Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Volaris - TJ to Loreto question
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 10:03 AM

You might want to consider a cheap parking lot near CBX instead of paying per-person to get there and then per-person when departing.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 10:30 AM

Get an Uber or Lyft XL. Split it between the guys traveling. Much better than a shuttle.

Leaving CBX you can get one in 2 mins.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 12:51 PM

Volaris posted a notice that they no longer offer shuttle service from San Diego to Tijuana airport, and encourage people to use CBX bridge instead.

You can still take Uber or shuttle from SD to CBX. Shuttle is called Passport Bus, service is a so-so, I would rather take Uber.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
I agree crossing at Otay when returning to USA from TJ airport is faster, but then you're stuck out in Otay (Uber back to ??) So clarifying Tijuana, Otay, CBX bridge, San Ysidro, TJ terminal (airport) is necessary.

Fair enough.

Otay = ground crossing "near" the airport. I don't recall any shuttles on the US side at Otay.

CBX = crossborder bridge straight to TJ airport. There are shuttles to and from CBX, on the US side. You can use CBX to walk North but only within 2 hours after arrival - keep your boarding pass.

San Ysidro - ground crossing some 10 miles from CBX. Plenty of transportation from SD to SY. For me there is no incentive to choose Otay pedestrian over SY because I can now cross SY-ped in under 10 minutes. It's called Nexus card (Canadian version of Sentri), works as pedestrian Sentri.
geronimo21
Junior Nomad

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by danaeb  
Yes on printing the FMM. Be sure you select the "By Land" option and the "Conexcion peatonal aeroportuario Tijuana" as your port of entry. You must also print the receipt for the FMM credit card payment.

When you enter the CBX lobby, you'll see the rope line where you enter the bridge. Have the following documents in hand: passport, boarding pass and CBX ticket. Follow the other people over the bridge. When you are on the other side, you'll need your passport, FMM and FMM payment receipt to present to INM. Once through INM, you'l see a Volaris check-in desk on the other side of the glass doors. If the desk is not open, you'll be directed to the main lobby of the airport where you will go to the other end of the lobby to the main check-in desks.

danaeb, Thank you for the detailed instructions! :yes:

[Edited on 1-12-2019 by geronimo21]
geronimo21
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 01:49 PM

JZ, wilderone and Alm, Thanks for the tips. All good. :D
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 02:34 PM

If yo are are flying back to TJ as well, - you don't need Otay or San Ysidro. Walk CBX North and take an Uber or Passport Bus on the US side. Passport Buses are used mostly by local Mexo-Americans and take a lot of luggage. Cheaper than Uber, schedule is a big unknown, this is an option when you are not in a hurry.

I believe CBX pass can be purchased 2-way, so you won't need to buy it when landing in TJ.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 02:45 PM

Oh yeah, and there is also CBX shuttle to/from San Diego: https://www.crossborderxpress.com/en/. Some competition to Passport Bus.
geronimo21
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 01:27 AM
Uber, Lyft XL, Passport or CBX Shuttle...

Thank you for listing the available options.

Which mode of transportation would best accommodate a surfboard (8' to 9'6") and fishing gear?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 09:15 AM

Should re-think the surfboard - size restriction is 110" total (LxWxD). Extra baggage fee, places to use it. Airline takes no responsibility for damage. You're flying to Loreto then traveling to distant beach to surf? Fly into La Paz or Cabo - closer to Pacific Ocean. Then renting one car for your group with surfboards? Maybe you all should split the cost of an upgraded rental car and drive from San Diego.
OK - cheap airfare, but with added costs before boarding, is about twice the airfare (same consideration on return trip). Maybe $12-15 cost to get to CBX bridge; $12.50 bridge fee; extra baggage charge for surfboard; extra oversize baggage fee for fishing poles. If you're going to spend the money to rent a car once you get there anyway, you might get a better rental car deal on the US side - plenty of surf and fishing spots en route to Loreto (if you go that far). You wanted to take advantage of a cheap flight to Loreto - but as you can see, logistics might cancel out any perception of savings. How important is the Loreto destination?
Just a thought.
geronimo21
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 01:22 AM
On Rethinking Surfboard, Plane, etc...

wilderone, I appreciate your assessment, but do think that JZ's comment below sums it up...it takes so much less time to fly even though there may be more logistics involved in some respects.

