BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: La Paz area snorkeling???
steve62

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 10:50 AM
La Paz area snorkeling???

Hello

Wondering where to get in some good snorkeling while in La Paz. Don't have a vehicle or boat but can bus out the the main beaches.

Where can we expect to see clear waters and a fair bit of marine life?

Also wondering if its possible to rent a small fishing boat for the day for self guided fishing and visiting reefs a big further out.

thanks
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 05:24 PM

Several places near La Paz come to mind. Going out past Pichilingue, past Tecolote up a dirt road and back to the shoreline the small beaches and rocky areas are good snorkeling. You are at Punta Las Galeras and beyond. There is an area to the left of Tecolote also. Past Ensenada El Coyote is an excellent rocky area down to Puerto Mixta. One of my favorites is off the old Punta Arenas hotel....you park at the end of the road at the hotel and walk down the beach to the right (in front of the hotel) and the rocky area is great. Rocks have fossilized shells embedded in them. Shallow water in front, a deep canyon you can jump into and snorkel away. Not only do you see smaller marine life, but some sizable ones also. Get a good book on marine tropical fishes and you will see many. All of these are clean water unlike the bay, however snorkeling among the mangroves on the Magote in the Bay can also be rewarding. There is a long channel near the old hotel that can be pretty good. This is Bay stuff, muddy bottom, bottom dwellers. Some pretty great sand dollars, rays, etc. Wish I could join you.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 09:35 PM

If you're willing to board a panga and go offshore, you can go north to the islands and snorkel in the sea lion colony.
You didn't mention what time of year you were going. The water can be surprisingly cool, depending on the season.
Here's a link:
https://www.caboexpeditions.com.mx/adventures/espiritu-santo...

bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 10:33 AM

If going anytime soon check weather as I was there most of the month of December and it was too cold & windy for snorkeling unless you are from Canada/Europe where temps are colder than U.S.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 11:17 AM

By car you can go to Pichilengue beach as a good place to go to find some action on the outside edges of the bay, or of course Balandra and Tecolote at the edges of the rocks, the further away from others the better, like El Saltito. You can also drive to El Sargento all the way to end of the road, Punta Pescadero or Boca Del Alamo. For real quick and easy, there are a ton of boats leaving the Malecon daily about 10am-12pm, for example, Eco Calafia Tours that will take you right to the action to dive with whale sharks, turtles, dolphin, seal lions and see some action guaranteed. It's not cold at all, water is about 74F on SOC and warmer on the Pacific, there are days of cool 70F weather intermixed with warm 80F sunny weather.

Just returned from a week of snorkeling with friends and family. You can also camp at any these locations noted below for free, but keep it clean and pack all trash and waste, here's some photos:

Guided Tours leaving La Paz daily--cost about $35 per person for 3-4 hours - Eco Calafia Tours or Los Rauls Tours are highly recommended

IMG_7428 (1).jpg - 237kB

Punta El Cardonal

IMG_7395 (2).jpg - 202kB

IMG_7275.jpg - 168kB

South of Punta Pescadero is world famous Tuna Canyon

IMG_7232 (1).jpg - 204kB

Punta Pescadero is a great spot to swim and stop by the restaurant for a dip in the pool and food and drinks or enjoy watching your favorite sports

IMG_7214.jpg - 123kB

Tecolote - boats also leave to go to Isla Espirtu Santo for a quick trip vs leaving the Malecon for a longer trip to the islands
IMG_6801.jpg - 146kB

La Balandra La Perla de La Paz

IMG_6423.jpg - 170kB

[Edited on 1-6-2019 by gnukid]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 06:29 PM

"Tecolote - boats also leave to go to Isla Espirtu Santo for a quick trip vs leaving the Malecon for a longer trip to the islands"

It's the same trip - boat from La Paz picks up passengers at Tecolote - snorkeling trip is about 7 hrs - cruise past east coast of Espiritu Santo island, pointing out interesting things, then about an hour at the sea lion colony where all the boats go (off Isla Partida). Absolutely astounding. Then a stop for lunch (included - seem all boats serve ham and cheese sandwiches and ceviche (excellent)). About an hour or so on this pristine beach - where you can snorkel too. Then cruise back on the west side of the islands. You can bring your own beer and put it in their cooler. They have snorkels, masks, life jackets, drinks.
I also went snorkeling at Tecolote, Balandra (pales in comparison to the boat tour to Isla Partida). I had a calm day, warm water.
I also saw a smaller, fast boat with just a couple of people - probably much more expensive, but it was the same trip we were on.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 07:19 PM

Week Jan 13 - 20 is forecasted to be 30c in the region - warm

There are many tour companies, 20-30 operating daily - at the moment diving is closely managed with oversight from Semarnat on sight to ensure that boats don't overcrowd areas, whale sharks or seal lion areas, captains and guides are certified, boats well prepared.

Personally its a bit much for me to go all the way from inside the Bay to Partida round trip is a long day in a panga, so if I am going to the island I prefer to leave from Tecolote. I would do 2 trips one inside the Bay and one outside with a 4 hour round trip max. But if you can handle it its a great long day especially in a bigger boat 28foot plus with bathroom, definitely want to choose the right size boat for the trip.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 09:34 AM

So questions.

