BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Volaris - TJ to Loreto question
geronimo21
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 42
Registered: 3-29-2016
Location: The Sonoran Desert
Member Is Offline

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 03:22 PM
Volaris - TJ to Loreto question


It looks like Volaris starts its TJ to Loreto flights on March 9th.

I see the option to book flights to Loreto from TJ, but not from TJ-San Diego (CBX).

What's the difference? Can one get to the TJ terminal from the CBX?

It sounds like the TJ-SD (CBX) is all on the U.S. side and the TJ terminal is in Baja...but not having been there, I don't know the lay of the land.

Any advice that helps avoid a logistical nightmare would be much appreciated!

Also, anyone ever take a surfboard or fishing gear on Volaris? It looks like max length for boards is just over 8'. Wondering if anyone has been able to take a longboard on Volaris...like a 9'6"?
View user's profile
JZ
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 3484
Registered: 10-3-2003
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 03:33 PM


CBX is the walkway from the US to the TJ airport. Super fast to walk across and get to the gate. Parking available in the CBX lot.

On the Voaris website you have the option of buying the CBX pass when you buy your tickets.




See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs



View user's profile
geronimo21
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 42
Registered: 3-29-2016
Location: The Sonoran Desert
Member Is Offline

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 05:09 PM


Thanks, JZ.

If one goes to the Volaris website there are two options for Tijuana departures: Tijuana-San Diego (CBX) and Tijuana.

Only the Tijuana departure provides an option for Loreto (the TJ-SD/CBX does not - last screenshot attached...).

So, I'm trying to figure out what the difference is. Why are flights offered from one "terminal" and not the other? What am I missing here?

Is it just a matter of booking the TJ departure option and walking across the CBX to the TJ terminal or are there other logistics to consider?

Also, it looks like they may be tweaking their site. Yesterday, airfare was quoted in usd and today only pesos...

Screenshots uploaded.

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
CBX is the walkway from the US to the TJ airport. Super fast to walk across and get to the gate. Parking available in the CBX lot.

On the Voaris website you have the option of buying the CBX pass when you buy your tickets.


Screenshot_2019-01-02 Volaris - Ultra low cost airline with the cheapest flight deals-Volaris.png - 118kB 2019-01-03 Volaris.png - 79kB

2019-01-04 Volaris - No Flights from TJ-SD-CBX.png - 47kB
View user's profile
JZ
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 3484
Registered: 10-3-2003
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 05:23 PM


Just book TJ as departure and walk across the CBX. You can buy passes at the CBX or on the Volaris site.

Very easy. My wife and daughter even did it once to meet us.







[Edited on 1-4-2019 by JZ]




See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs



View user's profile
Alm
Ultra Nomad
*****




Posts: 2060
Registered: 5-10-2011
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 07:14 PM


I see the option to book flights to Loreto from TJ, but not from TJ-San Diego (CBX). What's the difference?

None, from passenger's perspective. Book from TJ.

Can one get to the TJ terminal from the CBX?

Yes. It's a toll bridge, you walk.

It sounds like the TJ-SD (CBX) is all on the U.S. side and the TJ terminal is in Baja

Yes. You walk from the US side to TJ side.

Any advice that helps avoid a logistical nightmare would be much appreciated!

There is no nightmare. Book the flight, book CBX pass, walk.
View user's profile
Bajaboy
Elite Nomad
******




Posts: 4022
Registered: 10-9-2003
Location: Spring Valley/Bahia Asuncion
Member Is Online


[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 07:17 PM


I like to pay in pesos. I avoid the fee Volaris charges and my credit card doesn't charge me an international fee.



View user's profile
sancho
Ultra Nomad
*****




Posts: 2379
Registered: 10-6-2004
Location: san clemente,ca
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 01:07 PM


Not that this part of your ?, along with the bridge crossing
fee, there is a parking fee, what I've seen, cheapest is $12 day
to $25. And a tourist card at $25 ish





Leave No Trace
View user's profile
wilderone
Elite Nomad
******




Posts: 3354
Registered: 2-9-2004
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 10:02 AM


So to avoid the CBX bridge fee, the cost to get to the CBX crossing in Otay (board downtown San Diego), and/or parking fees, you can pack light, and walk across at the San Ysidro border, then take a taxi to the airport. Not much surf in Loreto. Pack fishing poles in hard case.
View user's profile
BornFisher
Super Nomad
****




Posts: 1859
Registered: 1-11-2005
Location: K-38 Santa Martha/Encinitas
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 11:15 AM


Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Just book TJ as departure and walk across the CBX. You can buy passes at the CBX or on the Volaris site.

Very easy. My wife and daughter even did it once to meet us.




I thought you couldn`t cross northbound without a boarding pass.


