Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: FMM--- Need it or don't need it? The latest from the line
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 07:28 AM

I was replying to Joe, and that is what I experienced. It is all in the past. Moving on now.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 08:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by solosancarlos  
The great Bajagringo used to grace us with his infinite knowledge of Baja Mexico here years ago.

Does anyone recall the time he decided he was going to tell the Mexicans partying in the lot next to his (in SQ) to keep it down ?

And it is Hurricane season again. I really don't know what we would do without his accurate (lol) forecasting of storms impacting Baja.

I don't think it was partying next door, but I'm not going there.

I do want to comment on the weather forecasts at "TB." I think the strong hurricane, put "TB" on on the map, because a lot of people started to follow the site when they were reporting about the hurricane, but that was years ago.

TB continues to provide weather reports, which in my opinion is silly, since most days are sunny, clear, and warm or hot, depending on the month of the year they are reporting. There just are not a lot of surprises with the weather in Baja from month to month, and when it rains it's a welcomed relief.

Again, they just take themselves too seriously, and even if a hurricane comes, there will be many places to get the hurricane information, and usually with hurricanes you get advance notice to get out of town.

solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 11:19 AM

I am being harsh but that's my diminishing patience with people from these sites concerning Baja.

RG provided his first glimpses of his potential idiocy to me years ago when Mike Y needed help with his Burro. If anyone ever wants to know what really happened that week feel free to contact me. I was there and only a couple of other people were, too. The week before he had trouble was my first introduction to Baja Nomads. The info provided by many here was instrumental in locating Mike in such short time. It was you folks here that were the heroes, the rest of us just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time.

Alas,RG proved to be a real wank after the fact so hearing of his time in Hospital after his unsuccessful efforts at negotiations up in SQ was not a surprise

As far as Dave well, I should have realized he has to play his hand the way he does. It is politics after all.

Concerning the weather in Baja (and those who have christened themselves meteorologists for the region) the fact remains at this:

We ALL get our weather info from (or at least have some access to) professional National Government departments. space agencies and science & research centers. Businesses or individuals who pay for more advanced access get more info, this we all know. When RG or bobby I-am-now-an-online-weatherman starts telling us "whats going to happen" and critiquing people for not knowing what they know it becomes rather pathetic. We have a retired engineer down here (who contributes to a payfor weather site0 get his head stuck so far up his precious models that he forgets to even stick his head out the window or recognize local weather trends and cycles. He will be so far off in his forecasts for the daily winds here that you almost want to feel sad for him.

Another one who has his own website down here was claiming it was blowing over 100mph when we had a brush by Hurricane Lidia in 2017. It maybe blew 60 - 80, that's it (but holy crapola did it rain). That clown is our local Mr Dengue Fever - Chicken Little. Whether it is his mosquito breeding center (all for research of course) or his complete blathering about all things irrelevant one can only wish that someday his keyboard fails him for at least a week.

So, big deal mr online weatherboy, you just ran the Windy.com model and it shows a storm potential forming next week. From Seattle, Sacramento, San Diego, San Quintin, or Sand-your-Dolphin you are going to now sound the bugle and tell us all to prepare for evacuation ?

Observe the posts & posters this summer here. Every year it gets worse and worse.

It resembles this selfie culture we now live in today. As if people spend their entire days contriving ways to feel like they are a part of this narrative called life.

Get your tourist card or don't get your tourist card. It is your choice after all.

What was the point of this post again ?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 11:36 AM

Solo, are you Kevin?
I was happy to provide the satellite location of Mike and Don Kay as they walked to Cabo. When his distress message was transmitted and I posted, you guys at Solosports and Baja Gringo really were great offering assistance. The thanks also go to Doug ('BajaNomad') for having this forum so we could all help.
How Mike and his burro were rescued was going to be revealed in his book. Alas, the publisher vanished with the manuscript before it ever got printed. Mike is living the Baja dream in Loreto. We traveled one day together in 2017 during my Baja Bound research trips.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 12:29 PM

Nope, not Kevin
worked with them and was posted there when the Mike debacle occurred
your info was crucial to quickly zeroing in on him. he was also smart. He had put his bright orange vest on and was on the beach hoping to flag down a panga going by

hard to believe it was almost 9 years ago now
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 04:43 PM

Here is some replies in that "Talk Baja" thread about the FMM, and warning members to not deviate from the company line, that everybody needs a FMM anytime they cross the border, no exceptions, despite the fact many foreigners fly right through with their car border without stopping and getting the FMM.

