Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Coyotes
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 04:01 PM
Baja Coyotes

For those of you planning a trip to the lagoons to visit with whales this year: be sure keep an eye & ear out for other critters as well, especially if traveling with pets.

Here's a coyote in San Ignacio lagoon (2010), near the Kuyima camps:

And here's a story from 2015, about a coyote that got a little closer than usual at Ojo de Liebre- and some photos from the same trip.

http://bit.ly/BajaCoyotes

We also had some very unusual weather & skies that year. No rain at the lagoon, but flooding nearby.

Enjoy your travels in 2019!

[Edited on 1-5-2019 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 04:26 PM

Counted 7 from my balcony at alfonsinas last time.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 07:27 PM

This is a good post and a reminder of how important it is to not feed the wildlife. The coyote population has exploded and done permanent harm. Do not leave a trace.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 07:56 PM

Some really healthy looking coyotes down here in Asuncion area...or at least one that sure gets around...coastal and inland.....

OP pic is great.

I like coyotes....the Trickster...:coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 09:43 PM

One of the last things Pancho (of San Rafael) said to me was "P-nche coyotes". I had shown him a photo from my iPhone of every single turtle nest that had been destroyed by coyotes the night before.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 11:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  
One of the last things Pancho (of San Rafael) said to me was "P-nche coyotes". I had shown him a photo from my iPhone of every single turtle nest that had been destroyed by coyotes the night before.

Circle of life. Critters gotta eat. Aint always pretty. If the fishermen and poachers would leave the turtles alone, there would be plenty of turtle eggs for the coyotes and continuing propogation of the turtles.
I love coyotes, they eat the gophers and rabbits that are my enemies, they provide interesting music every night in my neighborhood.
If you live in coyote country, and want a dog, then get a real dog. Thems little dogs is just coyote bait.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 09:54 AM

Many years ago we camped at Cohabuso Jct. My buddy and I in my cabover and two other guys in a tent. The next morning at dawn and looking out the window there 5 or 6 coyotes wandering around the camp looking for food. When we made noise they took off.

When I lived in Mira Mesa (San Diego) one morning I went out to get the paper and trotting down the street toward the canyon was the biggest Coyote I've ever seen. Bigger than a large German Shepard. He must have been eating good. He didn't pay me any mind and just kept going.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 10:19 AM

In Oceanside, near the mission where I lived for 12+ years, coyotes were seen frequently in the early morning trotting down residential streets. This was not "out in the country" but in a residential subdivision. (Hwy 76 & Old Grove Rd.).

One came into our backyard where there was a feral cat with kittens (my daughter adopted) and the coyote tried to make off with one.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 10:59 AM

In the mid 70's, a friend of mine near Grass Valley CA had a 180 pound German Shepherd/St Bernard mix. He was always the alpha male in any gathering of dogs, but he was taken down by a pack of coyotes!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 11:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
In the mid 70's, a friend of mine near Grass Valley CA had a 180 pound German Shepherd/St Bernard mix. He was always the alpha male in any gathering of dogs, but he was taken down by a pack of coyotes!

that happens. they are a remarkable species. i have always wondered why we don't have more in the todos/pescadero area. i have seen loads more in semi-suburban san diego county.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 03:47 PM

Nomad The Squarecircle was telling ma about a dog that Norman Roberts, The Baja Plant Field Guide author had. He said Norman would turn the dog loose to run with coyotes. That they actually played together until Norman would call him in. Maybe the dog had coyote in him. I forget what kind of dog it was.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Circle of life. Critters gotta eat. Aint always pretty. If the fishermen and poachers would leave the turtles alone, there would be plenty of turtle eggs for the coyotes and continuing propogation of the turtles.
I love coyotes, they eat the gophers and rabbits that are my enemies, they provide interesting music every night in my neighborhood.
If you live in coyote country, and want a dog, then get a real dog. Thems little dogs is just coyote bait.

Hate those bastards. One was messing with my Akita a while back.

In August I got even with one of them. Chased him on my dirt bike for a good 1/2 mile.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Hate those bastards. One was messing with my Akita a while back.

In August I got even with one of them. Chased him on my dirt bike for a good 1/2 mile.

I live in rural area, and enjoy watching coyotes hunt in unfenced area of my yard. Our dogs are normally in the fenced part of yard, and coyotes leave them alone.
Akitas are big dogs, should be able to dominate a lone coyote. What is wrong with your dog?

People that run down wildlife on motorcycles are low life chithead marooons

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 08:50 PM

Hmmm. I digress. The coyote population has exploded in areas because of human population explosion. That was my point. DIdn't mean to offend dirt bikers or dog lovers. Coyotes and crows are the future i guess.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 09:18 PM

just had about 6 coyotes around our camp slowly trying to encircle our dog, shes a fighter and might be able to take down 2 or 3, but no match for 6 :o

luckily we noticed them before she did and called her in

smart little fockers

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 10:31 PM

I've heard a pack will send in a few biatches in heat to lure domestic mutts to their doom. They ain't stoopud.

We had a saying in my original home State: "Eat Utah lamb...... 250,000 coyotes can't be all wrong!"

Everyone's correct here, love 'em, hate 'em, critters gotta eat.

May the circle be unbroken......

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 10:41 PM

I haven't seen any on my property for a while, it may be due to the mountain lion that has been hunting the area lately. They make lousy neighbors!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 06:45 PM

Mountain lions and coyotes make good neighbors, keeping pests down. Pests that can pass diseases to your outdoor pets. (If you really cared about your pets you would keep them indoors unless directly supervised).

If your akitas and cats are too stupid to live outdoors, keep them indoors.
Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 06:50 PM

Mountain lions and coyotes make good neighbors, keeping pests down. Pests that can pass diseases to your outdoor pets. (If you really cared about your pets you would keep them indoors unless directly supervised).

If your akitas and cats are too stupid to live outdoors, keep them indoors.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 06:36 AM

i alaska i watched a group of 4 wolved take an akita apart from across a small lake. the akita belonged to my clostest neighbor (3 miles away) she was a very tough dog, but no match.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.