BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Safe camping on the Pacific coast between Rosario & Sta Rosalillita?
Dangela4700

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 12:56 AM
Safe camping on the Pacific coast between Rosario & Sta Rosalillita?

Hello Nomads! New member and first time poster here!

My husband and I will be taking our Nissan 4x4 (with extra gas, tires, water and repair kits) down Hwy 1, planning to leave the Hwy at abt KM132 and drive to the Pacific, then proceed south along the Pacific route (seven sisters) to Sta Rosalillita pretty much as described in DK’s excellent road guide.

Camp guide books recommend traveling in groups and camping in established campgrounds. I’m not sure we’ll find campgrounds along the seven sisters road / beaches.

We’ll have one vehicle; no dogs, no weapons (obviously). Is it safe to camp on these beaches or other out of the way places along this route?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 01:12 AM

It's safe when no other humans are around. I camped both inland and along the beach, solo. Do what you are comfortable doing.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 01:13 AM

Hey, welcome. It's very safe. I did the trip 3 times this year with my two kids.

It's a little more challenging on the North end, but not that bad.

The bays/beaches about 30 miles above Santa Rosalillita are the best of the entire route. They are spectacular. Punta Lobos, Punta Maria, and Cono. From these bays to Rosalillita is very fast, 45 mins.

Here is a video we shot: https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Attached are some of the main way points/tracks.

Attachment: Area Around Seven Sisters.kmz (37kB)
This file has been downloaded 278 times

[Edited on 1-1-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 06:35 AM

You should see plenty of surfers camping.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 09:09 AM

it is fine. but, as mentioned, this time of year there will be other campers -most likely many- at a couple of spots in that area...
Dangela4700

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 09:36 AM

Hey all - tks for the feedback.

JZ - thanks for linking your very cool video; like the combination of drone and ground footage!

David K - the road log you posted the other day was really a life saver for us; we were able to map out our trip in much greater detail using your info. We’re very glad you put it out there and look forward to buying the guide when it’s published. :)
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 11:00 AM

Oh no!!!!!! The sacred seven sisters defiled:lol::lol::lol:
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 12:24 PM

It's safe except for the secret surf spots. I would tell you where those are but then...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 12:25 PM

We did the same trip in early Nov. Here is the report http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91697

At that time we only saw 1 or 2 vehicles along the way except in the small villages. It can get a little confusing in the Canoas area if you've never been there before, but if you stay on the most used road you'll be OK. Sometimes getting lost is fun. Just remember the ocean is to the west.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 12:33 PM

Oops, I forgot we did meet some surfers along the coast but I forget where it was. Actually that is the first time I have ever seen surfers along the 7 sisters in all the years I've been down there. Of course not being a surfer I was not really looking for them so I may have passed them by without noticing them.
Dangela4700

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 02:16 PM

Thanks for pointing me to the trip report, TMW!
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 02:56 PM

It's almost always safer to camp in a group. Better to come with few friends. If you're not Kooks ask someone if you could camp twenty yds away, share beers, offer fire wood! Also, very important, has DK shown you the Super Secret Nomad handshake? Smiles. Tio :coolup:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 07:30 PM

Secret Nomad Pass:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 06:29 AM

:):)
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 07:10 PM

Tio toms advice is the closest to what I would suggest. Winter swells bring in groups of surfers , so camp near other campers but not too close.Those places have plenty of room to spread out. The biggest worry will be the roads in. Be prepared for washouts and expect detours. Hope you guys have experience and smarts.
geronimo21
Junior Nomad

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 02:33 AM

A very recent post on Talk Baja reports a massive fly infestation/outbreak due to poor hygienic practices (read: people aren't burying their chit properly) in that area.

I don't know how far north the outbreak has spread, but many people have been getting sick in the area. They say it is spreading from one camping area to another. El Cardon was mentioned.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 06:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geronimo21  
A very recent post on Talk Baja reports a massive fly infestation/outbreak due to poor hygienic practices (read: people aren't burying their chit properly) in that area.

I don't know how far north the outbreak has spread, but many people have been getting sick in the area. They say it is spreading from one camping area to another. El Cardon was mentioned.

Link?

Making America Great Again
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 07:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geronimo21  

In certain areas, Too many people camping there. No sanitation. People peeing and pooping too close to campsites, not burying wastes.
Certain areas being over-used. Someone needs to provide sanitation, time for a fee campground..

Pack it in, pack it out, don’t leave your poop.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 07:09 AM
One road may not be passable

On the November 2018 trip TMW posted, we had originally gone to the ocean at Puerto Catarina to start the trip. A small to good-sized fishing village, but the interest for me was the large number of onyx blocks still on the beach. These had originated at El Marmol, and you see some in TMW's report. We had planned to take the "shortcut" south but after a half-hour of very deep ruts, soft sand plus no evidence of a real road we decided to return to the junction 12-15 or so miles back, then head south to Punta Canoas. The southern end of the cut-across road was plainly visible as we passed it - but not from the other end.

Extra gas is a good idea

John M

[Edited on 1-7-2019 by John M]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 08:14 AM

Hi John, I also could not find the north end of the short cut road, where it was when I drove it before. So, I also drove back to the fork for Canoas. When I got on Google Earth, I could see that it now originates right at the fish camp and not where it did in 2007 when I last drove it.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.