You have the usual comments, for example, Matt wants to know what happens in you visit Baja without a FMM, and Samuel jumps down his throat, and tells him it's the LAW! And then Samuel transfers his xenophobia beliefs onto the Mexican people, and says it's disrespectful to visit Mexico, without a FMM, although he presents no evidence Mexicans even care how Americans visit Mexico.

Ron, gives a tear jerking story how this one person was in San Juanico, without a FMM, when he heard his father had a heart attack. Ron, claims he tried to fly back to the states, but was turned away at the airport, because he couldn't prove when he entered Baja. Sadly, his father died, by the time he made it back by bus.

Hey, he should have asked me, I would have told him to take the airplane from southern Baja, to Tijuana, and then walked over the border, and he would have been able to see his father.

Darmaris, repeats the common myth, that he if you don't have a FMM, and get into an accident the Mexican insurance company will not pay the claim, and Darmaris, says it's in the fine print.

When somebody asks Darmaris, to show him the fine prints, Ralph, I think one of the goon moderators, jumps in and says, " doesn't matter, and you should always follow the law. No Ralph, lets see the policy where it actually says that.

Matt wrote: I'm not arguing to NOT get it... I'm just asking for actual examples of what happens if you don't have one... so far, it seems like "nothing" except them saying you need to go get one, LOL.

Samuel wrote: here it goes again,' why do i need one, never asked for one", because is the law, and for mexicans is totally disrespectful that there is only a goose on this approach, and also the the " USA is full of illegals" will pop out eventually ( it is hard to understand this posture from "first world " citizens", do as you please, just don't complaint if by disobeying the law you get into a very unpleasant experience. ( AND GET KICKED OUT OF THE GROUP IN THE PROCESS, FOR PROMOTING ENTITLEMENTS) OUT.
Ron wrote: know somebody who rode along with friends down to surf at San Juanico without an FMM and after his first day in the waves learned his dad had a massive heart attack and caught a ride to Loreto to catch a flight back. He was turned away as he had no legal proof of entry and had to catch a bus back to the border and fly out of San Diego. He arrived hours after his dad had passed,
Darmaris wrote: If you have Mexican insurance and NO FMM and you are in an accident, it voids your insurance coverage. It’s in the fine print of the policy. It’s a must to have the FMM, you are visiting their country and it’s their LAW.
Ron wrote: Yes, most policies do have the restriction and yes, it has not been enforced much but like all things down here and especially in these times of heightened awareness as to immigration issues (as per bus thread), I wouldn't want to bet on it continuing that way...

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 07:55 PM

WOW. Then I guess you all have no problem with central/south Americans and Mexicans coming into the USA without a permit or Visa.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 07:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
WOW. Then I guess you all have no problem with central/south Americans and Mexicans coming into the USA without a permit or Visa.

If they cross in legally the same way we cross south into Mexico, then no. Of course, we check every person coming in to be sure they have documentation. Mexico does not. They could if they wanted to.

If they break through the border anywhere they choose, to avoid the law, then it is a problem, as it would be for Mexico if they didn't want law-breakers.

Mexico wants as many Americans to come south as possible so they do not create a traffic jam going south. Having the FMM is a technicality and the right thing to do but in many if not all cases, it is just extra paperwork and serves no purpose other than to feed the bureaucracy. Many times at the border, officers tell Americans they don't need one if just going for the day or staying in Baja Norte a short time. They really seem to hate doing the free 7-day one... no money, so it is a cost and a waste to them. Because it is so difficult to get back to the INM office when returning to the U.S., they encourage getting the pay 180 day one as it does not need to be returned... Just another income source since it is not being used to track the time we are in Mexico.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 08:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by norte  

If they cross in legally the same way we cross south into Mexico, then no. Of course, we check every person coming in to be sure they have documentation. Mexico does not. They could if they wanted to.

If they break through the border anywhere they choose, to avoid the law, then it is a problem, as it would be for Mexico if they didn't want law-breakers.

Mexico wants as many Americans to come south as possible so they do not create a traffic jam going south. Having the FMM is a technicality and the right thing to do but in many if not all cases, it is just extra paperwork and serves no purpose other than to feed the bureaucracy. Many times at the border, officers tell Americans they don't need one if just going for the day or staying in Baja Norte a short time. They really seem to hate doing the free 7-day one... no money, so it is a cost and a waste to them. Because it is so difficult to get back to the INM office when returning to the U.S., they encourage getting the pay 180 day one as it does not need to be returned... Just another income source since it is not being used to track the time we are in Mexico.

