BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Motorcycle trip question.
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 03:55 PM
Motorcycle trip question.

I am thinking about taking a trip down the Baja peninsula in a trail motorcycle. What would you consider the best used trail bike for such trip? Honda XR 250, 350 etc. I need to be able to drive it from Walnut creek east bay down hiway 1. Would like the smallest possible in order to be able to pick it back up if I fall on the dirt, trail, beach etc. used to ride a honda xr 350 in the 70's. Would like to take a trip on the cheap, camping, fishing, any one interested? I could do it on a bicycle but that's more like work and you can't outrun a semi if need be. I could take my camper and diesel truck but that's a lot of stuff. Simplicity and minimalism is calling me.
Thanks for your replies, I expect some s!!t as well. Viva Mexico cuates.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 04:10 PM

I love this idea.
But I don't think I can ever make myself drive a 250 Honda down the pennisular.
I was ruined by the invention of the "pickup truck".
:coolup:

Throw a bike and camping gear in ranger or tacoma.

[Edited on 12-29-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 04:15 PM

The XR250 and XR350 were excellent bikes in their day, and if you can find one in good condition would work fine. I have had both. I now ride a KTM XC-W 300 2-stroke. It's lighter and more capable than either of the XRs, and not much taller. I may be interested depending on when, as may be a friend or two, IM me with details. Have fun!
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 04:16 PM

I know what you are talking about, but like they say it's now or never for me. Turning 62 and in good shape but eventually a motorcycle will not be an option. I would like to drive a few hours a day at most from town to town, beach to beach. Fish tacos and cervezas, siesta time. No marathon here. Looking at Baja in a slow paced manner. With a sore back.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 04:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
The XR250 and XR350 were excellent bikes in their day, and if you can find one in good condition would work fine. I have had both. I now ride a KTM XC-W 300 2-stroke. It's lighter and more capable than either of the XRs, and not much taller. I may be interested depending on when, as may be a friend or two, IM me with details. Have fun!

That sounds perfect.
I still have a 2006 Honda CRF450 in my storage. Not a great trail bike but great on 100 foot jumps.
Still trying to figure out what to do with it. My 100 foot jump days are over.
It would haul donkey on the highway with supermoto tires. Probably do 100 mph no problem. Too scary.
I need a nice trail bike and a small motocross track for my 450... like 50 foot jumps biggest... mostly smaller.
But I would love to ride in the mountains by Mike's Skyranch. Some mellow single track on something very nimble and torqey.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by deportes  
I know what you are talking about, but like they say it's now or never for me. Turning 62 and in good shape but eventually a motorcycle will not be an option. I would like to drive a few hours a day at most from town to town, beach to beach. Fish tacos and cervezas, siesta time. No marathon here. Looking at Baja in a slow paced manner. With a sore back.

I hear you brother.
I'm having Baja and Dirt bike dreams alot these days. I squeeze it in between fishing and flying fantasies.

I love my truck. The only way it gets better is with a dirt bike in the back and a ... well you know;)

deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 04:31 PM

Sounds like fun, I need a street legal bike in order to drive it down Hiway 1 from SFO area. You sound like you had fun riding at one point.
I will keep you in mind for a possible trip. I am retired and it's time to travel without a care. Como dicen en Mexico, manana!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 04:38 PM

You are ballzy that is forsure!

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 04:43 PM

I have a fishcamp in San Quintin.
I am most definately going to learn all the trails in the mountains.
And explore out from there. And find or build a "vet" moto track near my camp.
Now I want a turbo UTV like in see in the 1000. Wow!

deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 04:45 PM

Between ballzy and stupid there is a fine line, is it my brain playing tricks on me? I could just stay home and sail in clearlake, BBq. watch movies, drink great lake county wines. Old age dreaming i guess.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 05:09 PM