[Edited on 1-4-2019 by JZ]




"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
View user's profile
JZ
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 3484
Registered: 10-3-2003
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 12:57 PM


Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  



I thought you couldn`t cross northbound without a boarding pass.

[/rquote]


I don't follow your question exactly, but once you fly into the TJ airport you have access to CBX.

Obviously, you can't just walk into the airport and use CBX.




See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs



View user's profile
JZ
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 3484
Registered: 10-3-2003
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 12:58 PM


Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
So to avoid the CBX bridge fee, the cost to get to the CBX crossing in Otay (board downtown San Diego), and/or parking fees, you can pack light, and walk across at the San Ysidro border, then take a taxi to the airport. Not much surf in Loreto. Pack fishing poles in hard case.


This is being pretty cheap and not sure it would really save much money anyway. Waste time going South, but not too bad.

Coming North, forget about it. CBX saves hours. You clear customs in 2 mins sometimes.




See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs



View user's profile
wilderone
Elite Nomad
******




Posts: 3354
Registered: 2-9-2004
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 04:24 PM


Si, pero he needs to know all his options (given: "It sounds like the TJ-SD (CBX) is all on the U.S. side and the TJ terminal is in Baja...but not having been there, I don't know the lay of the land.") I agree crossing at Otay when returning to USA from TJ airport is faster, but then you're stuck out in Otay (Uber back to ??) So clarifying Tijuana, Otay, CBX bridge, San Ysidro, TJ terminal (airport) is necessary.
View user's profile
geronimo21
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 42
Registered: 3-29-2016
Location: The Sonoran Desert
Member Is Offline

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 12:32 AM


Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
I see the option to book flights to Loreto from TJ, but not from TJ-San Diego (CBX). What's the difference?

None, from passenger's perspective. Book from TJ.

Can one get to the TJ terminal from the CBX?

Yes. It's a toll bridge, you walk.

It sounds like the TJ-SD (CBX) is all on the U.S. side and the TJ terminal is in Baja

Yes. You walk from the US side to TJ side.

Any advice that helps avoid a logistical nightmare would be much appreciated!

There is no nightmare. Book the flight, book CBX pass, walk.


Thanks, Alm. In addition to your responses being very helpful, they gave me a good chuckle. I'm overthinking it. I get it! :lol:
View user's profile
geronimo21
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 42
Registered: 3-29-2016
Location: The Sonoran Desert
Member Is Offline

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 12:33 AM


Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Not that this part of your ?, along with the bridge crossing
fee, there is a parking fee, what I've seen, cheapest is $12 day
to $25. And a tourist card at $25 ish



Thanks for the heads up, Sancho.
View user's profile
geronimo21
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 42
Registered: 3-29-2016
Location: The Sonoran Desert
Member Is Offline

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 12:45 AM


Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
So to avoid the CBX bridge fee, the cost to get to the CBX crossing in Otay (board downtown San Diego), and/or parking fees, you can pack light, and walk across at the San Ysidro border, then take a taxi to the airport. Not much surf in Loreto. Pack fishing poles in hard case.


[EDIT: I just read the exchange b/t wilderone and jz on this topic after writing what's below. Thanks for the clarification.]

Thanks for your suggestions, wilderone. Your post does raise a question...:?:

How far apart are the San Ysidro and Otay crossings and how much can one save (time/money) by taking a taxi from Ysidro?

I've read in other posts about taking a Greyhound from wherever that goes right to the terminal...there were a couple of other suggestions like taking a shuttle from d/t SD and that remote truck parking lot...but it sounds like your taxi suggestion or Greyhound might be best.

I've heard Loreto is pretty flat, but that there may be surf on the Pacific side at a place nobody knows about.;)

Thanks for the tip on the hard case...I've got a pvc tube...hope that'll work.

[Edited on 1-7-2019 by geronimo21]
View user's profile
geronimo21
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 42
Registered: 3-29-2016
Location: The Sonoran Desert
Member Is Offline

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 01:12 AM


Thanks for all the responses. I just saw them tonight when I checked back in. I didn't think I had to subscribe to my own post to get notified of responses. Or maybe I didn't check a "get notified" box when I posted.

In any event, the responses were very helpful.

I've read there may be some other ways of connecting to the TJ airport...like Greyhound, Volaris and CBX shuttle, but I need to do a bit more research on those options. I'm looking to avoid paying a daily parking fee for 1-2 weeks while in Baja.

I might be able to park for free at a friend's house in OC or SD...so maybe Greyhound could be can option.

