is doing the attacking!

Attack attack attack, anyone who looks differently, acts differently, or thinks differently.

I know there are lots of rumors about me, none of them accurate, except that I'm not white, that much is true. I'm also not an ultra conservative white old man, who wants to be surrounded by other ultra conservative white old men who all think exactly the same. How boring.

Mexico is not the US, and Mexico is not just black and white, there is a lot of gray areas, and the same thing could be said about the US, where clearly YOU COULD RETURN TO THE US ARMED WITH ONLY A DRIVER LICENSE AND BIRTH CERTIFICATE WITH NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER DESPITE WHATS LISTED ON OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT WEBSITES.

YOU COULD ALSO DRIVE RIGHT OVER THE BORDER WITHOUT GETTING A FMM PASS CARD, VISA OR WHATEVER ELSE YOU WANT TO CALL IT.

MEXICO IS NOT ENFORCING ANY FMM REQUIREMENTS FOR DRIVERS NOR ARE THEY SET UP TO HANDLE THE TRAFFIC AT THIS TIME IF EVERYBODY STOPPED. YOU ARE ON THE HONOR SYSTEM.

Ok lets hear from the square pegs, trying to fit into a round hole repeat, ITS THE LAW, YOU MUST HAVE A PASSPORT AND FMM BECAUSE IT'S THE LAW.

NEXT QUESTION: BLAH BLAH BLAH........IT'S THE LAW, IT'S THE LAW...but but nobody seems to be following the law, and even the Mexican officials just wave you through. WHAT DID I TELL YOU, IT'S THE LAW!

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

Every day, month in and month out, for 18 years and 20,000 times.
My guess is that most of those posts evoked replies, so apparently it works... :bounce:

That they do and will do.....
Mildly entertaining none the less...

And especially from someone who claims "at least Mexican heritage"

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 01:41 PM
There is a Pattern Here

JJJ starts a controversial thread for the sole purpose of generating comments which he can then attack.

Going around and around, back and forth, with varying degrees of vitriol and serving absolutely no purpose.

And, it works everytime.

Incredible.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
JJJ starts a controversial thread for the sole purpose of generating comments which he can then attack.

Going around and around, back and forth, with varying degrees of vitriol and serving absolutely no purpose.

And, it works everytime.

Incredible.

Well actually I saw how popular this thread was at "TB" compared to the usually stuff of members showing photos of dead fish over at TB.

So I thought I would bring the thread over here, since there is less censorship here, than that site.

My main motivation is always self entertainment and spreading accurate information regarding Mexico. I'm also a little like David K. I like to start threads to get the discussion going.

Bill, you're just jealous because you just love to get a rise out of people, but you really can't because you fit the profile of most members here, except that you're also a never Trumpster, and have only one issue to disagree with the masses here. ( Bill have you thought of joining the democrat party?)

Maybe, we should invite them over to the OT to get things off their chest.

Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 03:47 PM

Weirdly, I no longer have a valid passport, but I have a Sentri card and can travel northbound with that with no problems. I last drove into TJ, so didn't get checked southbound. Haven't tried walking south, but wonder if my Sentri card would suffice for the FMM?

Brian
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian L  
Weirdly, I no longer have a valid passport, but I have a Sentri card and can travel northbound with that with no problems. I last drove into TJ, so didn't get checked southbound. Haven't tried walking south, but wonder if my Sentri card would suffice for the FMM?

Brian....you must have a passport book or card to obtain the FMM document.

A Sentri card in no way replaces a passport.

You can drive into Mexico without that FMM document, but it is Mexican law to obtain one..

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 05:15 PM

You can drive into Mexico without that FMM document, but it is Mexican law to obtain one..

You used your passport card to get your FMM? That's great that they are now accepting the cards. Must be recent change because they were not accepting them in May when we stopped in to get our 180 FMM.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

You used your passport card to get your FMM? That's great that they are now accepting the cards. Must be recent change because they were not accepting them in May when we stopped in to get our 180 FMM.

I think you're a little confused there Elgatoloco.

Brian is asking, and I'll quote him, " but wonder if my Sentri card would suffice for the FMM?

Well, you know what I would tell Brian, but I'm sure Brian, is interested in other opinions than just mine.

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

Sorry to hear you had a tough go using your card.

A US issued card is the same as the book, only no pages and only good for land and sea ports.

No I didn't use my card, haven't for many years since I got the permanent resident card. No need to apply for a FMM.

I only use it at the gate going to the USA.

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 08:34 PM

I'd get one. Sounds like a reason to yank your card.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2018 at 08:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

I'd get one. Sounds like a reason to yank your card.

I agree, JZ!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-28-2018 at 08:22 AM

Just like you drove in TJ last time. You will unlikely be checked southbound. They just don't have the procedures in place to check all foreigners by car, like they do with foreign pedestrians.

If you try walking southbound, you will have to go through Mexican customs, and you will need your passport to get the FMM. There are a few rare times during the pedestrian walkway, the Mexican officials, just wave everybody through without checking passports or filling out FMM tourist permits.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.