You have given me some things to consider, though. I don't think most folks in our party would be up for the drive - even in an upgraded rental vehicle.

I, personally, would prefer to drive our truck with my gear and make stops at various places along the way. However, most (if not all) of the people I am traveling with do not surf and are not really into fishing. They will just want to get down there as easily as possible and hang out.

So, I'll likely be the only one incurring extra charges. Even with the extra charges, Volaris still seems like a good deal and a better deal for my fellow travelers who won't be incurring the extra charges. I'm still crunching numbers, though, and travel time is a factor (1.5 hours vs. 2-3 days each way).

My compadres would probably just be content hanging around the pool, wandering the town, taking a few little side trips/excursions. I'm the one that's into fishing and surfing...and fisherman and surfers sometimes go to what others may consider unreasonable lengths to achieve their goals! It's a fine line between getting to do the things I love to do and not burdening my fellow travelers with my fishing and surfing agenda. Ideally, I'd be going with people that have the same interests as me...and maybe some will join our little party before we head down.

How important is the Loreto destination? Good question. I've always wanted to check it out. Fellow travelers (except for my wife) and I have been to Cabo. Kind of want to check somewhere else out. I like the idea that it's population is around 15,000 vs. 150,000 for La Paz.

With that said, though, we are seriously considering La Paz as well as there is some property closer to there that we'd like to check out. And, as you say, it's closer to the Pacific with potentially more surfing spots in range with more open swell windows. We might have to make more than one trip down...One to Loreto and one to La Paz. :light:

I realize it's a gamble to take a board down hoping to sync up with the right swell. I am taking all those factors into consideration (including needing to buy and bring my own soft surfboard racks for the rental vehicle!).

I'll check the surf forecast prior to departure to figure out if it's even worth taking a board down. Volaris has an 8'2" board max limit. So, my 9'6" won't make it. My cousin is a pilot for Alaska Airlines and might be able to get my board down there. Their limit is 9'5" and change. I don't know if he can do it as I haven't asked him, yet, but figure if anyone can do it, he can. He surfs also, so will understand. He might even go with us. I invited him, but haven't had a chance to talk more about it.

So, the bottom line is, I'd like to drive my own truck, with my board racks, fishing rods, tackle, etc...and avoid lugging that chit on a plane, dealing with rental cars (currently researching costs), etc., but not sure that's going to be feasible with the company I'm traveling with. I'm still weighing the pros and cons.

I've even thought about driving down and meeting them there, but we have a Tacoma access cab which is really only comfortable for two people. The back seats aren't very comfortable. So, if I did drive down, we have a truck only good for two out of the four people currently going.

I actually think the hardest part logistics-wise is timing the accommodations to match a potential swell. No way to predict that. How do I book a place in Loreto and then book a place on the Pacific side to coincide with a swell? That's a crap shoot and I haven't figured that one out. Maybe just a roll of the dice and hope to get lucky...or study swell charts to increase odds...that's the thing about waves and fish as we all know...they don't always show up on our schedule!

I do appreciate the different analysis and perspective. Thanks to all for taking an interest in helping us with our trip. Your perspectives are much appreciated. :yes:

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 10:10 AM

Should re-think the surfboard - size restriction is 110" total (LxWxD). Extra baggage fee, places to use it. Airline takes no responsibility for damage. You're flying to Loreto then traveling to distant beach to surf? Fly into La Paz or Cabo - closer to Pacific Ocean. Then renting one car for your group with surfboards? Maybe you all should split the cost of an upgraded rental car and drive from San Diego.
OK - cheap airfare, but with added costs before boarding, is about twice the airfare (same consideration on return trip). Maybe $12-15 cost to get to CBX bridge; $12.50 bridge fee; extra baggage charge for surfboard; extra oversize baggage fee for fishing poles. If you're going to spend the money to rent a car once you get there anyway, you might get a better rental car deal on the US side - plenty of surf and fishing spots en route to Loreto (if you go that far). You wanted to take advantage of a cheap flight to Loreto - but as you can see, logistics might cancel out any perception of savings. How important is the Loreto destination?
Just a thought.