Just going to post this link to another thread on here for future reference. It seems to have so good info on transpo options:

TJ Airport Transpo Thread

Thanks again to all for your advice.
View user's profile
wilderone
Elite Nomad
******




Posts: 3354
Registered: 2-9-2004
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 10:37 AM


So you're driving into the San Diego area? (What's OC?)
If you're flying Volaris, they do have the add-on CBX bridge ticket offered. They have a pick-up point in downtown San Diego (so you'd need to meet that shuttle). See how much that shuttle costs; the bridge fee is about $15 OW. Using a shuttle to the CBX bridge at the Otay crossing would be the easiest way to get to TJ airport, but is probably the most expensive. Logistically, you will need to decide if it makes sense.
I have taken Greyhound to the TJ airport from their last SD "station" (a weird trailer across the street from one of the trolley stops in downtown SD - it was $12 a few years ago). The Greyhound bus USED TO go all the way to the airport, but now it stops at the San Ysidro border and you are directed to another smaller collectivo (no extra charge), that will cross into TJ, which then picks up a few other passengers going to various places - the airport was to be the last stop among the passengers' destinations. The waiting, the pick-up/drop-off took about 1 1/2 hrs. - it made me frantic thinking that I might miss my flight. I won't do that again. You can walk across and get in a taxi in about 1/2 hr.
San Ysidro and Otay crossings are about 10 miles apart - Otay is about 15 mi. from downtown SD. A trolley goes to the San Ysidro border crossing for $$2.25. You walk a bit to cross, acquiring your tourist visa en route, but then just take a taxi to the airport (about $8-10) - drops you off right in front.
Returning from your trip and crossing into US from San Ysidro is a bit more problematical, as the pedestrian line at San Ysidro can be a wait up to 1 1/2 hrs. There are options - the Greyhound bus (I think $7 USD paid in pesos only), boards at TJ central bus terminal close to the airport) - at least you can sit on the bus with air conditioning while you wait, and once your busload gets to US customs, you can take the trolley faster than waiting for your connector bus on the US side to continue to the Greyhound station (you'd be paying for a trolley ticket anyway unless somebody picks you up at the SD Greyhound station).
Transportation to the San Ysidro pedestrian line from the airport has a few options as well: shared van, taxi, public bus (very cheap like $0.50 cents - - gets you to Revolution Ave. or a little closer - then $5 taxi to end of pedestrian line). If you have a CBX bridge ticket offered through your Volaris ticket purchase, you are about 15 miles from downtown San Diego at this point, and will need to figure out how to get to wherever it is you want to go. Not many options here.
I travel light and just suck up the 1-2 hrs. at the pedestrian line, take the trolley, then a bus to my house, walk two blocks home. It takes a long time, but it's manageable, and with senior fares (!) costs me $2.35. I tell an airport taxi driver that I will pay $10 to the border. They will want more - I tell them I will pay $10 - take it or leave it. The factors that come into play for your decisions are where you're coming from, where your car is and the costs involved. Always give yourself plenty of extra time to get to the airport to avoid a worrisome time crunch.
View user's profile
geronimo21
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 42
Registered: 3-29-2016
Location: The Sonoran Desert
Member Is Offline

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

shocked.gif posted on 1-8-2019 at 04:18 AM
Options...and more options.


Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
So you're driving into the San Diego area? (What's OC?)
If you're flying Volaris, they do have the add-on CBX bridge ticket offered. They have a pick-up point in downtown San Diego (so you'd need to meet that shuttle). See how much that shuttle costs; the bridge fee is about $15 OW. Using a shuttle to the CBX bridge at the Otay crossing would be the easiest way to get to TJ airport, but is probably the most expensive. Logistically, you will need to decide if it makes sense.
I have taken Greyhound to the TJ airport from their last SD "station" (a weird trailer across the street from one of the trolley stops in downtown SD - it was $12 a few years ago). The Greyhound bus USED TO go all the way to the airport, but now it stops at the San Ysidro border and you are directed to another smaller collectivo (no extra charge), that will cross into TJ, which then picks up a few other passengers going to various places - the airport was to be the last stop among the passengers' destinations. The waiting, the pick-up/drop-off took about 1 1/2 hrs. - it made me frantic thinking that I might miss my flight. I won't do that again. You can walk across and get in a taxi in about 1/2 hr.
San Ysidro and Otay crossings are about 10 miles apart - Otay is about 15 mi. from downtown SD. A trolley goes to the San Ysidro border crossing for $$2.25. You walk a bit to cross, acquiring your tourist visa en route, but then just take a taxi to the airport (about $8-10) - drops you off right in front.
Returning from your trip and crossing into US from San Ysidro is a bit more problematical, as the pedestrian line at San Ysidro can be a wait up to 1 1/2 hrs. There are options - the Greyhound bus (I think $7 USD paid in pesos only), boards at TJ central bus terminal close to the airport) - at least you can sit on the bus with air conditioning while you wait, and once your busload gets to US customs, you can take the trolley faster than waiting for your connector bus on the US side to continue to the Greyhound station (you'd be paying for a trolley ticket anyway unless somebody picks you up at the SD Greyhound station).
Transportation to the San Ysidro pedestrian line from the airport has a few options as well: shared van, taxi, public bus (very cheap like $0.50 cents - - gets you to Revolution Ave. or a little closer - then $5 taxi to end of pedestrian line). If you have a CBX bridge ticket offered through your Volaris ticket purchase, you are about 15 miles from downtown San Diego at this point, and will need to figure out how to get to wherever it is you want to go. Not many options here.
I travel light and just suck up the 1-2 hrs. at the pedestrian line, take the trolley, then a bus to my house, walk two blocks home. It takes a long time, but it's manageable, and with senior fares (!) costs me $2.35. I tell an airport taxi driver that I will pay $10 to the border. They will want more - I tell them I will pay $10 - take it or leave it. The factors that come into play for your decisions are where you're coming from, where your car is and the costs involved. Always give yourself plenty of extra time to get to the airport to avoid a worrisome time crunch.


