Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Verizon in baja service quality report 2019
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 10:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtnpop  
Cricket is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T. so they use AT&T time.
We have and worked great in Mulege for 2 years and now this year only 2 weeks after arriving. Was great voice and text to the US and from the US.
Their partner here is movistar, phones work in Loreto but not Mulege or Sta. Rosalia for some reason. They say they can see our phones but we only can use data thru internet. Not sure what happened but guess it has to do with movistar here.
4 phones unlimited Mx, Canada, US for $100 per month now if we could only figure out the problem in Mulege
gotta luv talking for hours to tech services using the land line...

hey mtnpop, do you have android or iphone? I am on iphone and wondering if I would be better off with an android phone down here where I have more control over the APN settings and carrier lock options,

couldnt get any internet data to work in Mulege or Loreto on Movistar, every once in a while I would get a facebook message but it was pretty much unusable for data, could make phone calls in both locations though

testing on an older iPhone SE and iPhone 6S

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 08:43 AM

We have a moto (motorola) and a samsung both androids. both work very well in Loreto and worked only 2 weeks after arriving in Mulege this year. worked for 2 years b4 that in Mulege.
never have talked with anyone about iphones in the area.
Last year a friend with T-mobile android had very good results in Mulege also...

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  
We have and worked great in Mulege for 2 years and now this year only 2 weeks after arriving. Was great voice and text to the US and from the US.
Their partner here is movistar, phones work in Loreto but not Mulege or Sta. Rosalia for some reason. They say they can see our phones but we only can use data thru internet. Not sure what happened but guess it has to do with movistar here.
4 phones unlimited Mx, Canada, US for $100 per month now if we could only figure out the problem in Mulege

hey mtnpop, do you have android or iphone? I am on iphone and wondering if I would be better off with an android phone down here where I have more control over the APN settings and carrier lock options,

couldnt get any internet data to work in Mulege or Loreto on Movistar, every once in a while I would get a facebook message but it was pretty much unusable for data, could make phone calls in both locations though

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tobias  
Please feel free to add.
Service is getting a bit better every year it seems.

San Felipe - Strong signal , 4G , easy to stream video
Guerrero Negro - Strong signal , 4G , easy to stream video
Mulege - Strong signal , 4G , easy to stream video
Loreto - Strong signal , 4G , easy to stream video

Todos Santos- horrible signal , no G in sight , you can barely check your email.

Guess where I spend most of my time down here?

To be clear you're saying this is Telcel using Verizon roaming? Do you have an unlimited plan with 500mb daily data cap in Mexico?

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 11:50 AM

We have a moto (motorola) and a samsung both androids. both work very well in Loreto and worked only 2 weeks after arriving in Mulege this year. worked for 2 years b4 that in Mulege.
never have talked with anyone about iphones in the area.
Last year a friend with T-mobile android had very good results in Mulege also...

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  

interesting, im in Loreto now, Cricket only roaming on Movistar E which is basically unusable for data

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
ztrab
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 12:59 PM
verizon

FWIW, when I cross the border my Verizon plan, with Mexico, switches automatically and texts me to let me know. It will automatically hunt a different carrier if telcel isn't available. It works well at my house south of Puerto Penasco and I've had very good luck on the peninsula and all the way into Chiappas on the mainland. I carry an InReach SE, so if I ever really need to communicate, I'm covered - then again, I try not to use my phone when I'm I'm relaxing in Mexico :-). I've never maxed out my data but I'm not streaming movies or using it as a hot spot and I think I have 10 gb or something - jeez, I don't even remember.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 04:07 PM

So far Verizon has been good for me from Tecate towards San Felipe. A couple of dead zones. Seamless though. That’s how I’m posting here from my phone hotspot about 7 km from Hwy 5 heading towards SF.
Baja_Traveler

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 06:14 PM

Verizon has a strong signal in San Quintin, the town of San Ignacio (not the lagoon however) and a good signal (signal drops off sometimes) in Punta Abreojos (and Campo Rene). I never stream, so have no idea if its possible...
tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 06:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Three2tango  

To be clear you're saying this is Telcel using Verizon roaming? Do you have an unlimited plan with 500mb daily data cap in Mexico?

exactly correct
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 08:57 AM

Quote:

Not in Baja (the mainland), but I have the 55+ plan through Verizon and have unlimited voice, text to the US and Canada and Mexico. 500 mg daily limit.

Sometimes I notice the phone is on Movistar but 90% of the time, I am using Telcel towers. Completely seamless crossing the border. I get a text message upon crossing that outlines the details of my plan.

Unlocked Samsung 7s. Bought it brand new on E bay about 18 months ago.

The days of Verizon being a disadvantage in my part of Mexico have ended. Verizon is king in the rural mountain areas of the western US, so that's why I have Verizon. Any service works if you are a city dweller.

[Edited on 1-6-2019 by Hook]
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 09:49 AM

I've had zero problems with Verizon.

Making America Great Again
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 09:54 AM

Here is a question I know ya'll will have an answer to: When I am in Mulege or Santa Rosalia, my AT&T phone says I have full LTE or 4G service, but it still doesn't work for data. Is there some special secret agent trick that will enable my phone to actually work well? When I get Mexican AT&T service everything is fine (but I never get that in the area I spend time in), but TelCel and Moviestar are terrible for me.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Here is a question I know ya'll will have an answer to: When I am in Mulege or Santa Rosalia, my AT&T phone says I have full LTE or 4G service, but it still doesn't work for data. Is there some special secret agent trick that will enable my phone to actually work well? When I get Mexican AT&T service everything is fine (but I never get that in the area I spend time in), but TelCel and Moviestar are terrible for me.

Look in your settings menu, probably under Connections and make sure you have roaming data turned on. That's the most likely reason.

Also look at your network mode and try putting it on Global or choosing CDMA or GSM and see if that makes a difference.

If not, call your carrier. Verizon's help lines have always been good for me; when I was with ATT, not so much.

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 11:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

Look in your settings menu, probably under Connections and make sure you have roaming data turned on. That's the most likely reason.

Also look at your network mode and try putting it on Global or choosing CDMA or GSM and see if that makes a difference.

If not, call your carrier. Verizon's help lines have always been good for me; when I was with ATT, not so much.

Thank you for that info - apparently my iPhone 7 lacks some capability. Maybe I'll splurge for the XS after all and purchase it from Apple so it is unlocked...
floydo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 09:01 PM

Verizon worked well in cities and a lot of countryside down to La Ventana. Data was good, but text is pretty weird all over. You get a text, then "download text" boxes and the first 3 text words appear after clicking then the text reappears after a short period in an associated thread. So you have to then search a bit for the text. This is mostly in group texts. We are now on third level support, and they are supposed to call back. Generally the support has been great, but this problem on 2 different phones same account. Anybody else had something similar?
Last year AT&T was better for local calls in LV, but this year so far VZW is great.

Screenshot_20190106-111301_Messages.jpg - 8kB
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 09:30 PM

Yes, I saw a lot of that type of download box over the holidays, when lots of people were in town. Now it has disappeared almost completely, except for some group messages. I assumed it was due to cell tower overload, because it disappeared once the holidays ended.

To minimize unnecessary downloading of images in text messages, I do have Data Saver turned ON, which allows me to decide whether an image is really that critical to the text message. I have to prompt a download, in this case. So, whenever I get a text message with an image, I get that box.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.