Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Telcel Prepaid
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 09:52 PM
Telcel Prepaid

My wife and I are getting ready to head back to Baja in our RV this week. We got our FMMs already so figured we would walk across the border to Tecate for some pesos and cell service today. I had read about Telcel Amigo Sin Límite which includes unlimited talk/texting and social media apps (Baja Nomad not included).

The sim card was 149 pesos at Oxxo but couldn't quite communicate that we wanted to purchase time/data so we ended up walking over to a Telcel store at the mall and were able to get it set up with 28 days of service and 2 gigs of data for 150 pesos. Pretty good deal.

We walked over to the Tecate Brewery where the guard said he was sorry they weren't giving tours but we would like a free beer? Had some good tacos at Tacos del Amigos.

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 09:54 PM

Details on the plan -
https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/todavia-no-t...

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 10:13 PM

I think that's a great deal. And that included the sim card as well?

I'm not much on those free apps EXCEPT What's App. I find that to be a good app to use for texting or VOIP calling when all you have is internet or you want to limit your data use. Also useful in countries where calling and text arent free. I use it liberally in Europe; so many people over there do, too.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 06:38 AM

IIRC, you can check on and add to your SIM card from the Telcel website. At least it worked before, and I'm counting on it to work again when I visit next month. :cool:

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I think that's a great deal. And that included the sim card as well?

I'm not much on those free apps EXCEPT What's App. I find that to be a good app to use for texting or VOIP calling when all you have is internet or you want to limit your data use. Also useful in countries where calling and text arent free. I use it liberally in Europe; so many people over there do, too.

$149 for the sim and then you add the Recarga amount. Includes unlimited calling and texting in Mexico to the US and Canada. My wife has Verizon unlimited which works well in Baja roaming on Telcel with 500mb daily data.

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 10:37 AM

Sorry for the slight Hi-Jack

Does anyone know if there is just a basic phone plan that does not have any data, calling to the US, just basic service within Mexico. I have gone into the Telcel offices and my Spanglish either does not communicate that question or they do not offer a plan for that.
I pay for the 30 day plan that is on their website and have to go in every 30 days to pay again and not use any features other than incoming and outgoing calls within Baja.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 11:13 AM

Pay on the web. Create an account at "mitelcel.com then pay with your CC.
Otherwise any OXXO will do it for you - same price either way.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  

Does anyone know if there is just a basic phone plan that does not have any data, calling to the US, just basic service within Mexico.

There is no such plan on their website. All prepaid plans include some data. Don't use the data, 150 MXN for 28 days is cheap anyway. To save a few bucks, you may choose not to recharge immediately after 28 days - you'll still receive calls (for 1 month or so, don't remember) - just won't be a able to initiate a call.

What I don't understand is the line under that table: Segundos indistintos $0.75 por minuto.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by Howard  

Does anyone know if there is just a basic phone plan that does not have any data, calling to the US, just basic service within Mexico.

There is no such plan on their website. All prepaid plans include some data. Don't use the data, 150 MXN for 28 days is cheap anyway. To save a few bucks, you may choose not to recharge immediately after 28 days - you'll still receive calls (for 1 month or so, don't remember) - just won't be a able to initiate a call.

What I don't understand is the line under that table: Segundos indistintos $0.75 por minuto.

I think those are roaming charges when you are in the US. When we crossed back into San Diego it connected to Tmobile.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 03:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Three2tango  

I think those are roaming charges when you are in the US.

I doubt. It says Segundo indistinto a México, E.U.A y Canadá.

Probably has something to do with Tarifas bajo demanda - when your balance expired and you reload only 10 pesos. They charge per second then.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 04:52 PM

We used our phone in the US. No roaming. Free calling anywhere. Never could figger out data. It always seemed to disappear the first day of the plan. I'm sure something is funky in our settings.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 08:27 AM

We have been on this plan for quite a while and it is awesome! You cannot beat that price! So easy to call Mexico from the States over this past xmas holiday.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 08:48 AM

We just recharged our Telcel phones and here is the result
Her 100 peso = 17 days
Me 150 peso = 28 days
I guess there are other options I did not make notes.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 08:50 AM

When Les recharges, he asks for the PAQUETE or package deal which is the 28 day one.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 10:22 AM

Ding and others offer pay as you go in 5 dollar increments, free usa y canada calls. Local calls are free up to 3 minutes. Whatsapp, facebook etc included. It rolls over if you purchase additional time with in 30 days.
https://www.ding.com/topup?countryIso=MX
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 08:01 AM

i had the unlimited prepay from telcel. us,canada and mexico. it worked well. i had to quit it due to being unable to pay with a credit card online.form the US. it appeared as a fraudulent charge, and turned out to be a giant PIA.
i now use at&t

prepay. as stated in another thread, calling a US number while in mexico works about 30% of the time. an incoming call from us "works" about the same. calling mex numbers is no prob.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
We just recharged our Telcel phones and here is the result
Her 100 peso = 17 days
Me 150 peso = 28 days
I guess there are other options I did not make notes.

Couldn't be any other way. 100 pesos - 17 days, 150 - 28 days. All options are listed on telcel page linked in post #2.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.