Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Adventures
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 04:58 PM
Baja Adventures

This travel experience is a routine trip for most Nomads.

www.wideopenbaja.com
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 05:18 PM

Very cool! I have seen these guys down there (or similar outfit). Looked like they were having a blast!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 06:25 PM

Those Subaru powered buggies are a hit.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 06:44 PM

How much?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 07:34 PM

Looks awesome, but I bet it ain't cheap!
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 04:37 AM

Here in Yuma it seems like every Old Fart in town (including myself) has a RZR or similar vehicle. Becoming very popular. However the damage they cause to the desert is severe. I'm still thinking about a Mule. A Camel maybe? Much quieter..............
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 05:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

www.wideopenbaja.com

Adolescent thrills of spinning tires to throw dirt and make a bunch of dust and noise. Pathetic. Destructive. Sport of potbellied knuckledraggers.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 06:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Adolescent thrills of spinning tires to throw dirt and make a bunch of dust and noise. Pathetic. Destructive. Sport of potbellied knuckledraggers.

I'd wager the paved roads you travel daily have destroyed more habitat than all the dirt bike trails ever made.

John
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 06:22 AM

Very cool!

Making America Great Again
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 08:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

I'd wager the paved roads you travel daily have destroyed more habitat than all the dirt bike trails ever made.

John

Exactly! Highway 1 construction destroyed a wide swath of central Baja's vegetation for no special reason.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

www.wideopenbaja.com

It's just the Goat Roper acting the fool, pay him no mind.

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 09:09 AM

Let's put down our guns here. There are two sides to this story. Roads are set aside for convenience, safety, and comfort. Off-road vehicles are a passion of adventure for many. When off-road activities exceed nature's ability to sustain they should be limited. At this point, most of Baja California is unregulated and most off-roaders are cognisant of the eventual consequences of abuse. Sticking to established pathways does little harm but cutting corners or blazing new trails is not sustainable. ALL of us need to work to sustain a reasonable balance.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yumawill  
Here in Yuma it seems like every Old Fart in town (including myself) has a RZR or similar vehicle. Becoming very popular. However the damage they cause to the desert is severe. I'm still thinking about a Mule. A Camel maybe? Much quieter..............

I have been out in the wild for more than 30 years - not only Baja.
There has always been the occasional damage away from established "roads" - mainly by motorcycles. Since regular 4x4 can't go fast away from roads and trails (weight and suspension issues) they left only left tire tracks.
Since the introduction of light 4x4 (quads and RZR) nature away from roads and trails really has taken a beating.
I see no solution before the government steps in - people do whatever they want to do when nobody is watching. And of course we have to follow the mantra of "having fun", "it creates jobs" and "there is a lot of money in it". Who gives a f*ck about nature. Loving nature is for the less strong.

And then of course there is the issue of how people drive on (off-road) roads and trails. What the WideOpen guys and others do. Everything that is used will eventually need repair. But high speed on those roadways will destroy them very fast, because they are not built for that kind of use. But the same mantra applies - the mantra of "having fun", "it creates jobs" and "there is a lot of money in it".
And why would well off foreigners care about the roads of the Mexicans.

Now that Mexico has an increasing number of well to do people, they too plow the roadways of local ranchers with their off-road races. The poor never had a voice in all of this. But they are pretty handy in building fences and gates. Soon there will be no more need for David Kier roadbooks.

Personally I am disgusted and sad. Don't see any hope for the locals and the quiet explorer.

[Edited on 1-3-2019 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 11:55 AM

My (future) "roadbooks" are mostly of the paved and graded-dirt highways and a few interesting unimproved dirt roads to points of interest. Only a couple of those even need 4WD, for certain.

I am, hopefully, like many and respect private property and have never used bolt cutters to break a locked gate or leave trash at a camp. I think the damage you mention comes from some tour groups whose leader condones such activity and the paying customer is just following the leader.

There are plenty of roads in Baja to allow people to get close to Nature. Sometimes these roads get washed away and unlike Mtn goat 666 I see no new harm in road-building to make these damaged roads passable. Not everyone can hike into places of backpack... some people are handicapped and could only see these sites in Baja from the seat of a 4WD vehicle.

I think there are more "quiet explorers" than you realize... because they are quiet! Most my Baja 4x4 friends are solo campers.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 01:11 PM

Big article in the LA Times this morning how Joshua Tree and Yosemite are being trashed by our own citizens during the shutdown.

John
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 01:33 PM

Big article in the LA Times this morning how Joshua Tree and Yosemite are being trashed by our own citizens during the shutdown.

John

When the cat is away the mice will play.

Yeah it's sickening to see what's going on in the US Natural Parks, with overflowing trash, human waste and off-roading during government shutdown.

They should treat the bikers and trucks engaged in illegal off-roading like looters if caught!

Yeah, but I'm sure the off-roading crowd is always respectable towards the environment and small animals in Baja as some would have you believe?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 02:12 PM

John

Most people and all offroaders will behave badly if they know no one is watching and they know law enforcement are not on the job.

If your favorite parks are ruined, the reason was trump thru a temper tantrum over his wall or fence or whatever he is calling his folly today.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 02:29 PM

John

Most people and all offroaders will behave badly if they know no one is watching and they know law enforcement are not on the job.

If your favorite parks are ruined, the reason was trump thru a temper tantrum over his wall or fence or whatever he is calling his folly today.

It must suck to be you.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 09:52 AM

John

Most stupid tourist such as yourself act badly. Give bad advice know nothing of baja. Still they talk crap such as yourself you don't live here. So how bold and stupid you are we are spraying extra dirt today . Just because you posted your garbage. For some:bounce: one deeper then whale crap you got nothing to say
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Personally I am disgusted and sad. Don't see any hope for the locals and the quiet explorer.

I agree.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.