Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: I’m in! Tecate.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 10:08 AM
I’m in! Tecate.

Just crossed at Tecate with my truck camper. Piece of cake. Very quick inspection even with the Rojo luz! FMM was easy to get. Found parking on the other side about 50 feet from the gate. $32 usd for the FMM.

Thanks to all the Nomads here for the advice and info. Too many people to list who helped me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 10:28 AM

Great to hear! Have a wonderful time... Stay dry, rain coming to So Cal tonight!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 10:51 AM

so you're the one that brought this weather:(

pleeeeeze don't let it rain in Anaheim tonight! :P
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
so you're the one that brought this weather:(

pleeeeeze don't let it rain in Anaheim tonight! :P

If it's a mud race I need to change my finishing order.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 04:02 PM

Yep...been raining off and on since leaving Tecate.

Tecates finest did try to shake me down for a traffic violation. He asked twice if I had a knife. Said I was gonna have to follow him to the station to pay it. He wanted drivers license, proof of insurance, registration for truck and camper. In the end he let me off with a warning. Friendly guy. I DID go straight from a right turn lane after he waved me on. Then pulled up to me and said follow him. All streets of Tecate are narrow.

Stopped by a military checkpoint between Ensenada and San Felipe. Opossum Negros I believe. Just looked around in the camper and sent me on my way.

Any good camping around San Felipe? Probably head to Puertecitos in the morning along the much feared Hwy 5!!
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 04:04 PM

Have fun!

Making America Great Again
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 04:36 PM

Ojos Negros...
Thanks for the police story!
Kind of late to get camping directions. I can't believe you are getting Internet!
What do you want in a campground? Too many choices.
I guess I will say Rancho Percebu, km. 20/21 south of San Felipe, great beach... Across from the north end of Shell Island.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 07:13 PM

I found Pete’s resort to stay the night. Thank you so much David K. You have been one of many to really help me out! It is much appreciated.

Really quiet here. Practically Right on the beach.

I’m paraphrasing another Nomad who said “I have no plan or itenerary and I plan to stick to it” That’s my plan. Didn’t realize Ensenada to SF would take as long as it did. Got here at dusk. I’m following the advice of many who have said “ don’t drive at night” Besides...you can’t see the scenery. I’m a little surprised at all of the roadside trash.

Using my Verizon powered phone to hotspot my tablet. Working well.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 07:20 PM

Yes Ojos Negros. Dang spell checker! Hit another military check point just before hwy 5. No big deal...they just poke around the camper a bit..opening a couple of drawers and then you are on your way.

I’m going to make Puercetios my goal for tomorrow. Think I saw a sign that said 95 km in the roundabout in SF.

Tecate crossing is so easy. I staged at the Potrero campground last night about 2 miles from Tecate. Got through the border nice and early.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 07:40 PM

I did a search on Puercetios here and did not find much. M map says there is a hot springs there. Going to check it out and report back. I saw a point on the map that said valley of the giant cordon cactus close to San Felipe. I think the need to see that. WX forecast is looking good for tomorrow too. Rain has stopped in SF!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 07:53 PM

Sounds like a great start. How are the desert wildflowers? I was down there a few weeks ago and thought they might be ready to go off between San Felipe and Puertecitos. But quien sabe?
Be careful of the washout about km 100. Steep and silt but doable!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 08:32 PM

The boojum (?) trees are beginning to flower. Have seen mass carpets of something purple here and there. And lots of sunflower looking flowers to be seen. The desert is green.

Absolutely amazed at the number of wineries between Tecate and Ensenada! Dozens of em! If wine is your thing. Saw a huge agave farm too. very interesting to see....future tequila!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 08:36 PM

Short drive from SF to Puercetios even with the road in bad shape! Flowers were amazing last week, best I've seen in a while. If you decide to travel farther you might look at Gonzaga bay, cheep spots on the bay owned by Rancho Grande store across the street.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 09:29 PM

Good. Have had a couple of long road trips from southern Oregon to SF. Hoping that Puertecitos is worth staying a night or 2. Gonzaga Bay huh? I’ll give it a shot! My map says Bahia San Luis Gonzaga.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 09:35 PM

ADV.....you have been to Puertecitos then?

What can you tell me?

Once again thank you to all the Baja vets from here. You guys are like scouts/forward observers/recon to me. The info you have is invaluable and I appreciate the sharing of it!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 09:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ReTire  
ADV.....you have been to Puertecitos then?

What can you tell me?

Once again thank you to all the Baja vets from here. You guys are like scouts/forward observers/recon to me. The info you have is invaluable and I appreciate the sharing of it!

just do it. stop asking questions on the internet, ask people you meet in the road.
my first trip there were no guides, or we did not know such things existed. i think we had a 5-page surf guide that showed diddly, just vague verbal directions to breaks and a useless map.
we survived w/o internet mamas to guide our way!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 10:19 PM

Retire, it is 52 miles to Puertecitos, it is 2 miles off on a paved and dirt side road. The hot springs are in the tidal zone and only can be used if mixed with sea water to cool the hot sulfur water. They charge 200 pesos just to get near them or to camp on the cove in little palapas. The hot springs are out on the point to the left before the boat ramp.

Gonzaga Bay (Bahia San Luis Gonzaga) is 45 miles from Puertecitos and is worthy of driving the mile east from the highway to see. Rancho Grande beach would be the easiest to have a look, second road past the gas station.

There are no boojum trees until you are at least 20 miles south of the Gonzaga Pemex station. You must be looking at ocotillos? Boojums are much fatter and taller, a lot taller... One trunk and often branches and creates odd characters!

See my Trip #1 report and my Trip #8 report for details on this part of Baja.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 10:32 PM

Not sure the hot springs are worth stooping for or camping at? I would make it a nice slow drive to Gonzaga or papa's Fernandez's place for a night or two. Davidk's trip reports have some good info in them...
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 06:51 AM

Thanks you guys. The trees I saw in partial bloom where covered in hard thorns! Impossible to grab..

I have an addendum to my Tecate cop story I forgot to mention-Just before leaving I picked up a cheap dash cam at grocery outlet, $12.00.
The officer did ask me about it and if it was on. I told him it was on all of the time, that it had a huge memory. Maybe an influence on me getting a warning only?
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 06:56 AM

Dont panic if pemex in puertocitas is closed. Only seen it open once. The pemex in Gonzaga has been open lately.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.