Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Verizon in baja service quality report 2019
tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 06:48 PM
Verizon in baja service quality report 2019

Please feel free to add.
Service is getting a bit better every year it seems.

San Felipe - Strong signal , 4G , easy to stream video
Guerrero Negro - Strong signal , 4G , easy to stream video
Mulege - Strong signal , 4G , easy to stream video
Loreto - Strong signal , 4G , easy to stream video

Todos Santos- horrible signal , no G in sight , you can barely check your email.

Guess where I spend most of my time down here?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 07:19 PM

at@t is the best international carrier hands down.

Has been the best and most affordable in MX for a very long time.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

I am sure thats true , but I am married to Verizon because its the only game in town for my little neck of rural NM.
My only other option would be a sim card but I have not gotten fed up enough to research that option seriously .
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 08:23 PM

Good to know where Verizon has towers.
150 peso per month for a telcel sim card and service everywhere in Baja - not the big cities. I forget what the sim card cost, but not expensive. Telcel now offers a modem for home internet.
tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 09:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Good to know where Verizon has towers.
150 peso per month for a telcel sim card and service everywhere in Baja - not the big cities. I forget what the sim card cost, but not expensive. Telcel now offers a modem for home internet.

In all of the towns I mentioned , when the service was good, I was roaming on TELCEL.
Down here, I am roaming on two different networks and they SUCK
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 09:18 PM

I had T mobile and in the Ensenada area and from mexicali to puertocitos it was great. We now have AT&T and on our last trip (our only trip so far with it) we had full bars but would have to dial calls multiple times before they would go through and the data was very slow even though it showed LTE in the same Mexicali-San Felipe corridor.

Not to steal the thread, just reporting and am very curious to see how Verizon works because we are considering switching as we are very unhappy with AT&T.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 12:47 AM

My T-Mobile works great wherever the Telcel signal works.
Howard
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 08:50 AM

Well, time be a changing now that other U.S. carriers appear to work in Baja other than AT&T. I have with AT&T for over a decade and according to this thread there are now options for Baja or anywhere Telcel is.

My AT&T plan is $55 a month, unlimited calls to and from Mexico, I think 10GB of data and maybe some other features.

With the above being said, which of the carriers that work down here have the best deals? I, probably like most Bajaites need to:
Call North from Baja
Call Baja from NOB
Use some Data both North and South of the border

Who has the best current program now that I can switch?

Thanks

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 08:57 AM

After nearly 20 years with Sprint (which had no service in San Felipe and only worked in big cities on Hwy. 1), we switched to Cricket. Anyone know what service it matches with in Baja?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 10:15 AM

i agree it is affordable. however, when someone calls me from the US, there is about a 50/50 chance of it working. the data works well.
Howard
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

i agree it is affordable. however, when someone calls me from the US, there is about a 50/50 chance of it working. the data works well.

Agreed but I only get around 25% of incoming calls in The Baja and no problem for outgoing or data from Baja.
This problem has only started in the last year or so.

[Edited on 1-3-2019 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 11:45 AM

Ok , I just forced my phone to only accept TELCEL network and now life is good!
I am pretty sure I violated my contract somehow and Verizon wanted me on whatever network gives them the best rate in this area so we will see if I get some crazy roaming charges.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 01:00 PM

I have a 'no contract' ATT Gophone that I bought quite a while back when my Tracphone no longer worked in Mexico. The ten cent a minute plan that I have is discontinued, but is good for me as long as I have this number, so I will keep using it for occasional calls and texts (I don't use it for data).

Having said that, my experience with my CA ATT/Direct TV and internet has been so bad that today I am in the process of dumping them, and never intend to use them again!

They make Comcast look good!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
After nearly 20 years with Sprint (which had no service in San Felipe and only worked in big cities on Hwy. 1), we switched to Cricket. Anyone know what service it matches with in Baja?

I believe Cricket buys space from T-Mobile. Select Telcel as your provider on your phone when you're down south.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 06:23 PM

Verizon was my provider until 6-8 years ago when I switched to AT&T -- they provide a seamless experience when crossing the border. No international dialing codes, txt and data works exactly like in the States. My cell signal SOB is significantly stronger -- a few years ago I received a good signal on the Punta Conejo Road before dropping down the hill to the coast.

Service aside, I still think AT&T is a morally void company.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

at&t is the best in MX and has been for 15 years.

And lol, at ppl using Sprint or friggin' Cricket.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 06:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  

Agreed but I only get around 25% of incoming calls in The Baja and no problem for outgoing or data from Baja.
This problem has only started in the last year or so.

[Edited on 1-3-2019 by Howard]

They bought two MX carriers and are using less of the Telcel network. For a while I saw worse data performance in Sonora, but it's back up to being very fast.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 06:35 PM

I started with Sprint when Radio Shack sold their phones, lol! You were probably in high school still JZ?

It has always been fine here in SoCal for my needs. We just needed to find better deals and our daughter raved about Cricket service and pricing. We now have two new Moto phones and so far they work great and the battery doesn't wear out hardly at all compared to the older phones.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 09:36 PM

Cricket is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T. so they use AT&T time.
We have and worked great in Mulege for 2 years and now this year only 2 weeks after arriving. Was great voice and text to the US and from the US.
Their partner here is movistar, phones work in Loreto but not Mulege or Sta. Rosalia for some reason. They say they can see our phones but we only can use data thru internet. Not sure what happened but guess it has to do with movistar here.
4 phones unlimited Mx, Canada, US for $100 per month now if we could only figure out the problem in Mulege
gotta luv talking for hours to tech services using the land line...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 09:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

hey David,

I also have cricket and have been testing it down here, Cricket roams on Movistar and ATT MX towers only, it used to roam on Telcel but recently cut that out.

Can report that you will have good coverage in Tecate, 3G on Ruta3, good 4G in Ensenada

south of Ensenada you will be roaming on Movistar Edge(2G) mostly, you can make phone calls in the larger towns but data is basically unusable until you get south of Ciudad Insurgentes where I have just started picking up Movistar 3G again.

the upside is I have the unlimited data cricket plan, the downside is, cant use the data if you dont have coverage lol

I have heard ATT MX coverage is much better further south, we are headed to La Paz tomorrow and will report back

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.