BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Anyone else getting charged duty this year?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
One surfboard - female aduanera was right then. "Usually" their attitude is lax, a striking contrast to the US or Canadian border. Can't complain.

you sure can! its won't do any good but one surfboard is ridiculous :(
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
Concerning "sports equipment"
The below are the limits

For all other items see>>>>

https://www.mexadventure.com/mexico-travel/Items_Bring_Mexic...

Sports and recreational equipment:
Two sets of personal sports equipment that can be transported by one person, such as racquets
Four fishing rods
One surfboard.
One musical instrument and accessories that can be transported by one person
One tent and set of camping equipment
One pair of binoculars
One telescope

To explain a truck full of excessive amounts of sports equipment I have several times told the border inspector that we are a group of 20 campers, and i am carrying much of other peoples stuff because i am the guy with the truck, and no we are not convoying but rather all meeting at our destination... never had to pay duty yet.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 04:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  
Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Please tell us, the duty was in pesos, correct?

I think this IS significant, if they are beginning to charge for sports equipment that normally gets let in free. How many fishing poles will be considered "normal"?

If they start charging for fishing rods I'm screwed...

maybe they can use it to pay for the wall
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 08:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by azucena  
Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Please tell us, the duty was in pesos, correct?

I think this IS significant, if they are beginning to charge for sports equipment that normally gets let in free. How many fishing poles will be considered "normal"?

If they start charging for fishing rods I'm screwed...

maybe they can use it to pay for the wall

It's a start

Making America Great Again
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 03:22 PM

Earlier this year I was hauling a wine fridge & a generator down to San Quintin along with a lot of other stuff. I was sent to x-ray and upon further inspection sent to Aduana (sp?) to pay a $400 peso tax....no big deal.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 06:39 PM

I always say I am driving and my family is flying when they get uptight about 5x sports gear, then start telling all about the family until they get bored and leave.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
I always say I am driving and my family is flying when they get uptight about 5x sports gear, then start telling all about the family until they get bored and leave.

Brilliant! I'll bet scrolling through a smart phone full of family photos would get you on your way even faster.

I know that always sends me into 'escape' mode!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 07:13 PM

1 surfboard has been de rigueur for a long time. Enforcement, obviously, has been spotty. Anyway, it's all about how stuff is interpreted by the agent on duty.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 08:07 PM

Also explain why the boards are not the same, one is a tow-in board, one is stand-up pipe machine, the other is just for shore-break and give them different sport names like surf board, skurfer, smufferer and make her practice saying it and why. The sails and kites too. They setup these women as a joke to bug you, and the guys are watching on a surveillance monitor laughing, so out do them. You are allowed one of each separate sport THING. egg one frisbee, one snorkel, one DVD, one telescope etc. Make up words and hold the board in the air and talk it up and wave it around a bunch, knock her with it. I meet her all the time, once she made unload the entire van, I had 90 bottles of wine! I said sorry it's not wine it's actually a young grape juice I made that'll one day become wine so it's not wine. She is just playing with, you need to out do her silliness and start in on her with stories, she will walk away and come back a few times, then let you go. Or pay if you are in a hurry. Slowing down and chatting with her and laughing at her silliness while you know the camera is on you and they are laughing at you is good practice to relax on vacation. She'll get embarrassed frustrated and leave.

[Edited on 1-4-2019 by gnukid]
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 06:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
Earlier this year I was hauling a wine fridge & a generator down to San Quintin along with a lot of other stuff. I was sent to x-ray and upon further inspection sent to Aduana (sp?) to pay a $400 peso tax....no big deal.

That's reasonable, the OP not so much.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
They setup these women as a joke to bug you, and the guys are watching on a surveillance monitor laughing, so out do them.

I had 90 bottles of wine! I said sorry it's not wine it's actually a young grape juice I made that'll one day become wine so it's not wine. She is just playing with, you need to out do her silliness and start in on her with stories, she will walk away and come back a few times, then let you go.

“The women are a there as a joke. Men are watching the CCTV laughing.”

Me thinks you are a sexist and delusional trust fund baby.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 01:15 PM

That's reasonable, the OP not so much.

Either scenario is not reasonable, IMO. The duty is what - 20%? Duty MXN400 = USD20 means she estimated wine fridge and generator worth USD 400 altogether, less USD 300 exemption.

USD 400 for 4 boards (5 total, one exempt) means USD2,300 estimated value - a bit on the higher side but not totally impossible. She did slash the price to more realistic USD 200 after negotiations. The OP probably had other items above the exemption limit as well.

