Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: I’m in! Tecate.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 09:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ReTire  
Made it to what my phone says is Nueva Odisea. South of San Quintin. Can’t find Nueva Odisea on a map. Pabellons(?) RV camp

Yes, it's on a map but what you want there is either of the two RV beach parks or the famous restaurant Parcela 12.

KM. 15 Gas Station
KM. 16 El Pabellon RV Park to the west and Parcela 12 on the east side of the highway just south of the RV driveway.
KM. 16.5 Fidel's El Pabellon RV Park

At KM. 0 is where the pavement widens to normal... 196 kms. from Ensenada.

[Edited on 1-18-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 09:57 PM

I am going to download your maps David. So much info on them. Thank you so much...I’m sure they have helped many people.

On a side note the lobster fishermen told me that the surf was going to be really big tomorrow!
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 11:51 PM

The surf is definitely picking up. Enough moonlight to see and it is becoming louder and louder!

No wind here either.
Suntan

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 11:06 AM

Yep...been raining off and on since leaving Tecate.

Tecates finest did try to shake me down for a traffic violation. He asked twice if I had a knife. Said I was gonna have to follow him to the station to pay it. He wanted drivers license, proof of insurance, registration for truck and camper. In the end he let me off with a warning. Friendly guy. I DID go straight from a right turn lane after he waved me on. Then pulled up to me and said follow him. All streets of Tecate are narrow.

Stopped by a military checkpoint between Ensenada and San Felipe. Opossum Negros I believe. Just looked around in the camper and sent me on my way.

Any good camping around San Felipe? Probably head to Puertecitos in the morning along the much feared Hwy 5!!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 11:25 AM

MMc....I did as a matter of fact go to Santa Rosalita. Paved road,power lines along it. My dog and I actually spent a couple of hours there. Nice playa, a few surfers present. We were getting ready to leave when I noticed a guy rolling out those panga Dolly’s into the surf. Panga shows up..they get it loaded..and haul it up to the beach. I’m watching the entire process fascinated. I walk over to the boat to see what they have and it’s Lobsters! Lobsters! Lobsters! Looked to be at least a hundred of them!

I asked them if they sell them in town someplace and he said NO! That they are going to Ensenada. All the lobster they catch goes there. After they loaded their catch into the pickup..I noticed one sorta hidden by a tarp still in the boat. I told them about it. He grabbed it and offered it to me. It had its antennae chewed off by a fish and not suitable for market I guess. Tried to pay him for it but he absolutely refused!! And I honestly tried hard. Free lobster in Baja!

Very nice. Those guys are very serious about lobster. They have spotters watching for poachers.
Suntan

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 11:39 AM

I was sorry to learn the Tecate Police are still shaking tourists down. My wife and I camped at Daggetts Campground for many years. It seemed almost all new arrivals at the Campground had experienced dirty cops when crossing at Tecate. It is especially bad for first-timers who are nervous about Mexico to have this Border experience to remember. I hope the rest of this gentleman's visit is not tarnished by this event. As we all know Baja is full of fantastic discoveries and experiences.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 08:47 PM

Suntan....did you catch my additional post about how the dashcam probably deterred the cop?

The Tecate and the San Ignacio military CP incident will not define my 1st Baja trip! Combined they were 30 minutes total on a (so far) 2 week trip. Everything else has been positive.

Did I mention that I got a free lobster in Baja?

My biggest concern is running out of sunscreen!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 08:58 PM

Retread----- I mean ReTire--- sorry!!
Hey what a great report. Nice to see thru the eyes of a new guy going for the Baja magic!! Keep on trucking and reporting!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 09:12 PM

It’s pretty nice here in Nueva Odisea. (El Pabellon) The surf was up today. I would guess an occasonal 6 to 7 foot wave. Maybe more. Breaking off shore a bit so not able to fish. And I can’t seem to find any clams either.

Staying a 2nd night. That moon sure is bright.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 06:12 AM

It’s pretty nice here in Nueva Odisea. (El Pabellon) The surf was up today. I would guess an occasonal 6 to 7 foot wave. Maybe more. Breaking off shore a bit so not able to fish. And I can’t seem to find any clams either.

Staying a 2nd night. That moon sure is bright.

To find clams walk out into about 4" of water. Dig down with your toes. You will find some.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 07:22 AM

I’ll try that eHall.

The panga fleet is launching this morning. They are getting a pretty good ride to get past the breakers!
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 07:54 AM

Think I missed the low tide! The ocean water is encompassing the trucks that brought the panga fleet now.

I know the moon is getting close to full. Gonna try to consult a tide chart.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 08:58 AM

Try this link for San Felipe tides.

http://sanfelipe.com.mx/weather/tide-calendars/
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 09:07 AM

Very entertaining, see old spots in Baja through the eyes of a first timer. Keep it up.

Ignore the clueless naysayers. They are just that, and no more.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Try this link for San Felipe tides.

http://sanfelipe.com.mx/weather/tide-calendars/

He is at San Quintin on the Pacific Ocean.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 08:55 AM

Clams! Clams! Clams!

So yesterday I took ehalls advice for finding clams. I found a couple but they were small 50 cent size...figure I’d leave them to get bigger.

Well this morning along the beach in the foam zone I found 27 of them!! Yes 27!! Most of them good size.

Wish I could post a pic. Now what? I would love a tip on how to prepare them
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 08:58 AM

I actually could not carry anymore! They were partially exposed this morning, making finding them child’s play!
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 09:08 AM

I’m going back! Too easy too easy!

Wait.....is there a Mexican limit?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 09:34 AM

LOL... well, sadly...
Americans are not allowed to take shellfish. This is restricted to Mexican nationals. I will tell you locals invite you to go clamming, for personal consumption. I remember the clam chowder Debra (aka 'travelpearl') made (with bacon) that was so good!

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 10:08 AM

I take the clams and put them in a bucket of fresh ocean water. every three or four hours I rinse out the prior water and fill it back up with ocean water. Sometimes I leave them overnight just to make sure they have purged themselves of their waste.

Then just throw them in a pot with an inch of water and steam 'em until the bulk of them open. I don't eat the ones that don't open.

If their large (not butter clams...less than 2 in.) I separate the edible from the guts...but some don't.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.