BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Question: Passport expired. Can I cross the border?
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2018 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by Brian L  
Weirdly, I no longer have a valid passport, but I have a Sentri card and can travel northbound with that with no problems. I last drove into TJ, so didn't get checked southbound. Haven't tried walking south, but wonder if my Sentri card would suffice for the FMM?

I'd get one. Sounds like a reason to yank your card.

Absolutely! No reason why anyone should not have a passport!

Making America Great Again
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 12-28-2018 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

I could think of a few reasons why someone might not have a passport, and I'm not here to judge.

Reasons for Denial of U.S. Passports in 2018

Financial Reasons

In a few situations, the Department of Homeland Security reports that you might be refused a passport except for direct return to the U.S. due to financial debt. The first of these cases occurs when the applicant has defaulted on a loan from the U.S. government for repatriation of the applicant and his or her spouse, minor children and other immediate family members from a foreign country. Another happens when the Secretary of Health and Human Services has certified the applicant as
owing too much in child support.

Criminal Reasons

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/reasons-denial-us-passports-...

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-28-2018 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

I could think of a few reasons why someone might not have a passport, and I'm not here to judge.

Reasons for Denial of U.S. Passports in 2018

Financial Reasons

In a few situations, the Department of Homeland Security reports that you might be refused a passport except for direct return to the U.S. due to financial debt. The first of these cases occurs when the applicant has defaulted on a loan from the U.S. government for repatriation of the applicant and his or her spouse, minor children and other immediate family members from a foreign country. Another happens when the Secretary of Health and Human Services has certified the applicant as
owing too much in child support.

Criminal Reasons

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/reasons-denial-us-passports-...

Ok, there is no reason to not have a passport, unless you are a flock up.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2018 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

You used your passport card to get your FMM? That's great that they are now accepting the cards. Must be recent change because they were not accepting them in May when we stopped in to get our 180 FMM.

I think you're a little confused there Elgatoloco.

Brian is asking, and I'll quote him, " but wonder if my Sentri card would suffice for the FMM?

Well, you know what I would tell Brian, but I'm sure Brian, is interested in other opinions than just mine.

Never confused joe. Dali said, and I will qoute him, "Brian....you must have a passport book or card to obtain the FMM document". That is what I was commenting on. You need to pay better attention?

I have had Sentri for 15+ years, I have a Passport and a Passport Card and I always have a current FMM. In May the good folks at the San Ysidro migra counter were not accepting the Passport Card for FMM.
YMMV

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-28-2018 at 12:28 PM

Never confused joe. Dali said, and I will qoute him, "Brian....you must have a passport book or card to obtain the FMM document". That is what I was commenting on. You need to pay better attention?

I have had Sentri for 15+ years, I have a Passport and a Passport Card and I always have a current FMM. In May the good folks at the San Ysidro migra counter were not accepting the Passport Card for FMM.
YMMV

Oh excuse me, I had no idea that you believed Mexican customs, does not accept the Passport card.

As far as I know the Passport cards, are acceptable by land and sea within Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.

So it's acceptable if you're taking the Pedestrian walkway to Tijuana.

Now a passport card is not acceptable at the airport if you're flying, then you need a passport.

Elgatoloco, did this personally happen to you?

If so were you at the airport or pedestrian walk way?

So what happened? Did you then flip out your passport, and if so, why carry both?

Did they send you home?

Did they just forget about the FMM and let your through? If they let you through, then no problem.

Or did it happened to somebody else, and maybe you didn't' hear the whole conversation?

If that happened to me, I would ask for the Supervisor, and ask what's going on? A passport card is perfectly acceptable.

If they then refused me, I would go get my car at the parking lot, and just drive right in, because I know they do not have a check point where they are requiring foreign drivers to stop and get a FMM.

[Edited on 12-28-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 11:05 AM

In June they issued FMM at San Ysidro to three of us using our passport cards.
Also, yesterday (as noted on a different thread) I walked across at Otay and the young woman on the migra desk took a quick glance at my card and waved me on with a smile and not any effort to reach for the FMM app. "You're good," she said with a nice smile.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 11:13 AM

In May the good folks at the San Ysidro migra counter were not accepting the Passport Card for FMM.
YMMV

I went to Mike's Sky Rancho last April and they accepted my passport card for an FMM at San Ysidro. I just got the seven day free one, however.

