Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: FMM--- Need it or don't need it? The latest from the line
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-9-2019 at 01:04 PM

Just remember this the next time the film crew "fixer" says it's not necessary

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Retarded, to obey Mexican law? Even if nobody stops you at the border to check for it, one should respect the immigration law of a country you visit... In my opinion, anyway.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 5-9-2019 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mother of Dragons  
I have never gotten one of these.

Should I?

I will be flying into Cabo then renting a car and driving up to La Paz if that matters.

Please advise, thank you!!

If you're flying in the airlines and Cabo, have procedures in place in place where all foreigners will be checked and the airline will give you a FMM to fill out, and it's already added to the cost of your flight fees.

Now if you're taking a day trip to Tijuana, or Rosarito, by car, Mexico doesn't have procedures in place to stop and check everyone entering Mexico, and getting all foreigners to get a FMM, unless they enter as pedestrians, and even then about half the time they will simply hand back your passport to you without filling out anything if you tell them your trip is less than seven days, especially if you tell them it's a day trip.

Most travelers crossing the US/Mexico border, especially Mexican-Americans, know this and blow pass any stops and parking lots to get a FMM and they just enjoy their time in Baja.

In fact if Mexico, checked everybody coming into Mexico by car, couldn't handle the traffic, and the lines would be at least one hour long just like when you travel back to the US side.

So the fixer, did exactly the right thing, and that's the practice by most travelers to Mexico on brief trips. Of course, David K. could have got up on some stand and told all the TV crew about Mexican immigration laws and insisted they all go get a FMM, because some million to one possible accident. However, I suspect the TV crew wouldn't listen to David K, and would probably follow the advise of the fixer.

Of course you will get a lot of people here saying it's the LAW it the LAW, and you have to have a FMM anytime you enter Mexico, and I just roll my eyes and say.....whatever. And I usually do the opposite of the advice I read here.

The Fixer gave the better advise in my opinion.

[Edited on 5-9-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-9-2019 at 02:06 PM

I was one of 8 Americans, and the crew was very cool and respectful. Before we met, I told the producer what Mexico requires at the border. They paid for this Mexican media fixer service and while I questioned our Mexican host about getting tourist permits, it was not my intention to tell her what her job was or that she was mistaken. I went with the flow. When I am driving, then I stop to get a new one if my last is expired.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-9-2019 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Retarded, to obey Mexican law? Even if nobody stops you at the border to check for it, one should respect the immigration law of a country you visit... In my opinion, anyway.

Is someone working on a film in Rosarito? My neighbor is right now. Or was that just sarcastic ‘perfect answer’ joking?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2019 at 05:08 PM

Is someone working on a film in Rosarito? My neighbor is right now. Or was that just sarcastic ‘perfect answer’ joking?

lots of filming going on at what was fox studios.....what are they shooting?
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-9-2019 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Some movie using the Titanic bays. Think he said Chinese movie. He normally does the superhero stuff in ATL but he def said this was action down there,

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2019 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Some movie using the Titanic bays. Think he said Chinese movie. He normally does the superhero stuff in ATL but he def said this was action down there,

good to see something going on there....except for a couple zombie episodes its been dead.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2019 at 06:25 PM

I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I needed the FMM and have to tell the authorities the......."very friendly young woman at the immigration desk said Your'e good..........."

Perfect answer, who would want to intentionally give a Mex cop or other
authority leverage on you because you lack proper Immigration
papers, whether due to laziness or saving the $$ for a 180 fmm.
Leverage to extract $$$ mordida or worse

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2019 at 07:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

Perfect answer, who would want to intentionally give a Mex cop or other
authority leverage on you because you lack proper Immigration
papers, whether due to laziness or saving the $$ for a 180 fmm.
Leverage to extract $$$ mordida or worse

It might be a perfect answer if any municipal Mexican cop or corrupt cops were actually shaking down foreign tourists for not having a FMM. I haven't heard of one case where any cop was skaking down tourists for not having a FMM and I myself have been stopped by corrupt cops asking me if I have drugs or have been drinking.

All the cops would have to do is ask to see my FMM that I rarely have when I'm in Baja, and they could ask for a big fat mordida, which I would not pay.

Face it.....it doesn't happen and I doubt with all the baja sites there is one story where a Mexican cop tried to shake down a tourist a few miles from the border for not having a FMM( first hand accounts only)

I also doubt municipal cops enforce Mexican immigration laws.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2019 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

It might be a perfect answer if any municipal Mexican cop
I also doubt municipal cops enforce Mexican immigration laws.

Curious as your repeating the reference to City Cops,
I didn't indicate which Police Agency. You seem to be unsure
on Fed cops jurisdiction.
Most of us don't spend time stumbling down Revolution
Ave., intoxicated running into City Cops. Being involved
in a serious Hwy accident, your advice is that having proper Imm papers is not necessary. I hope no one takes that advice

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-10-2019 at 08:38 AM

On this note.
Mexico Immigration will only accept a Passport or card for FMM. No enhanced IDs.
It only takes a few minutes to get and is about $30.
Always obey the law.
And why take a chance. Not worth ruining you trip for.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 5-10-2019 at 08:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

Curious as your repeating the reference to City Cops,
I didn't indicate which Police Agency. You seem to be unsure
on Fed cops jurisdiction.
Most of us don't spend time stumbling down Revolution
Ave., intoxicated running into City Cops. Being involved
in a serious Hwy accident, your advice is that having proper Imm papers is not necessary. I hope no one takes that advice

The reason I bring up municipal cops is because those are the Mexican police tourists will run into and they don't enforce immigration laws. Then again, there are the Federal Preventive Police, and I don't think they enforce immigration laws. The INM does immigration, as does the Mexican military. I would rack my brain, listing all the city, state, and Federal police, and what each department did, but feel free to list it.