Another hypocrite adocating breaking the law. Just like in the USA, when in Mexico without proper paper work, regardless of where you cross, it is against the law.

Would it be OK for Mexicans to cross the border North without paperwork because it is a hassle? And all they are doing is feeding an ever larger bureaucracy? After all...it is just a technicality.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 09:10 AM

Oh, not at all... just stating the way it is, or has been. Try to see the world as it really is and not a land of rainbows and unicorns and open borders to all.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Oh, not at all... just stating the way it is, or has been. Try to see the world as it really is and not a land of rainbows and unicorns and open borders to all.

Funny..According to your earlier post the rainbows, unicorns and open borders are for those traveling south.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 09:43 AM

It is whatever Mexico wants it to be. The same is true for crossing north.

Do you close or lock your front door or leave it wide open? It is your decision.

JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 01:14 PM

99% of crime in Mexico goes unpunished. pretty sure the 1% that does has nothing to do with FMMs.

BAJANOMAD>TALK BAJA all day.

https://www.insightcrime.org/news/brief/mexico-impunity-leve...
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 11:27 PM

According to this article, immigration check points are being deployed. If you're not a criminal, I suppose one doesn't have to worry if you can't produce your FMM......

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2019/06/2-american-fugitives-a...
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2019 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
According to this article, immigration check points are being deployed. If you're not a criminal, I suppose one doesn't have to worry if you can't produce your FMM......

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2019/06/2-american-fugitives-a...

I doubt the two gang bangers, had a passport either, let alone a FMM.

Of course criminals from America, making a run for the border is often a goal and pass time of criminals from the US.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it, because myself and most Americans probably would not find themselves in the Lomas de la Presa, neighborhood of Tijuana, that is a very poor area that is crime ridden, has cartel activity and seems to have adjacent areas of the city under the control of Mexican army, according to this article. These type of neighborhoods often have check points that may abuse Constitutional rights.

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?CategoryId=14091&Article...

There is still the fact that the majority of foreigners driving into Mexico, do not stop and get a FMM for whatever reason, and there is also the fact when you walk in as a pedestrian, often Mexican or INM officials, wave you right through after you tell them your stay in Baja will be less than 7 days.

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2019 at 09:40 AM

Amazing how quickly the OP's post gets off topic.
Just a reminder, this thread is about FMM's - need or don't need it....
My eyes practically glaze over when the topic takes a sharp left or right (pun intended). Maybe the mods should simply delete off topic responses....

I responded to the thread, hoping I'd get some input if Mexican Immigration has started to initiate random pop up check points.

[Edited on 6-29-2019 by KasloKid]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2019 at 09:46 AM

Ok back on track, kinda of as I bring up another "Talk Baja" post that deals with crossing the border, except this time Diego, a member wants to know what he needs to cross the border a short time with his dog.

I for one who never trust anything I read on "Talk Baja" because rarely do you see the member there ever link a source with the actual information someone needs to cross into Mexico with a dog, and they usually go full on alarmist, type posting bringing up things you don't actually have to do just to bring your dog to Mexico.

Check out all the things some members think is required just to bring their dog to Mexico, followed by stupid comments like, it's better to be safe than sorry!

You could probably get by with just a rabies certificate when driving in Mexico, although official, you probably only need a recent health certificate with rabies shots, and certificate saying the dog is free of worms. Any problem, you could take care of it in Mexico, with a trip to a Mexican vet, or a vet comes to you for a lower price than a vet in the states.

I'm just surprise nobody said, your dog needs a FMM, to get into Mexico, and it's insulting to the Mexican locals, if you try to cross your dog illegally into Mexico, without all the proper paper work.

Diego wrote:Do I *really* need a health certificate for my dog when spending a short amount of time in Baja? Traveling by car.
_______
a few comments:

Andrew wrote: We had one but we’re never asked for it at any check points.

Andrew wrote" wasn’t asked for it at the crossing and neither did the 5 other dogs in our group, but like I said we still had it just incase. Just depends how risky the owner wants to be with their dog.

Robert wrote: Better to have and not need than need and not have

Caroline wrote: As long as you have proof of vaccines including rabies you will be fine if you get stopped.

Kim wrote: I have been asked for them, better safe than sorry

Sheila wrote: Many people bring their pets across the border and are never asked. However, if you asked you will need to provide an International Health Certificate and a lab report on a fecal sample that declares that your pet has been tested for worms and parasites and been declared worm and parasite free. International Health Certificates and the fecal test are expensive. Call vets in your area to find a bette price. My vet was charging me $100.00 for the HC plus the fecal test. Then, he upped it to $195.00!!!! That’s when I called around and found a vet who did it for $50.00. It pays to shop around!