John
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
In June they issued FMM at San Ysidro to three of us using our passport cards.
Also, yesterday (as noted on a different thread) I walked across at Otay and the young woman on the migra desk took a quick glance at my card and waved me on with a smile and not any effort to reach for the FMM app. "You're good," she said with a nice smile.

Exactly, and I have the same experience as you, when I show Mexican customs, either my passport or passcard, is about 60% of the time, they hand me back my passport/passport card, without having to fill out the FMM, after I tell them by trip will be brief.

Supposedly, the free zone, ended in 2015, and there is some debate if there was ever a free zone, but some Mexican officials, still treat a trip over the border, as it's a free zone trip.

Of course Bajarunner, some will say, just do the right thing and get the FMM, because it's the LAW! They might also tell you, to insist on the FMM, even if the custom official rolls their eyes, and just waved you through.

There is no procedure to turn in your FMM at San Ysidro. It's not wonder they throw it in the trash, although in the back of the FMM, it says to turn it in upon exit.

[Edited on 12-29-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 02:32 PM

My understanding was without a valid FMM your Mexican auto insurance was void.
Does anyone know if that's true ?
Thanks Lionel :cool:
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 05:19 PM

YMMV

Oh excuse me, I had no idea that you believed Mexican customs, does not accept the Passport card.

[Edited on 12-28-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

You would need more than a "excuse me" here Jay.
What you need is an education in the various MX federal departments.

Customs deals with the importation/exportation of goods NOT people

Concerning PEOPLE entering Mexico, the proper agency that has jurisdiction over it all is the Instituto Nacional de Migration.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 07:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  
My understanding was without a valid FMM your Mexican auto insurance was void.
Does anyone know if that's true ?
Thanks Lionel :cool:

If you ask me, it's more chisme, that your Mexican auto insurance company, will void your policy, if you get in an accident, and do not have a valid FMM.

These types of rumors, start years ago, and then it gets ingrained as real facts, because you keep hearing the same rumor, over and over again, until it takes on a life on it's own, yet nobody ever provided proof this is what happened if you actually get in an accident, and do not have a FMM.

I wouldn't listen to anything I read on some internet forum, and you should always do your own due diligence, especially with sneaky insurance companies.

What we do know is Baja Bounds, has posted or told David K. that immigration status has nothing to do with claims.

What I know about insurance, is if they are going to refuse to cover you under your policy, they have to list it on the declaration page, and they are going to list the exclusions. I would add, if they are going to exclude you for whatever reason, that it better be material, or they will have a lawsuit on their hands. I don't think not having a FMM is material, seeing you have your drivers license, passport, and insurance policy.

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2018 at 12:21 AM

Its late and I must be missing something but in this thread we are discussing that Mexico requires a "tourist card" to legally be in Mexico but on another current thread we are discussing that it is highly egregious to require the same of anyone going from south to north?

Strange dichotomy

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2018 at 06:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Its late and I must be missing something but in this thread we are discussing that Mexico requires a "tourist card" to legally be in Mexico but on another current thread we are discussing that it is "highly egregious" to require the same of anyone going from south to north?

No one has said that. I think we all expect that we should follow the rules of another country when visiting, immigrating, or seeking asylum. And visitors to our country should follow the rules we have. All tourist, immigration, and asylum rules should be respected. Just responsible adult behavior.

If the US happens to have more people seeking asylum than the system can handle, well, augment existing systems or change laws. Building a wall does nothing to stem the forces that drive asylum seekers.

John

[Edited on 12-30-2018 by John Harper]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-30-2018 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Its late and I must be missing something but in this thread we are discussing that Mexico requires a "tourist card" to legally be in Mexico but on another current thread we are discussing that it is highly egregious to require the same of anyone going from south to north?

Strange dichotomy

This thread is about answering Taylor Ann's question from "Talk Baja" on Facebook, nothing more.

