BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: crossing at mexicali or yuma ?
cftlet
Nomad

Mood: Modelo Negro on my mind

[*] posted on 12-30-2018 at 09:09 PM
crossing at mexicali or yuma ?

I have been wintering in baja sur for the last 12 years and have always crossed at tecate. this year my wife and I want to take mex 5 but Iam not sure where to cross. Im a little intimidated by Mexicali ( big city with lots of traffic) and Im thinking crossing at Yuma might be better. What are your thoughts ? any help will be greatly appreciated.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-30-2018 at 09:37 PM

Just go for it. Like the fly said whilst standing on a mirror, "Well that's another way of looking at it!"

So if you get lost or turned around it's still another view of Mexico, and to drive a road not yet driven is an experience in itself.

'Nuff said. :coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-30-2018 at 10:01 PM

I see you are departing from Oregon, and unless you intend to head down through Nevada, Yuma is pretty far out of your way. I don't like city driving either, but I don't stress out much crossing south at Mexicali.

If you are coming down through California and want to cross at Tecate, Mex 2D intersects Mex 5 south of the urban Mexicali area. It is quite a grade!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2018 at 10:27 PM

I crossed at Mexicali on the 29th, quick and easy straight shot using Google. 2 hours from San Felipe to Gonzaga, little rough and 1.5 hours from Gonzaga to Hwy 1. It is rocky with no grading but drive the condition of the road and you should have no problems. Transports are using it and at 6:00 PM there were lots of cars going my way.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2018 at 05:10 AM

I live in Az, and prefer crossing at Yuma (San Luis). There is a toll road almost immediately that takes you to Highway 5. I have found this to be more consistent than crossing at Mexicali or Algadones.
C205Driver
Nomad

Mood: Life is Good

[*] posted on 12-31-2018 at 06:55 AM

I’m with basautter, crossed at San Luis last year & too fast & too easy....And there’s 3 Walmart in Yuma if you have needs....And gasoline is inexpensive in AZ....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-31-2018 at 07:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cftlet  
I have been wintering in baja sur for the last 12 years and have always crossed at tecate. this year my wife and I want to take mex 5 but Iam not sure where to cross. Im a little intimidated by Mexicali ( big city with lots of traffic) and Im thinking crossing at Yuma might be better. What are your thoughts ? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Driving in Mexicali is easy. There is only 1 turn to make in the city. Look at map, it is straight shot thru Mexicali.
If Mexicali intimidates you, you can cross at familiar place tecate and take hwy 2 to get to 5.
If you can handle I-5 thru Sacramento, then you can handle Mexicali.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2018 at 07:42 AM

Crossing Calexico west southbound does have a bit of a "run the gauntlet" feel to getting through Mexicali, with lots of traffic, a couple of roundabouts, a tunnel, and a small bridge to negotiate where you have to be in the correct lane. Like anything, after you do it a couple of times it is easy. I have done it a dozen times and only got rear-ended once.... The light turned green and a lady was still in the crosswalk and the guy behind me hit the gas and thumped into my back bumper. We just kept driving (was his fault) and upon examination a few miles down the road the bumper did not even have a scratch, it hit flat with the other bumper.
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 12-31-2018 at 08:21 AM

we're from S. Or.....we avoid the cities..our favorite route: I 5 to Bakersfield, off at Buttonwillow, Needles, Quartzite, Yuma...cross at Algadonez...to Gonzaga Bay.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2018 at 09:34 AM

Once you cross at Mexicali, the highway and street signs are very clear to keep you on track - pretty much direcha.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-31-2018 at 09:54 AM

Algodones south to 2 to 2-D or Yuma/San Luis crossing, go west, get on 2-D to 5 south... Boom, you are on your way!

If you cross at Mexicali, there are many signs pointing to San Felipe.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

cftlet
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2018 at 02:07 PM

Thanks to everyone for the info, it is very helpful. does anyone know the hours the Yuma crossing is open and where you go to get your paper work? Thanks for all the help. We plan on crossing on jan 9 ( two months later than normal) cant wait for cervasa and menudo.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2018 at 02:15 PM

Yuma to Mexicali.
At the San Luis Colorado crossing, turn right at the FIRST street after crossing. You're now on the toll road... Mex 2-D
Drive 49 KM/30 Miles, then take the San Felipe turnoff which crosses over Mex 2.
Drive another 11 KM/7 Miles, take the exit to San Felipe/Mexicali exit.
You have to travel north towards Mexicali a couple of hundred yards and make a U-Turn. You'll plainly see where others have done so.
You're now heading south on Mex 5.

If you get your FMM at San Luis, you're better off to park on the USA side and walk across and get it. Parking is tough to find on the Mexico side. Go through US Customs back to your rig then drive across.

Just a heads up, the road south of San Felipe has a lot of storm damage from recent hurricanes, as well as the "new" road from Gonzaga Bay to Mex 1. Lots of detours and sharp rocks. Take your time, and add some extra time to your trip planning.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2018 at 02:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for the info, it is very helpful. does anyone know the hours the Yuma crossing is open and where you go to get your paper work? Thanks for all the help. We plan on crossing on jan 9 ( two months later than normal) cant wait for cervasa and menudo.

INM is on your immediate right after crossing into San Luis. It practically touches the actual border.. see my post above about walking across to get your FMM...
I'm not sure of the hours.

[Edited on 12-31-2018 by KasloKid]
cftlet
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2018 at 06:48 PM

Thanks for the info Kelso it will be very helpful. Yea Ive been told mex 5 was a bit rough but it will be better than mex 1 through Tecate (time wise). I will just kickback drive slow and decompress from the last 6 months in the states (retirement is great).
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 12-31-2018 at 08:51 PM

You could extend your drive to see some new roads and country, by driving on Hwy I-8 and turning south at Gilla Bend to cross at Sonoyta, Senora, and head for Rocky point / Puerto Penasco on the east side of Sea of Cortez. Take the road west, through the Altar desert, a good road with some view of the Sea intermixed with straight sand dunes. Turn north a bit at Santa Clara and again west a Santiago to gain HWY 5 in Baja and south to San Felipe - and beyond.
RogerMears
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 06:21 AM

We always cross at Los Algodones as we spend a lot of time in AZ. You can park in the huge parking lot on the right before you cross the border, walk across and the Immigration office is right there. Walk back through the US side (show your passport), continue to parking lot, grab your vehicle and head to the border. Super simple. Border opens at 6am closes at 10pm. We always travel through the farm country...2 to 3 to 4 to 5. It's slower but we like the simple drive.
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 12:12 PM

San Luis de Colorado, considered the Yuma Crossing, has a lot of action, as some 25,000 Mexicans join another 25,000 who live in the Yuma area, to harvest the 100,000 acres of crops grown nearby. Of course, Los Algodones gets a lot of attention as well because Mexican prices on their northern fringe of the Mexican border welcome thousands of visitors from north of that border. For many, that will be the sum total of visitations to Mexico. However, the taste of Mexico avalable there is quite like Mexico in general. This border town shares the border with California and is near the state of Arizona and not far from Yuma.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 09:57 AM

I found a note on my phone that the San Luis Rio Colorado border is open from 8AM to Midnight, 7 days a week.
cftlet
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2019 at 08:02 PM

Just a update, we crossed the boarder in Yuma on the 9th with no problems. Thanks for the help( the directions from Kaslokid were right on. We went down mex 5 with no problem (it was a bit bouncy from time to time but not bad at all). Made it to G.N. long before dark without pushing it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.