Diego wrote: Per USDA APHIS (https://www.aphis.usda.gov/.../by-country/pettravel-mexico), all that's needed is health check-up, rabies vaccination, and ecto/endoparasite treatment (fleas and worms). Not sure why you needed a fecal test. But that aside, yeah, it's expensive. Came out to $250 for me (75 for the check-up, 120 for the cert, 60-ish for the worm treatment only as he's already on flea treatment).

Marti wrote: You should always be over prepared, as you never know in Mexico when you will get that one person who calls you for everything!

Joanna wrote: You will be a guest in Mexico. If it's too much trouble to follow the Mexican rule, just don't bring your dog.

Why don't you people ever just Google, and search for your answer there? Some of your stupid and alarmist posts sure are irritating and funny at the same time.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-29-2019 at 10:08 AM

I have only been asked once for any paper work on my dog. It was crossing northbound at Tecate, and all he wanted to see was shot records.

I had the approved health certificate in hand, but he did not even look at it. I should mention that it was a day when there was only one car ahead of me, and he asked few more than usual other questions, almost like he was killing time until another car pulled in behind me!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2019 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
Amazing how quickly the OP's post gets off topic.
Just a reminder, this thread is about FMM's - need or don't need it....
My eyes practically glaze over when the topic takes a sharp left or right (pun intended). Maybe the mods should simply delete off topic responses....

I responded to the thread, hoping I'd get some input if Mexican Immigration has started to initiate random pop up check points.

[Edited on 6-29-2019 by KasloKid]

KasloKid, don't go crying to a mod, especially when this site doesn't have any mods, like "Talk Baja" with six mods, this site only has the owner, so don't over work him.

I think it's always fun to talk about Trump, especially since his venom is often aimed at Mexico.

I also think you KasloKid, are going mini alarmist, trying to hint about random pop up check points, base on the alarmist site, "Borderland Beat" translated article. It's common for the Mexican military, who can enforce immigration laws, in bad areas of cities, like Tijuana, but you rarely see those check points in tourist areas, unless you consider red light districts, like the Zona Norte area tourists areas?

I have heard of the INM doing bar raids in those bars in Tijuana, supposedly looking for foreign trafficked women from other areas of Latin America, but rarely do they find anything, although they check everybody's ID, in the bars.

Other than that, you are not going to see the INM near popular tourists areas of Baja, although you will see local Mexican street cops, that don't enforce immigration laws.

One question that always comes up is that even if you are caught without a FMM, a few miles from the border by INM or a street cop, what's the penalty? Deportation? If so, so what, you're only a few miles from the border.

Not even corrupt Tijuana cops, ever bother tourist because a lack of a FMM. It just doesn't happen, nor have I ever heard a first hand account of anything happening if you're a few miles from the border and in Mexico, without a FMM.

Then you have the fact Mexico, doesn't have procedures in place to check all the cars coming in Mexico, and making sure foreigners get the FMM at this time.

Yeah, I know somebody will say, it's better to be safe than sorry, but it's your call. I'm just reporting what I see.

[Edited on 6-29-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2019 at 10:55 AM

Joe, sorry that you see me as being an "mini alarmist", but that's your right and opinion to say whatever comes to your mind. I do take offense to your comment "crying to a mod". I guess that's your way of bullying someone into submission.. If a comment or in this case, a question, doesn't meet your extreme views of anti FMM, then you go to great lengths to argue the reasons of not having to get one.

May I remind you the topic is "FMM--- Need it or don't need it? The latest from the line"

What in the hell does political bashing have to do with the topic? There is a forum for this sort of ideological thinking and expression, why not keep it there?

The fact remains that I simply asked a question, quoted an article and you call me a mini alarmist. I'm just sticking to the topic, especially regarding the last part of the OP's topic "The latest from the line"
The way I see it is I contributed to the OP's original post and not many have, including yourself.

Politics and religion are the two biggest topics that will draw the ire of most people. When it infiltrates and dominates a post that has the sole intent of gathering information specific to the OP's question, it takes away the validity of the forum.

I didn't know that there aren't any moderators... I just now read in the FAQ section about becoming a mod and the answer was "Most of the time the answer is no, but ask your Admin."
I guess it's kinda like the "Wild West" without law enforcement here...

So at the end of this topic, I'm not going to respond to any comments that aren't in keeping with the OP's post.

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.