The answer according to JoeJustJoe, is yes, you can cross the border armed with only a driver's license, and birth certificate, but you have to cross by car, because Mexico, is not enforcing their requirements at this time, except for the pedestrian walkway.

And yes, you can easily cross back into the US with the same Driver License, and birth certificate, because US Customs, is lax too in enforcing it's own rules, and they can cross reference who you are when the scan your driver license.

Of course others always want to interrupt the party, and tell Taylor Ann, to stay home, because the see the immigrant rules of both countries, set in stone, and rigid, or they have this imaginary notion, that if Taylor Ann, goes into Mexico, without a passport, and FMM, that she is somehow insulting Mexico, because she is not playing by the rules.

I doubt one Mexican, cares if Taylor Ann, does not have a FMM, when she enters Mexico, but some Americans, do care if Mexicans cross into the US, without the proper papers. It's called transference, where you transfer your hard line immigration beliefs unto Mexicans.

Taylor Ann wrote: Hey there! We are planning on crossing into Baja in a few months and were wondering what the passport situation was. I assumed you needed one, but after looking into it I’ve found a few sites saying you can cross with just a birth certificate and Drivers License. My passport just expired so I was curious as to what the actual laws and requirements were. Thanks!

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 12-30-2018 at 09:58 AM

Yeah Lentro, that will really invalidate everything I have wrote so far. Maybe, if you find an incorrect spelling that will work too.

BTW I don't have all the Mexico agencies memorized just like I don't have all the US agencies memorized, and so I used a shortcut equivalent agency.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 12:46 PM

Here is another question regarding a FMM over at "Talk Baja, where a member named Nadine said, that she crossed the border, and didn't realize she needed a FMM, but is now in Ensenada, on the way to San Quintin, and she was wondering if there is an immigration office in the area where she could get the FMM.

From there in my opinion, Nadine, received a bunch of wrong, dated and dumb advice from Talk Baja members, because you can no longer get a FMM from Ensenada if you're driving in your car.

And although personally, if I was traveling as far down as San Quintin, I would probably get the FMM, but at this point I would not travel all the way back to Tijuana to get a FMM, and just continue on my journey.

It's nice to see a Talk Baja, member, Carmen Living, having fun with the bunch, and laugh at the members telling Nadine, she needs to go back to TJ and get the FMM, before continuing on her journey.

Nadine wrote: Hi Nice People.

I crossed over the border in Tijuana yesterday and didn’t realize I needed a FMM. I am now in Ensenada. I was planning on going to San Quintin tomorrow and then on all the way south.

Can I get a FMM at an immigration office further south, or do I need to go back to Tijuana and get the FMM?

Thank you!

Toby wrote: use to be able to get them from port captain office
Adam wrote: Carmen Living Yes, what really goes down is you stop when you cross the border and get your FMM so when you hit that checkpoint it's all smiles and no pesos. So you can post as many emoji's as you like but what we said was the truth.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 02:19 PM

Happy New Year Joe,

Thanks for coming to "the other side" and making an effort to give some useful information to the regular readers on BM. Unfortunately some people don't appreciate the input from Off-Topic posters. I have found that myself for that reason I don't post frequently as a matter of fact I just opened my laptop to Baja Nomads since I haven't used in weeks and decided to take a look. It was entertaining on Off-Topic at times but of course there was also some stuff that could have been done without.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by EnsenadaDr  
Happy New Year Joe,

Thanks for coming to "the other side" and making an effort to give some useful information to the regular readers on BM. Unfortunately some people don't appreciate the input from Off-Topic posters. I have found that myself for that reason I don't post frequently as a matter of fact I just opened my laptop to Baja Nomads since I haven't used in weeks and decided to take a look. It was entertaining on Off-Topic at times but of course there was also some stuff that could have been done without.

Hi EnsenadaDr, the fact that you posted in the OT before, isn't the reason some members were mean to you.

There are a handful of ornery, and cranky old men who lean center-right and probably don't like educated women who they view as uppity, or it's their way of trolling.

I pay them no mind, and post what I want.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.