Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Electric Vehicle charging arrives in Baja
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 11:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
With four rotating tires as generators, why is there no tech on the cars recharging themselves when driven?

Regenerative brake

Regenerative braking is an energy recovery mechanism which slows a vehicle or object by converting its kinetic energy into a form which can be either used immediately or stored until needed. In this mechanism the electric motor uses the vehicle's momentum to recover energy that would be otherwise lost to the brake discs as heat. This contrasts with conventional braking systems, where the excess kinetic energy is converted to unwanted and wasted heat by friction in the brakes, or with dynamic brakes, where energy is recovered by using electric motors as generators but is immediately dissipated as heat in resistors. In addition to improving the overall efficiency of the vehicle, regeneration can greatly extend the life of the braking system as its parts do not wear as quickly.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
With four rotating tires as generators, why is there no tech on the cars recharging themselves when driven?

The Holy Grail of Physics, a perpetual motion machine.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 11:51 AM

That's what I was thinking!
Seriously, even if just 50% effective, you still aren't stuck with a dead battery at the end of 200 miles or whatever a Tesla range is. Another 100 miles will get you to Guerrero Negro, lol!

Jim, yes, I have read of the brake charge system.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 01:49 PM

What I want is a battery powered generator! :P

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
What I want is a battery powered generator! :P

Solar!

Making America Great Again
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 04:38 PM

My daughter and friend showed up last week in a Tesla 3, heading for Mammoth.
I got a few minutes behind the wheel....
YOweeZoweee.....never felt anything like that acceleration and I have driven race cars and fast cars all my life.
Also, it sort of 'self drove' down the highway for a lot of miles without any drifting.
Now the bad new..... they had to stop in Sonora and Groveland to make it over to Hiway 395.
It really did not like that 10,000 foot elevation gain, coming home it was no problem for re-juicing the thing.
Not exactly a "Baja cruiser" at this point,
Especially where the power comes from generators.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 06:06 PM

Electric cars are fine for the 100-200 miles distances they can travel. It is a step in eliminating fossil fuel vehicles but I think the future will be with hydrogen power.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-14-2019 at 04:55 PM

I shared the map at the top of the thread with my daughter, the Tesla informed member of the family.
She smiled and said, "Dad, all of those green markers are not supercharger stations. Best case they charge at 50 miles per hour of charge time, so plan to spend the night at each charging spot."
Apparently there are no superchargers yet built in Baja, although some on the mainland are on line. (Note the orange markers)
Maybe this is for the best, if you are a Baja lover,
cuz it will take you 10 days to go to the tip and back.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2019 at 05:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Electric cars are fine for the 100-200 miles distances they can travel. It is a step in eliminating fossil fuel vehicles but I think the future will be with hydrogen power.

Agreed. I am however seeing more charging stations on the Central Coast.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2019 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
I got a few minutes behind the wheel....
YOweeZoweee.....never felt anything like that acceleration and I have driven race cars and fast cars all my life.

2017 Tesla Model S P100D First Test: A New Record -- 0-60 MPH in 2.28 Seconds!

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-15-2019 at 12:12 PM

i'd like to actually see a pic of one of these "charging stations" in baja

maybe a long extension cord from the building?

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2019 at 12:15 PM

Do all electric cars use the same electrical plug?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2019 at 10:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
i'd like to actually see a pic of one of these "charging stations" in baja

maybe a long extension cord from the building?

==== =
They look like the ones in the states. A pedestal where the car parks. Not close to the building. The source cable is underground to the pedestal. The one I saw at a resort had 3 pedestals one Tesla and two SAE.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2019 at 11:00 AM

Here is an electric car charging guide. A lot of good info.
https://chargehub.com/en/electric-car-charging-guide.html
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2019 at 02:34 PM

somebody needs to be the first to drive the whole length of Baja on battery power! It would be their claim to fame, probably end up on their tombstone, almost certainly in their obituary!
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2019 at 06:12 PM

And now Ford has announced that they'll be making both a hybrid and an all-electric version of the F150. Amazing what a little marketing from the competition will do. https://electrek.co/2019/01/16/ford-all-electric-f150-pickup...

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-16-2019 at 06:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
And now Ford has announced that they'll be making both a hybrid and an all-electric version of the F150. Amazing what a little marketing from the competition will do. https://electrek.co/2019/01/16/ford-all-electric-f150-pickup...

Marketing did not change their mind. The future is now. The world is going electric!

My house is net exporter of solar elec, i have enough “free” juice to fuel a car, my next car will be electric.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2019 at 06:53 PM

Good deal. Out of curiosity, what wattage and how many solar panels do you have for your home? I think solar is the way to go.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by DanO  

Marketing did not change their mind. The future is now. The world is going electric!

My house is net exporter of solar elec, i have enough “free” juice to fuel a car, my next car will be electric.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
somebody needs to be the first to drive the whole length of Baja on battery power! It would be their claim to fame, probably end up on their tombstone, almost certainly in their obituary!

They will need to bring a trailer with plenty of back up batteries!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 08:54 AM

Did you know that Tesla sells a gasoline powered generator as an option? It fits in the trunk and has outside intake and outside exhaust. It is low powered and just meant to get to the next charging station.
No superchargers that I know of in Baja, so that means a layover when charging is required.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.