Lol. You left out the part that the plane makes it there in 1.5hr and it takes 3 days to drive it... each way.

Ppl take surf boards and fishing poles on planes hundreds of times every day.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 11:14 AM

JZ - you left out all qualifying considerations.
geronimo21
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 10:43 PM
Surfboard...

Oh, and I have considered how surfboards might be handled on a plane. It certainly is a concern. I have a decent board bag and would plan to wrap the chit out of it with bubble wrap...

As far as traveling to a distant place from Loreto to surf...I am thinking of making a side trip for 2-3 days so it's not a 7 hour roundtrip in a day...be able to take in the sights and sounds of a different place in the same vicinity...obviously a bit more complicated logistics-wise and wouldn't really be worth it if no surf. So, definitely a gamble there...

On another note, airfare from LAX to Loreto on Alaska is quite a bit more expensive...it's worse from Phoenix and takes about a day to get there with all the layovers and connections...

Alaska LAX to Loreto.jpg - 93kB
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 11:37 PM

LA to Loreto per person round trip for $350 is pretty damn good.

You can get it for $250 per person some times.

geronimo21
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 12:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
LA to Loreto per person round trip for $350 is pretty damn good.

You can get it for $250 per person some times.

$375 pp/rt was about a cheap as I could find on Alaska. That was picking dates with the lowest fares.

Found about $75 pp/rt on Volaris, but would have to add CBX, FMM and extra baggage fees to that I suppose. Not sure if I'd need to add FMM cost if flying on Alaska.

Do they include that in the cost of the plane ticket?

Might have to do a quick apples to apples cost-comparision spreadsheet.

I figure there will be transportation/parking costs to the airport whether flying Alaska out of LA or Volaris out of TJ so I don't think I'd include that in the analysis.

Benefit to flying Alaska?

a.) I'd be able to bring my 9'6" and not have to work out logistics of my cousin getting it down there separately. :light:;

b.) Nicer planes/service?

c.) ?

[Edited on 1-13-2019 by geronimo21]
geronimo21
Junior Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 1-12-2019 at 03:30 AM
Taxes, taxes and...more taxes?

OK, just crunched some numbers...as close as I could get to apples to apples.

See attached excel spreadsheet for details...:!:

There are some potential wildcards in play....but bottom line is for two people R/T:

Volaris = $262.31

Alaska Airlines = $818.30

Savings with Volaris: $555.99

For four people...that'll save over $1100...can put that into rental car, trip to islands, food, accommodations...

Pretty hard to pass up those savings.

Airfare Comparison50.png - 59kB
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 06:15 AM

You're going to surf Scorpion Bay? There's a hotel there that might have long boards to lend. Check it out.
geronimo21
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 12:35 AM
Surfboards and CBX...

You're going to surf Scorpion Bay? There's a hotel there that might have long boards to lend. Check it out.

Thank you for your suggestion.

A couple of recent posters (on here or Talk Baja) mentioned the boards were "slim pickins" down there last time they went. But, I could always call the hotel and get a direct update...

I just saw an announcement that CBX fees will be waived for those flying to Loreto March through May this year...More savings. 👍
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 01:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geronimo21  

$375 pp/rt was about a cheap as I could find on Alaska. That was picking dates with the lowest fares.

Found about $75 pp/rt on Volaris, but would have to add CBX, FMM and extra baggage fees to that I suppose. Not sure if I'd need to add FMM cost if flying on Alaska.

Do they include that in the cost of the plane ticket?

Might have to do a quick apples to apples cost-comparision spreadsheet.

I figure there will be transportation/parking costs to the airport whether flying Alaska out of LA or Volaris out of TJ so I don't think I'd include that in the analysis.

Benefit to flying Alaska? I'd be able to bring my 9'6" and not have to work out logistics of my cousin getting it down there separately. :light:

Alaska is from LA. Volaris is from TJ.

I live in LA and have 3 kids that we travel with to Baja and Sonora. Trust me, we've gone back and forth on what is better. We do both routes. Kinda depends on how many are traveling with and how much time you have.

FMM is included in the price of the ticket for flights from the US.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.