I have done the all day boat trips in the past and while they were great, but I don’t really like swimming with sea lions or need to hear everything again...this isn’t a complaint, the tours are fantastic and thorough....however...
If I just want to go out to Espiritu to swim/snorkel and enjoy the ride and see coves and bays I haven’t seen then can I hire someone in their panga for just a few hours here and there?
I’ve been looking for info on that but would rather just ask you guys.

If yes, would Tecolote be my best bet? Or just beg someone I see with a boat, lol

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 09:38 AM

Go out to Tecolote. You can tell them you want a panga all by yourself. Costs more, but worth it vs. being on a boat with a bunch of tourists and being on fixed schedule/path.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 10:07 AM

Ok thank you.

Are the guys at Tecolote independent panga owners or are they also part of the companies all down the Malecon?
I’m really just looking for a guy with a boat I will take me out for a bit and where I want to go.
Thank you
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 10:21 AM

contact Benjamin - best guide in La Paz
he knows what works best for you
independent Panga

https://www.facebook.com/benjamin.duarte.583

Harald Pietschmann
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 10:24 AM

Thank you Harald.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2019 at 07:40 AM

You also might want to check with the Cortez Club at the La Concha Hotel. The water is still rather chilly and they can provide you with wetsuits as well as mask, snorkel and fins an addition to providing a guide and boat

In Memory of E-57
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2019 at 07:42 AM

Another spot for decent snorkeling is the reef in front of the 1534 Restaurant at Muertos if you have the means to get there

In Memory of E-57
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2019 at 08:21 AM

There are guys with boats. The snorkel trip I went on said they need a 8-person minimum. There was a smaller, sleek boat, but still went to the same place all the boats went. If you want your own boat, you'll be paying a much higher price. SEMARNAT oversees where the boats can go. The SEMARNAT boat came around checking permits when I was there. I saw several sailboats anchored in the coves on the sheltered west side - and a few fishing boats too. Boats are all lined up at Tecolote, and the hawkers have communication with other boats in town. I don't know if the boats are restricted to a certain area - but the place where they all go is phenomenal - but quite a distance - at least an hour at a pretty fast clip. I don't know the particular restrictions, but likely a permit needed for pangas to go to certain areas, some areas probably restricted altogether. Probably a limited amount of time at the allowable spots. The inland area on the beach where everyone has lunch is roped off with signs - no trespassing. The islands are protected, so subject to regulations. A long ride in an open panga would be pretty rough. Any ride from Tecolote would be shorter than La Paz malecon. There is pretty decent snorkling at Los Arbolitos beach and south from there along the coast. Boats leave from Cabo Pulmo, but they came over to where I walked from Los Arbolitos to Playa Serenita.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2019 at 08:29 AM

Thank you soooo much Alan and wilderone!

I will have a car so can check all the places out.

I love snorkeling and need to upgrade to scuba diving one day soon. I keep putting it off because I don’t want to learn here in CA, maybe I should take a course this trip while in La Paz.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2019 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
There are guys with boats. The snorkel trip I went on said they need a 8-person minimum. There was a smaller, sleek boat, but still went to the same place all the boats went. If you want your own boat, you'll be paying a much higher price. SEMARNAT oversees where the boats can go. The SEMARNAT boat came around checking permits when I was there. I saw several sailboats anchored in the coves on the sheltered west side - and a few fishing boats too. Boats are all lined up at Tecolote, and the hawkers have communication with other boats in town. I don't know if the boats are restricted to a certain area - but the place where they all go is phenomenal - but quite a distance - at least an hour at a pretty fast clip. I don't know the particular restrictions, but likely a permit needed for pangas to go to certain areas, some areas probably restricted altogether. Probably a limited amount of time at the allowable spots. The inland area on the beach where everyone has lunch is roped off with signs - no trespassing. The islands are protected, so subject to regulations. A long ride in an open panga would be pretty rough. Any ride from Tecolote would be shorter than La Paz malecon. There is pretty decent snorkling at Los Arbolitos beach and south from there along the coast. Boats leave from Cabo Pulmo, but they came over to where I walked from Los Arbolitos to Playa Serenita.

I've gone out to the islands many times on my boat and on rented boats. You can go wherever you want.

Tons of bays. Easy to find one w/o other boats. Lots of beaches.

[Edited on 5-25-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2019 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mother of Dragons  

I love snorkeling and need to upgrade to scuba diving one day soon. I keep putting it off because I don’t want to learn here in CA, maybe I should take a course this trip while in La Paz.

why not learn in California? good instructors, great places to dive, if you are lucky the local community college or university might even offer it as a college course, if so, it will be much more involved. don't put it off - get after it, and get certified!
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2019 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

why not learn in California? good instructors, great places to dive, if you are lucky the local community college or university might even offer it as a college course, if so, it will be much more involved. don't put it off - get after it, and get certified!

I’d rather learn in clearer water is all. I could do the first part here and the second part somewhere else though. I do need to get after it. Thank you
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2019 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

I’d rather learn in clearer water is all. I could do the first part here and the second part somewhere else though. I do need to get after it. Thank you

most of the work is done (can be done, here in USA, more often than not) in swimming pools, just a couple of open water dives. My open water dives were lake Tahoe in December - Yikes, and the kelp forest off monterey - pretty cool places to dive!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.