I just believe the majority of Mexico visitors hit the cities and beach areas not the dirt bike trails.

"Stumbling down Revolution?" Who does that?; Maybe 20.years ago, althought there are a lot of new hip bars in the area, but hardly places older Nomad members would visit.

The fact that you have or not have a FMM and get into an accident in Baja will have no bearing what happens to you, and it sounds like you are rehashing old wives tales without being specific.

I would be more concerned if I had health insurance in Baja if I got into an accident than having a FMM.

[Edited on 5-11-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-10-2019 at 11:36 PM

I heard one...
The insurance you buy is to insure the driver... not the car.
And if you are not in the country legally, techically you license is not valid. The insurance can refuse to honer it's contract obligation because the insurance doesn't cover a non-valid license.
I know. A bit contrived. But plausible enough to make you wonder...
I had a hard time hearing all that over the music and bar noise.
From Howard. Lived there like 100 years on Old Mill road. Kind of across the street and down a little. Super cool. Old hand.
If you get to Jardine's opening time of happy hour (6pm I think) and for about hour or so after...
You can ask him yourself...

[Edited on 5-11-2019 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 07:57 AM

Mike, the owner of Baja Bound Insurance, Baja Geoff, has spoken to their provider and was assured that immigration status (having the tourist card) is not considered when honoring a claim.

You must not be DUI, however!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 08:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

"Stumbling down Revolution?" Who does that?; Maybe 20.years ago, althought there are a lot of new hip bars in the area, but hardly places older Nomad members would visit.

The elder nomads may not be stumbling drunk on Ave Revolution in TJ, but I know there are plenty of gray-haired (and bald) nomads stumbling drunk in San Felipe, BOLA, Mulegé, etc.

P.s. people should read their insurance contract, and not rely on hearsay from bloviating nomads regarding the need to have an fmm to ensure their auto insurance is valid!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
I heard one...
The insurance you buy is to insure the driver... not the car.
And if you are not in the country legally, techically you license is not valid. The insurance can refuse to honer it's contract obligation because the insurance doesn't cover a non-valid license.
I know. A bit contrived. But plausible enough to make you wonder...
I had a hard time hearing all that over the music and bar noise.
From Howard. Lived there like 100 years on Old Mill road. Kind of across the street and down a little. Super cool. Old hand.
If you get to Jardine's opening time of happy hour (6pm I think) and for about hour or so after...
You can ask him yourself...

Oh no not the well regarded myth that if you get in an accident in Mexico/Baja, your auto insurance company won't pay the claim!

Well, that's a very popular myth on "Baja Nomad" and especially "Talk Baja," where it's repeated ad nauseam, as it's a fact. ( if you think it's a fact prove it)

Fishbait, in general when you get car insurance, it's the car that's insured and you follow the car, and it's one of the reasons why BajaGeoff, believes a car insurance will pay an auto claim even if you don't have proper documentation, in addition he said, he never heard of a car insurance claim not being paid because lack of proper documents, although he also said, he rather err to the side of caution.

You can also get auto insurance that covers the person, the car, or both.

Just recently over at "Talk Baja" they had the same myth going about getting into an accident and not having a FMM, and how your claim won't get paid. They had about 20 members in a roll, confirmed the myth, and said, you must have a FMM or your auto policy will not pay up, before one of their new moderators, who is tax attorney, poured cold water on that myth, and went on to explain why it's not true.

Remember, with insurance companies it's about all the declaration pages, and exclusions, that you have to read carefully what's excluded, and it should be material, and in my opinion not having a FMM is not material, especially when the US/Mexico border is wide open, and Mexico doesn't require cars to go through custom checks.

Fishbait, I'm also bothered anytime a member tells others to always obey the law, when I know for a fact they themselves don't always obey the law. I will leave it at that.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 01:35 PM

If I am violating a law... please inform me and I will stop.
Pilots always fly by the regs.. if they want to keep their ticket...
We don't lie, cheat, or steal etc..

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 01:36 PM

I may make fun of things... but that don't mean nothin'

TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 02:11 PM

Somebody way above wrote:

"We need to also know the laws in Mexico, and that even as a foreigner, you have basic human rights, and Constitutional rights, regardless of citizenship or FMM tourist permits."

While this is a nice idea, my 30 years of living abroad in six different countries says, if you are the foreigner, in any situation, you really don't have any rights at all. Be smart. Be as legal as you can.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 07:49 AM

I have never been arrested. Ever. I have gotten three moving violations, two for speeding and one for crossing double double yellow lines (did not know that was illegal). I used to enter Mexico w/o an FMM/permit. Until I learned it was a legal requirement. Since then I have never entered Mexico illegally. Once you know the law I feel it is disrespectful to intentionally disobey it (well, except for speeding....).

[Edited on 5-12-2019 by BajaNomad]
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.