BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Border crossing
Karen Saucier

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 12:13 PM

Hello again, so I'm not sure how or if possible to reply to an individual on this site, but the 100 miles of dirt road was in regard to another persons post in a suggestion to drive a route lower down the baja from Bahia de Los Angeles to el arco and back to route 1! We may try the "upper" section from Puertecitos south to route 1 if as many drive it as I've read here and seeing as how it's only 23 miles.I have no real interest in Ensenada, just thought I had to go that way, more interested in heading south!!! The FMM card sure gets a lot of discussion and I too was worried if I don't turn it in at end would we have problems or fines to pay at re-entry at a later date. But the hassle of finding an office while heading north is well noted. Still looking for opinions on Mexicali crossing vs, San Luis. Not only ease of crossing but how about getting onto route 5 south from either? A good description was written by Kaslo Kid and thank you, leaning that way.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Three2tango  
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Saucier  
Thanks for great info. 100miles on dirt may be more than we can handle. 40 in Escalante, Utah nearly did us in at 5mph last spring, but will see. Mexicali seems so big, wouldn't Yuma/San Luis be a bit easier for newbies? Thanks.

If you do opt for Highway 5 it won't be 100 miles of dirt road, sounds more like 30 or so with the detours? This Facebook group has some updates - https://www.facebook.com/groups/BajaRoads/

Pick up a copy of The Camping Baja guide for good descriptions of the border crossings. https://amzn.to/2FmgQFK

The 100 miles of dirt was going south out of Bahia de Los Angeles thru El Arco in my description of a route above.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  
Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  
Quote: Originally posted by tobias  
If you are new to RVing , I would camp out in Joshua Tree and Anza Borrego until you get your systems in order. There is a bit of a learning curve and everyone does it a bit differently. Nice to be in range of cheap goods from amazon while you figure things out.

May want to check and make sure Joshua Tree is open.

I think it's now called Joshua Trash.

John

Just saw this.

https://www.vcstar.com/story/news/2019/01/08/joshua-tree-nat...

As an avid backcountry hiker/backpacker, this kind of behavior makes me very sad. How can people treat the natural beauty here in the US with such little regard. Another reason to despise Trump and his base.

John

As an avid outdoors man myself, I feel your pain. Very sad situation.

Making America Great Again
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 12:36 PM

... heading to the San Felipe area to get acclimated then cross over to Ensenada and head further south on highway 1.

Why would anybody want to go to Ensenada through San Felipe, is beyond me. Or why would anybody be interested in the actual city of Ensenada at all ;)...

You'll be getting from SF back to Hwy 1 via unfinished Hwy 5. Slow, doable, not comfortable. Absolutely no driving in night time, - anywhere, especially this stretch.

Road conditions on Hwy 1 to the South of Hwy 5 junction can be bad - many potholes, don't know if they fixed it, but at least it's a paved road. Hwy 5 is not. And you'll get some potholes on Hwy 1 to the North of Hwy 5 junction, when backtracking to Ensenada.

No, reservations are not needed in most places in Baja. In some places staying in a cheap hotel will be quieter, more comfortable, safer (minor theft) and even cheaper than on RV camp. Ensenada is one such place. $25-30 hotels, however, like using bait and switch trick when you're suddenly charged $50 because it's a weekend.

There is no free land. You may camp on the beach that looks like "wilderness" and the owner will come to collect. Though I would not camp in such a place if you don't see other campers around.

Bring a couple of 5-gallon water jars and manual pump that you screw on top. You can refill it in grocery stores and standalone places where it says "Garafones".

Truck camper is not my cap of tea, but with any RV you should expect many deficiencies straight from the lot. Not to mention user's errors and unfamiliar equipment. You might want to reconsider your itinerary completely - crossing in Mexicali or Otay, taking a good quality toll highway to Ensenada, and staying on some camp with hookups in Ensenada-Rosarito area.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 12:44 PM

Hello again, so I'm not sure how or if possible to reply to an individual on this site, but the 100 miles of dirt road was in regard to another persons post in a suggestion to drive a route lower down the baja from Bahia de Los Angeles to el arco and back to route 1! We may try the "upper" section from Puertecitos south to route 1 if as many drive it as I've read here and seeing as how it's only 23 miles.I have no real interest in Ensenada, just thought I had to go that way, more interested in heading south!!! The FMM card sure gets a lot of discussion and I too was worried if I don't turn it in at end would we have problems or fines to pay at re-entry at a later date. But the hassle of finding an office while heading north is well noted. Still looking for opinions on Mexicali crossing vs, San Luis. Not only ease of crossing but how about getting onto route 5 south from either? A good description was written by Kaslo Kid and thank you, leaning that way.

OK understand the 100 miles part.

The connection to Highway 5 is pretty easy from Mexicali East. We are 56 feet in length towing our Jeep. Here's a good description of the reverse direction http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/driving-directions/mexicali-e...

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 12:45 PM

Still looking for opinions on Mexicali crossing vs, San Luis. Not only ease of crossing but how about getting onto route 5 south from either? A good description was written by Kaslo Kid and thank you, leaning that way.

West bound I-8.
Get off at Araby Road, on the eastern edge of Yuma.
Go to the left (south)
Araby Road turns into state highway 195.
Stay on 195....about 30 minutes drive.
Follow the signs to the border crossing at San Luis Rio Colorado.

Once passed the border gate, make the FIRST right turn. That puts you right on MX 2 westbound.
Stay on MX 2D west bound.
Take the offramp to MX 5 northbound. Approx 45 miles from the border crossing at San Luis.
Do a U turn at the first available left turn slot.
There is no off ramp to southbound MX 5.
Now you will be on MX 5 S/B towards San Felipe.

Let Google map it for you......

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 01:06 PM

Might as well backtrack from San Felipe to Mexicali the same way you came. You will not miss anything by not traveling through unfinished Hwy 5 South of San Felipe, and you will not miss much by not traveling North through Ensenada.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 01:50 PM

Karen Saucier, check your U2U, top right of the page, next to log out.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 04:37 PM

Karen,

If you've never been to Mexico or Baja, you may not be aware of this. A lot of restrooms have a trash can for toilet paper. No toilet paper in the toilet. Most septic systems will want to avoid a buildup of tp, so the organic matter can decompose. Also, they use smaller pipes a lot of places that won't carry the "load" of American systems. Just a "heads" up in case you did not know.:cool:

John
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
So, it's all conservatives treating the parks with little regard? You are a special kind of stupid, aren't you?

I did not state that conservatives are trashing the parks, but allowing them to go unprotected is all on the Republican Party and their leader.

Who is it that pronounced "he" would be proud to own the shutdown?

No need to resort to personal insults. I assume you are an adult? Behave like one. When you get personal, you lose all credibility (and look like an ass). But, you should know that by now.

John

[Edited on 1-9-2019 by John Harper]

Sadly, the Gov opened parts of Joshua Tree, but they are not policing. Now some of the people coming to Joshua Tree, are cutting down the trees.

The off-roaders, are getting the blame.

We should ask Mr Bill, what's going on over at Joshua Tree, because it's in his backyard seeing he lives in Yucca Valley.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/us/j...

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 07:02 PM
People are PIGS

IF they're not policed, they are quick to prove it. Their graffiti, filth and destruction should be subject to Summary Capital Punishment.

When I first read that they were going to leave the park open without ranger patrols, we knew exactly what would result. And, it did.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 09:22 PM

Not cool guys, to highjack a thread....
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.