The newer bikes are much better in what they can do BUT they are also much more complicated when it comes to repairs and service. A 2 stroke is out of the question as far as making a solo trip down Baja unless in a group. Mixing oil with PEMEX gas is sometimes iffy at best. I can't say much for other brands but the XR air cooled Honda is an excellent bike as long as you don't keep it wide open for any long period of time. My last bike was a 2004 XR250 (last year they were made) and it was a great bike for me. I put a lowering link on it and had the seat shaved, those two combined dropped the seat height about 2 inches. A 4 gallon tank and Scotts steering stab. made it a great trail bike for Baja or the desert. I often thought of doing a solo trip down Baja on it but never did. There are enough trails in Baja that you can go from Tecate to La Paz or Cabo with very little highway miles.
Jinete Viejo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 05:33 PM

It's the indian, not the arrow. A couple of years ago I met a guy in Constitucion who bought a 100cc Honda in Chile and was riding it home to Canada. You will also see a lot of guys in Baja on adventure bikes that are upwards of 1000cc. As far as I'm concerned the best bike for the kind of ride you are talking about is in the 400 - 500cc range. If money is no object, many consider the KTM 500 EXC to be the best for your type of ride. If you could find a plated, low mileage, XR400 Honda then that would be a good choice budget wise.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 05:50 PM

What month(s) do you anticipate making your run? I don't have any useful motorcycle related tips to offer, but just don't over think it or you will never get out of Walnut Creek!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 06:18 PM

I have had way too many motorcycles in my life. Currently ride a 500 exc. Very capable street legal dirt bike. I’m of the opinion that it would be a great Baja machine. Only issue is....getting it there.
For me that would a long grueling ride to get to the border. And you are going to have to be loaded up with your junk on it.

I’m definitely following this thread to see what you decide.
Good Luck

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 06:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ReTire  
I have had way too many motorcycles in my life. Currently ride a 500 exc. Very capable street legal dirt bike. I’m of the opinion that it would be a great Baja machine. Only issue is....getting it there.
For me that would a long grueling ride to get to the border. And you are going to have to be loaded up with your junk on it.

I’m definitely following this thread to see what you decide.
Good Luck

I have left my truck in the pay to park lot in Tecate for a week at a time.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 06:29 PM

No way in hell would I take a 250 on MX 1 that far.

We have 2 newer KTM 250s. They are very fast, but not made for the highway more than short rides. Farthest we've taken them is BoLA to Gonzaga.

You want a 450 minimum.

Best bet would be to take your truck and carry the bike. Put it on a hitch carrier.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 06:32 PM

Thanks guys for all the great responses, I am trying to talk my wife into driving me to the border in the truck with a bike in tow. I think about the ride from SFO to the border on a trail bike and it really turns me off to the whole idea. I think I am dreaming of trail riding in Baja but not in the USA hiway. I think a 400xr would be a good choice for me, do not have unlimited resources or willing to buy a new bike for it. I am a weekend mechanic so I could go through it and make it as reliable as possible. I understand the comment about riding it balls out to the border, air cooled and old wouldn't be a great idea. Thanks for your replies. I am still mauling it over, wondering if I have one more crazy adventure in these old bones.. I was born in Chile so I guess the story of the guy riding from Chile on a 100cc bike doesn't surprise me.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 06:32 PM

You plan on running the highway or as much dirt as possible?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 06:55 PM

riding Baja on a motor cycle is like walking Baja - only faster
Mackintosh on steroids
I you want campfire, divine food and godly drinks - get a truck
any truck

Harald Pietschmann
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2018 at 07:02 PM

I would like to stay off road as much as possible, not trying to beat the baja 1000 record, for the contrary. One day you ride 1 hour and fish or watch the birds. next day could be four hours to the next stop. As I am trying to explain to my wife it would be nice for once to go without time limit, itinerary or expectations of making it to a place. More like driving from one beach to the other, from one fish taco stand to the next. I traveled with a friend from SFO to San Diego in the 80's sleeping on the beach on a sleeping bag. Afterwards it was family and kids, job and responsibilities. It could be all a dream but dreams are free and if you are going to dream, dream big. I am a very outgoing person and speak fluent english and mexican, lived in the DF for 4 years while going to high school. Si senor! Any retired person interested?
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.