Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Directions South to Hwy5 southbound
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 10:45 AM
Directions South to Hwy5 southbound

South Bound directions to Hwy 5 South

San Luis via Yuma from the west. From the east like using I8 then US95 and follow the signs to the border. After border find a place to park and walk back to Migration which you passed on your right side . then get your FMM and get back on Federal Hwy 2 and go west. Pay toll. Trailer are OK and expect to go thru secondary. Note 1

San Luis via Yuma from the east Use I8 then State 195 (then Juan Sanchez Blvd) and follow the signs to the border. Same instructions as above for FMM & to Hwy2. Note 1

Algonodones via Andrade I8 to State 186 south. At the border ask the official where to get you’re your FMM. Usually double park get out and go to the the office pay. Alternatively turn right into the big parking lot before the border and walk across to Migration for your FMM. Proceed south to second stop sign - Turn left then right at the next street then left at the 3 way stop Now you are on State route 2 south. At federal Hwy 2 go west. Trailers are not easy in town due to congestion, but very doable. Note 1

Note1: Federal Hwy 2/2D: Driving on Hwy 2 west exit right San Felipe/Tijuana to Hwy 2D. 2D at San Felipe exit pay toll turn North then the first opportunity to make U turn to drive South on Hwy 5

Mexicali East. I8 to State route 7 south. Just after the overhead inspector place park on the right beside the large XRay facility (across the fence) and walk back to Migration and get your FMM. Alternatively if there is no curbside parking go slightly further then turn right then left into a large parking lot (tight turns). After the FMM proceed south and turn left with directions from the cop and follow the 3 lane road until you get to a major intersection. Big PMEX on the left (SE corner) and Gas facility on the right corner (NW). Turn right and use the left lane and follow the signs to San Felipe. Signs are important for this route.

Mexicali west. I8 or State 95 to Hwy 111 south thru the border.
Edit again -- Go to the far LEFT with extra parking for your FMM. When the new office is open it will be on the right. For now ask the official at the gate where to go.
You are now on Hwy 5. Follow the signs to San Felipe. Somewhat tricky so look closely.

Tecate. From wherever get on State route 94 then south on 188 After the border I usually park and walk back to Migration for FMM. Proceed south and turn left and proceed to Federal Hwy 2D/2 toll road. Follow signs to 2/2D. Exit to get to San Felipe and Hwy 2D, then exit to Hwy 5 southbound.

[Edited on 1-2-2019 by PaulW]

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 08:30 AM

Good info thanks. Do you happen to have directions north bound hiway 5 to the Mexicali west new sentri lane?

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 08:43 AM

Don't have Sentri and Mx west is a disaster otherwise.
Last time I used Mx west left lane was Sentri.
Take 5 all the way to the fence.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
Good info thanks. Do you happen to have directions north bound hiway 5 to the Mexicali west new sentri lane?

Happy New Year, Larry!

I haven't used my Sentri at the new crossing yet, but I have friends that have. They say it is super easy. There is also another thread that shows the route.

From what I've read: Take 5 north and turn left on Czda. James W. Stone, then take a right on Boulevard de los Presidentes. Apparently, it is well signed from there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! When are you coming north?

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
South Bound directions to Hwy 5 South

Mexicali west. I8 or State 95 to Hwy 111 south thru the border. Go to the far left and park curbside for your FMM. (This detail will change when the new Migration office opens on the far right.)
You are now on Hwy 5. Follow the signs to San Felipe. Somewhat tricky so look closely.

Great info, Paul!

I think this part needs updated, as stated, now that the new office is open and crossing has changed.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 09:10 AM

Thanks, first post edited.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 09:23 AM

Hey Pacifico been to Squito recently? I'm heading north on the 7th to take my daughter up. Really cold down here. PaulW thanks for the posts.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
Hey Pacifico been to Squito recently? I'm heading north on the 7th to take my daughter up. Really cold down here. PaulW thanks for the posts.

Not since October... Hope to head down in a month or two...

I can't wait for spring/summer!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 10:13 AM

Paul, I believe it was posted that the new Mexicali (west) border INM is on the left (as before) but now with lots of parking...?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jinete Viejo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 04:15 PM

I've always traveled south Hwy 1 and have never used Hwy 5. The consensus on this blog seems to indicate that Hwy 5 is faster so I'm planning to take the 5 south on an upcoming trip in March. The instructions at the top of this thread are helpful but I was wondering if someone had a GPS track that shows the way through Mexicali on the 5? Is a waypoint at the FMM office available? Likewise a GPS track that shows how to get to the Sentri lane coming back north?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 05:18 PM
East crossing going S

The picture shows the route. Get in the right lane after you make the first left then use the right lane and when you turn W get in the left lane read signs to San Felipe and follow them.
Get FFM:
Drive thru inspection station if they do not stop, you go S and park at the right curb as soon as possible and walk back to the main building which was on the right side of the inspection station.

mexicali_east_zpstxq1pdur.jpg - 74kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 05:23 PM

Paul do you have the same map with track for the new west border crossing south?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jinete Viejo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 05:31 PM

Thank you for the map. Much appreciated.
At the risk of imposing, I have another question. Where the road from the San Borja mission (in the general area of BoLA) meets Hwy 1, there is the village of Rosarito which has the Cactus Motel (not to be confused with the one in El Rosario) and a restaurant next door. Does anyone know if the motel and restaurant are still open?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 05:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jinete Viejo  
Thank you for the map. Much appreciated.
At the risk of imposing, I have another question. Where the road from the San Borja mission (in the general area of BoLA) meets Hwy 1, there is the village of Rosarito which has the Cactus Motel (not to be confused with the one in El Rosario) and a restaurant next door. Does anyone know if the motel and restaurant are still open?

Hotel Cactus and Mauricio's Restaurant is on the north side of the arroyo crossing (KM 52). Open in 2017. No word of their closing has been posted.

Jinete Viejo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 06:18 PM

The attached file is a GPS track (in Garmin format) of the east crossing made from the map above. I'll probably be using the west crossing so, as DK mentioned, a map of that would be great if possible.

Thanks for the input on the hotel and restaurant DK.

Attachment: Mexicali East Crossing.gdb (394B)
This file has been downloaded 207 times

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 06:19 PM
Calexico West new Entrance

See the pic below. THe entrance is all new.
I don't use the west crossing so I do not have a GPS track. However anybody new just needs to read the signs. When you cross you are on hwy5
From a previous post:
Mexicali west. I8 or State 95 to Hwy 111 south thru the border. Go to the far left and park curbside for your FMM. (This detail will change when the new Migration office opens on the far right.)

Calixico S entry.jpg - 204kB
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 06:26 PM

No help from me on Sentri.
And I do not have the northbound route for Mexicali west or east. I wish someone would post GPS track for sentri, Regular, and Ready lanes for both crossings. They are all revised and new.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 11:16 PM

I asked the question about directions north bound 5 to the Mexicali sentri lane and Westywanderer answered and his directions were spot on. When I returned a few days later I just reversed his directions and was on 5 south in no time. Trying to follow the signs south bound was confusing and I did get lost the first time I did it. I have Mex service on my cell phone and google maps also knows the way from the border to the 5 south.

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Paul, I believe it was posted that the new Mexicali (west) border INM is on the left (as before) but now with lots of parking...?

The parking for the Mexicali west INM is before the red light/green light so be in the left lane when entering.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 02:22 PM

BK, did you follow the new signed route south from the new West border gate... can you elaborate on the route, was it easy to follow and well-signed for San Felipe? Did it join the older route near the Costco?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.