Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Malarrimo Beach
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 03:20 PM
Malarrimo Beach

Any recent accounts of approaches to Malarrimo beaches? I am aware of "getting stuck" nomad stories but all several years old (from my search), but no particulars about best exits from paved highway.

No GPS tracks please (can't load them here)....but co-ords may be helpful....but I like the map thing....

Will be camping in the general area in a week or so north of Tortugas...

Gracias.

Don't believe everything you think....
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 04:06 PM

Where is this?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 04:29 PM

Ged, I described all the exits to both Malarrimo Beach and Malarrimo fish camp in my Trip #5 report. I even drove a short distance in on the traditional road to confirm it. I am on my phone away from home but can get you all the data posted here, as you wish.

JZ, seriously? Perhaps the most famous beach in Baja written about for the past 60 some years!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 04:42 PM

Gracias, David,
A link to your report will suffice....have been GE'ing it so have a sense of what's what....will ride from where we will camp below Punta Eugenia...so biking will take me anywhere....but no beach riding.....can handle silt (DT Bushpilot will soon ask for pics of surgery staples....he can't get enough of that :biggrin: ).....but not quicksand....

I realize there are countless entry points overland, but have to chose which ones are likely best....

It's a long beach....:coolup:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 04:49 PM

I was last out there in Jan. of 2015. Here is the trip report I did. WE started out wanting to do the No Wimp Trail but a hurricane had destroyed it. It is well worth the effort to see it.

The trip report.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=77391
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 04:52 PM

Alphonses at the beach serves a killah potine!

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 05:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I was last out there in Jan. of 2015. Here is the trip report I did. WE started out wanting to do the No Wimp Trail but a hurricane had destroyed it. It is well worth the effort to see it.

The trip report.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=77391

Tom,
Killer trip report !

Thanks

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 05:38 PM

Thanks ged.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 08:25 PM

I was out there with our Moto group a few days ago and we camped at a few spots. What’s do you wanna to know? Lots of sand, deep sand, it was cold and windy, but clear and perfect riding conditions, Gas athe Pemex at Tortugas, Asuncion and Abreojos. Goat tacos at the local market taco stand in Tortugas ... lots of exploring and riding almost anywhere you wanna go. The trail to Malarrimo can be tough to figure out if you’ve never been but it’s on all the maps, just know the abandoned ranch is only a slab and much of the wood has been picked through. Their is still ranch debris where it once stood and is just off the pavement by 50-60 yards.

Fantastic camp spots along the beaches and bluffs south of Asuncion with easy access ...

We saw no one else ...

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 01:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Gracias, David,
A link to your report will suffice....have been GE'ing it so have a sense of what's what....will ride from where we will camp below Punta Eugenia...so biking will take me anywhere....but no beach riding.....can handle silt (DT Bushpilot will soon ask for pics of surgery staples....he can't get enough of that :biggrin: ).....but not quicksand....

I realize there are countless entry points overland, but have to chose which ones are likely best....

All my research trips of 2017-2018 are in the Nomad Trip Reports forum and simply titled TRIP #1-#8 for simplicity.
Here is Trip #5 (June 2017): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86781

Some of the photos showing the Malarrimo Road:

Malarrimo road where it leaves the highway. Abandoned ranch site is the cleared area. Km. 117

The Malarrimo road, just north of the abandoned ranch and highway junction.

Vegetation is soon overgrowing onto the road.

It is clear this side trip requires a full day devotion and time to explore the beach, 26 miles away. I turn around a mile from the highway and continue on to Bahía Asunción.

The Pipeline road to access Malarrimo is at Km. 83.

The little curb along the highway has been busted up to allow access onto or off of the pipeline road. A second access is just west.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 11:13 AM

The storms wiped out the access from the black doom aka pavement to the dirt, so now their is a very slight trail, hard to see, not as pronounced as DK's photos in the past. Lotta water and deep gullies to get across ...

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Gracias, David,

All my research trips of 2017-2018 are in the Nomad Trip Reports forum and simply titled TRIP #1-#8 for simplicity.
Here is Trip #5 (June 2017): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86781

Some of the photos showing the Malarrimo Road:

Malarrimo road where it leaves the highway. Abandoned ranch site is the cleared area. Km. 117

The Malarrimo road, just north of the abandoned ranch and highway junction.

Vegetation is soon overgrowing onto the road.

It is clear this side trip requires a full day devotion and time to explore the beach, 26 miles away. I turn around a mile from the highway and continue on to Bahía Asunción.

The Pipeline road to access Malarrimo is at Km. 83.

The little curb along the highway has been busted up to allow access onto or off of the pipeline road. A second access is just west.

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2019 at 08:05 PM

Thanks, folks....

geronimo21
Junior Nomad

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 01:30 AM

Ged, slightly OT (but in the general vicinity...), did you ever do the trip from Santa Rosalillita? Did I miss the trip report?
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 07:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geronimo21  
Ged, slightly OT (but in the general vicinity...), did you ever do the trip from Santa Rosalillita? Did I miss the trip report?

Here is a quick report.
awesome camp spot with only 1 other person there.
Rode dirt bikes
drank beer
caught fish.
ate a lot of chokis and chips ahoy
had a great time.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 01:42 PM

Ed was there....and reported accurately :coolup:

Good weather until rain last of three days on the coast....Ed and I scoured evry :smug:rail we could find from the road to beaches/camps all along Seven Sisters from south end between KM 27 and 30 km's northwards from there..... we had the best campsite of all....but Ed and I are sworn to kill the other if we divulged which beach camping was best.... so go find your own....:biggrin:

Shore fishing was all-day Corvina and clams....

Too bad the other wannabee's didn't make the trip....it was a good one for riding and fishing....

Going up camping north of Bahia Tortugas this week....for fishing and motoing....

geronimo21
Junior Nomad

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 03:10 AM

Ed was there....and reported accurately :coolup:

Good weather until rain last of three days on the coast....Ed and I scoured evry :smug:rail we could find from the road to beaches/camps all along Seven Sisters from south end between KM 27 and 30 km's northwards from there..... we had the best campsite of all....but Ed and I are sworn to kill the other if we divulged which beach camping was best.... so go find your own....:biggrin:

Shore fishing was all-day Corvina and clams....

Too bad the other wannabee's didn't make the trip....it was a good one for riding and fishing....

Going up camping north of Bahia Tortugas this week....for fishing and motoing....

Ed and Ged, Sounds like an epic trip. Thanks for the report!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 11:38 AM

We camped on the bluff around Punta Falsa for a couple days.
Lots of kelp, so hard to fish
Spectacular views of Cedros and the sea.
There is a lobster breeding and research station there.
Talk nice and you might get a guided tour like we did.
The security patrol guy will check on your camp (looking for poachers I understand) but we just gave him a hot wrap off the grill and a cold coke and he was happy to keep an eye on our camp.
No problemo
Not much in the way of eating in Tortugas, so be prepared to not have a hearty meal in that town.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.