Explanations about carrying items for other group members or family - might work, yes, though technically you are the sole importer of all this stuff right there and then. This is Mexico, officers are often incompetent and lazy. Once they let you through without asking anything, next time they estimate old boards like new, and then will buy your story about "joining the group" or "presents for grandchildren". They don't do their job, what else is new...
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 01:37 PM

So if duty is paid on extra items (surfboards or fishing rods) and an itemized receipt is given, would one be able to get a refund if said items were somehow shown to have been brought back to entry point.
I have an itemized list attached to my boat TIP that shows 20 fishing rods and reels and lots of extra tools and electronic equipment. When Aduana sees the list they have always chilled out. Seems there should be a way to bring personal items that are not being sold down south to get back and forth even if they pass the standard published limits.
????????
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chatolj  
So if duty is paid on extra items (surfboards or fishing rods) and an itemized receipt is given, would one be able to get a refund if said items were somehow shown to have been brought back to entry point.
I have an itemized list attached to my boat TIP that shows 20 fishing rods and reels and lots of extra tools and electronic equipment. When Aduana sees the list they have always chilled out. Seems there should be a way to bring personal items that are not being sold down south to get back and forth even if they pass the standard published limits.
????????

I don't kill fish for fun, so I'm at a loss why would someone need 20 fishing rods, reels, four surf boards like the OP, or 90 jugs of grapefruit juice, when you visit Mexico or even take to your ex-pat home?

Maybe, they might think you're trying to sell those items the first time, and trying it again.

What happened to just follow the law so much on this site? Every country has their own rules, exclusions, tariffs, and Mexico is no different.

If you don't want to follow their rules, then smuggle the good in, or make up lies or talk them to death like Gnukid does

Goyo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 05:00 PM

JJJ - Most surfers travel with at least two surfboards in case one snaps. Although I've never snapped a board in half, it can happen. You don't want to be on a surf trip and have your only board break - especially if you're on a 2-week or 3-week trip. I travel with three boards: a longboard for tiny waves and for fishing; a smallish shortboard for medium sized surf and a longer shortboard for the big days. Although this may seem excessive to a non-surfer, it's actually quite normal. We're not trying to be over-indulgent gringos. But I'm glad to know the customs rule because I didn't know about it.

By the way, most surfers I've known enter Baja through Tijuana or Tecate. I've never heard of anyone getting charged the duty. In recent times, more and more surfers are entering through Mexicali because it's supposed to be much faster to get down into Central Baja. So maybe it's a new phenomenon for the Mexican authorities to be seeing surfboards in Mexicali?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 11:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chatolj  
Seems there should be a way to bring personal items that are not being sold down south to get back and forth even if they pass the standard published limits.

I suspect there IS a perfectly legal way buried somewhere in their papers. They did ask me once (when charging duty) whether I was going to bring them back. But I decided it was easier to pay relatively small charge than going through extra paperwork and/or trying to get a refund on the way back. It's inconvenient to jump between Northbound and Soutbound lanes on Tijuana crossing. Besides, nearly all my stuff on that trip was not going back, it was for my own use in Baja, for years to come. She only singled out a few items to pay for.

[Edited on 1-5-2019 by Alm]
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 08:42 AM

4 fishing rods allowed per person. Several years ago, after making several trips with more than 4 rods, I was asked how many rods were in my case. This was at the airport, before I pushed the green/red light.
I had 6. They took me into an office, and explained that I was over the allowed number.

They were very professional, charged me $60 US if I recall, and sent me on my way. I explained that different poles were for different fish, they didn't care. And they gave me a receipt.

Interesting as reels are not mentioned.

You do not get your money back when you leave with the same 6 rods.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sd  
4 fishing rods allowed per person. Several years ago, after making several trips with more than 4 rods, I was asked how many rods were in my case. This was at the airport, before I pushed the green/red light.
I had 6. They took me into an office, and explained that I was over the allowed number.

They were very professional, charged me $60 US if I recall, and sent me on my way. I explained that different poles were for different fish, they didn't care. And they gave me a receipt.

Interesting as reels are not mentioned.

You do not get your money back when you leave with the same 6 rods.

I've flown in with rod cases many times and was never asked how many rods per case. Heck, I used to duct tape two rod tubes together and Alaska Air only charged me for one, customs said nothing either.

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 10:00 AM

This thread now sheds a little light on what may have almost happened to us at Tijuana/El Chaparal crossing southbound in October.

We were three people and had five "boards" with us. Two surfboards and three kiteboards.

The Customs guy asked us why we had so many boards for three people. I told him the honest answer that they were for different sports and different purposes and he went along with the explanation but did say that we "had too many boards".

I didn't pursue the matter but now that I see this thread his comment makes more sense. We may have been very close to paying some duty.

So, note to self - If you have to pay duty, keep the receipt handy for next year. You may not be able to get a refund when the items leave the country at the end of your visit but you sure do not want to have to pay duty AGAIN on the SAME board when you bring it back south again next winter.

Make sure that the description on the receipt has some sort of unique identifying comment (serial number)to prove that it is the same item. (Or add some note yourself and scribble an unreadable signature on the form)

[Edited on 1-5-2019 by RnR]
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
I believe the VAT (Value Added Tax) on purchased items was reduced to 8% along the border zone. Have not heard anything about Customs duties being reduced

Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  
In the paper this morning the new President of Mexico has announced the duty to be lowered to 8%

Bajaguy, yes I was mistaken... thanks
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.