BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Cilantro Haters, do you also not like wine?
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 05:52 PM

My Jalisco born wife sends me to the store for cilantro
and I usually bring home parsley
Who can tell??
She grows it in the back yard to try and keep it in stock
but I never figured out what, if anything, it adds to the taste
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 06:09 PM

one tastes like soap?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 06:10 PM

What is wrong with Cricket, if it works as good as others and saves us money? I am at a loss as to why you are focussed on that cell company.
Let's get back to cilantro favorite foods... Like fish tacos and beef tacos, too.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja_Traveler

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 08:13 PM

Cilantro is incredibly vile and bitter to me. I also cant handle red wine - the tannin's hit me right in the joint of my jaw. Don't know if the two are related due to my genetics, but I wouldn't be surprised. I don't like most alcohol it turns out - with the exception of top end tequila, Midori and Reisling wines...
tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 08:21 PM

I hated cilantro as a kid, thought it tasted like soap. After years of picking it out of salsa , somewhere along the line I changed my mind about it. Now I enjoy it.
This seems to run counter to the genetic explanation.
I also have been working on my hatred of licorice. Now I dont mind it nearly as much as I once did.
There is still room in all this for acquiring new tastes.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 09:07 PM

Another Cliff Claven moment:

LICORICE

Overview :

Licorice is an herb that is native to the Mediterranean, southern and central Russia, and Asia Minor to Iran. Many species are now grown throughout Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. Licorice contains glycyrrhizic acid, which can cause complications when eaten in large quantities. Many "licorice" products manufactured in the U.S. actually don't contain any licorice. Instead, they contain anise oil, which has the characteristic smell and taste of "black licorice."

Licorice is taken by mouth for various digestive system complaints including stomach ulcers, heartburn, colic, and ongoing inflammation of the lining of the stomach (chronic gastritis).

Some people take licorice by mouth for sore throat, bronchitis, cough, and infections caused by bacteria or viruses.

Licorice is also taken by mouth for Addison's disease, a type of diabetes caused by a hormone deficiency (diabetes insipidus), menopausal symptoms, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), liver disorders, malaria, tuberculosis, high potassium levels in the blood, food poisoning, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), a condition in which there is too much muscle tone (hypertonia), abscesses, recovery after surgery, rash, high cholesterol.

Licorice is sometimes taken by mouth along with the herbs Panax ginseng and Bupleurum falcatum to improve the function of the adrenal glands, especially in people who have taken steroid drugs long-term. Steroids tend to suppress the activity of the adrenal glands. The adrenal glands produce important hormones that regulate the body's response to stress.

Licorice is also taken by mouth in combination with peony to increase fertility in women with a hormonal disorder called polycystic ovary syndrome, to treat people with abnormal levels of a hormone prolactin, for muscle cramps, and to reduce cancer pain. In combination with other herbs, licorice is also used to treat prostate cancer and the skin disorder known as eczema. Licorice is also taken in combination with andrographis, Siberian ginseng, and schisandra to treat familial Mediterranean fever. This hereditary condition is characterized by recurrent and painful swelling in the chest, stomach, or joints. A formulation containing licorice root along with slippery elm bark, lactulose, and oat bran has been used for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

Some people use licorice as a shampoo to reduce oiliness in their hair. It is also applied as a gel for itchy, inflamed skin (eczema), as a solution to stop bleeding, as a patch in the mouth or as a gargle for canker sores, as a cream for psoriasis, weight loss, or a skin condition characterized by brown spots (melisma), as a gargle for recovery after surgery, and as a paste for dental plaque.

Licorice is used intravenously (by IV) to treat hepatitis B and C, as well as mouth sores (lichen planus) in people with hepatitis C.

Licorice is also used to flavor foods, beverages, and tobacco products.

Don't believe everything you think....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 10:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What is wrong with Cricket, if it works as good as others and saves us money? I am at a loss as to why you are focussed on that cell company.
Let's get back to cilantro favorite foods... Like fish tacos and beef tacos, too.

Jizz is obsessed with his phone. Have you seen a teenager that goes into withdrawal when separated from phone? That’s jizz.

P.s. I like licorice and cilantro; and fennel, anchovies, Brussel sprouts and broccoli

[Edited on 1-5-2019 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 05:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i know how to say "no cilantro" in a number of languages. very hard to avoid in some countries.

Why avoid? Embrace! I can´t imagine eating Thai or many other south east asian foods with out cilantro/coriander/bai phak chee:?:

This!

Making America Great Again
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 06:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Jizz is obsessed with his phone. Have you seen a teenager that goes into withdrawal when separated from phone? That’s jizz.

P.s. I like licorice and cilantro; and fennel, anchovies, Brussel sprouts and broccoli

Hell just froze over... I actually do have something in common with the goat... everything on his list!

[Edited on 1-5-2019 by mtgoat666]

[Edited on 1-5-2019 by paranewbi]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 07:36 AM

I always pick out all the licorice jelly beans and eat them first.

And then the watermelon ones.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 08:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
I always pick out all the licorice jelly beans and eat them first.

And then the watermelon ones.

Another winner!

Making America Great Again
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 10:08 AM

I can't imagine guacamole or fresh salsa without cilantro. Or ceviche. Or chile verde, or.....

For those of you disliking wine, thank you for saving more for me.
Shadowman

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 11:51 AM

Cilantro is good. Arugula is better!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 06:47 PM
Black is BEST !

Licorice, that is.

In Jelly Beans, anyway.

Cilantro ? Don't know. Never will. During the 50 years that I traveled in Mexico (mostly in Baja), I managed (sometimes with difficulty) to avoid eating Mexican cuisine, so I never (to my knowledge) ingested any Cilantro. From what I've read here, I suppose that I'd have known.

Mi Esposa likes all sorts of green stuff, spicy crap and strange dishes filled with onions and cheeses, so I asked her and she says it's OK, but didn't seem enthusiastic.

Food, Drink and Women. Everybody has different tastes and (fortunately) there is (usually) a great enough variety to satisfy us all.

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 07:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

… and Women. Everybody has different tastes and (fortunately) there is (usually) a great enough variety to satisfy us all.

BM:my memory is not what it once was, but I seem to remember jail bait was yours? Paulina will remember.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 07:06 PM

… and Women. Everybody has different tastes and (fortunately) there is (usually) a great enough variety to satisfy us all.

BM:my memory is not what it once was, but I seem to remember jail bait was yours? Paulina will remember.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 07:09 PM

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 07:16 PM
Ripe Pickings

Decades back, when paying for lawful(?) performing product in the TJ Ave Revolucion Adult Centers ..................

Fresh was the best.

And never a regret.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 07:21 PM

During the 50 years that I traveled in Mexico (mostly in Baja), I managed (sometimes with difficulty) to avoid eating Mexican cuisine....

.....:?:.....

What's with that?

Don't believe everything you think....
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 07:41 PM
Dietary Preferences

Since teen years, I haven't (when able to choose) eaten (among other ingredients) Cheeses or Onions.

Which is fairly limiting in Mexico.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.