wilderone, clearly, this ain't your first rodeo...Yes, we'll be driving to SD or Orange County (OC)...Don't have that dialed in just yet. Depends on where we can get free, secure parking for our truck (and friends' vehicles...if others come along).

To be honest, my head was swimming trying to make sense of all the options, different border crossings, taxi, shuttle and bus options...If I was going by myself (and didn't have a surfboard and fishing gear), I'd go for the adventure. But, I'm going to be traveling with folks who won't have a lot of patience for all that. They like things simple. So, CBX sounds like it may be the way to go. Maybe one shuttle from d/t SD and walk across.

Sounds like CBX may be the easiest, most direct way? Shortest walk to terminal...fastest? Sounds like, unless one knows where they are going, the other options may present more problems than are worth the reduced cost...

I'm still looking for the cost of the shuttle to CBX from d/t SD..., but here's a link (for other noobs that may come along) that explains the CBX crossing. It has pictures and explanations...so that's helpful. It is a bit dated (from 2016) so some things may have changed (some of these changes are reflected in the comments post-article).

CBX Explanation with Pictures!

One other question:

Do you print out your FMM before you cross?

I see a website where this can be done. If crossing the CBX, would one fill out the Terrestre (By Land) or Aerea (By Air) FMM form? Just looking to streamline the whole process ahead of time.

Link for FMM

Thanks for the heads up on the Greyhound no longer going directly to the TJ airport. I think that effectively cancels out that option.
View user's profile
danaeb
Senior Nomad
***




Posts: 987
Registered: 11-13-2006
Location: San Diego; El Centenario
Member Is Offline

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 08:25 AM


Yes on printing the FMM. Be sure you select the "By Land" option and the "Conexcion peatonal aeroportuario Tijuana" as your port of entry. You must also print the receipt for the FMM credit card payment.

When you enter the CBX lobby, you'll see the rope line where you enter the bridge. Have the following documents in hand: passport, boarding pass and CBX ticket. Follow the other people over the bridge. When you are on the other side, you'll need your passport, FMM and FMM payment receipt to present to INM. Once through INM, you'l see a Volaris check-in desk on the other side of the glass doors. If the desk is not open, you'll be directed to the main lobby of the airport where you will go to the other end of the lobby to the main check-in desks.




Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
View user's profile
JZ
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 3484
Registered: 10-3-2003
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 10:00 AM


Quote: Originally posted by geronimo21  


To be honest, my head was swimming trying to make sense of all the options, different border crossings, taxi, shuttle and bus options...If I was going by myself (and didn't have a surfboard and fishing gear), I'd go for the adventure. But, I'm going to be traveling with folks who won't have a lot of patience for all that. They like things simple. So, CBX sounds like it may be the way to go. Maybe one shuttle from d/t SD and walk across.

Sounds like CBX may be the easiest, most direct way? Shortest walk to terminal...fastest? Sounds like, unless one knows where they are going, the other options may present more problems than are worth the reduced cost...



CBX is 10x easier than any other way. 2nd place isn't remotely close. Anyone who knows the good old days before CBX will tell you that. Trying to save a few pesos going any other way is nuts.





See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs



View user's profile
 Pages:  1    3

  Go To Top

 






All Content Copyright � 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.
Powered by XMB; XMB Forum Software © 2001-2014 The XMB Group�






"If it were lush and rich, one could understand the pull, but it is fierce and hostile and sullen. The stone mountains pile up to the sky and there is little fresh water. But we know we must go back if we live, and we don't know why." - Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

"People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." - Ivan R. Misner, Ph.D

"You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them or to them." - Malcolm Forbes

"Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else's hands, but not you." - Jim Rohn







Thank you to Baja Bound Mexico Insurance Services for your long-term support of the BajaNomad.com Forums site.







Emergency Baja Contacts Include:

Desert Hawks; El Rosario-based ambulance transport; Emergency #: (616) 103-0262