Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Safety driving from boarder
Snowbird

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 11:19 PM
Safety driving from boarder

Hey all,
So I have traveled down the peninsula 5 times or so but it was 10-12 years ago. I have a wife and 2 year old as well as 2 large dogs. I have never been one to read into our news too much but with a family I am a bit more nervous. We are looking to cross at Mexicali and head south. I’ve read some unfortunate reports of tourist who live down south for the winters, having been dealt some violent attacks. Bahia de los angelas to name one. We are traveling in a sprinter so not the small under the radar Tacoma I had in past visits. Really appreciate the feedback and travel experiences.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 03:52 AM

Boarders usually don't bother you unless you reveal the secret spots.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 06:09 AM

Be aware and use common sense as you would any where and you should be fine.

Making America Great Again
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 07:32 AM

there is nothing easier to market than fear.
folks just love it.
it's a biological thing.
employ some situational awareness and have fun. cheers.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 07:58 AM

Get your insurance from Bajabound before you go https://www.bajabound.com/

Stop at the border and get your FMM.......passports or passport cards needed

Have fun
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 08:47 AM

Be more afraid driving through the United States than driving across the border into Mexico!

The only difference from 10 years ago is that there is no longer a 'Border Zone' where no tourist card is needed for 3 days. All now must get the FMM tourist card, at the border. Mexicali is easy, park by the first building and bring your passports in with you.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Boarders usually don't bother you unless you reveal the secret spots.

I have a harder time evicting them.

John
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 09:33 AM

If you ask me, I will say your travels to Mexico will be pretty much the same as the last time you were here 10 to 12 years ago, especially since back in 2008 to 2011 were some of the most bloodiest years of cartel violence, before the homicides dropped following that period, but now once again Mexico is having record years of homicides these last few years, especially in Baja.

I bet you didn't notice any kind of dangers last time you were in Mexico, and you won't notice anything unusual now unless you're in the drug trade or have another kind of vice.

The very few Americans who died in Mexico, were more often than not ex-pats and some of those Americans, contributed to their own demise by doing dumb things, for example not turning over their purse or wallet to a robber with a gun, confronting a thief trying to take their boat, or one of my favorites was when an American lady landlord tried to evict a tenant and kick them out for late rent, and tenant said no with a gun, and then shot the landlord. (it probably was not a lawful eviction)

If you have a Mexican gay lover, for some reason or another it often contributes to higher number of homicides to American ex-pats and tourists.

You also have Americans, dying from car accidents, drownings, and suicides, added to the mix to deaths in Mexico, when really it could have happened anywhere.

Other than that you should be OK, however to be fair, I will also present the other side , the alarmist side if nobody else does it later.

[Edited on 1-10-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 11:51 AM

The inquiry is too general. Tell your destination(s), people will suggest routes and hotels. Don't travel in the night.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 12:06 PM

We're not dead yet. So I guess it is possible to survive.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

contributed to their own demise by doing dumb things, for example not turning over their purse or wallet to a robber with a gun

That is one thing I always pass along if asked. Not that I've been in that situation nor talked to anyone who has. Didn't say if
your camping, it is fairly agreed upon to not camp in a
remote location alone. With 5 trips, seems to me you
are set. This constant comparison of Baja to the US, crime, driving wise serves no purpose

[Edited on 1-10-2019 by sancho]

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 01:00 PM

Where is that pic of the couple camping on the beach and the lady is holding a baby.
From last year. They asked if it was safe and then went camping.
So safe a baby can do it I think was the point.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

contributed to their own demise by doing dumb things, for example not turning over their purse or wallet to a robber with a gun

That is one thing I always pass along if asked. Not that I've been in that situation nor talked to anyone who has. Didn't say if
your camping, it is fairly agreed upon to not camp in a
remote location alone. With 5 trips, seems to me you
are set. This constant comparison of Baja to the US, crime, driving wise serves no purpose

Since you're quoting me, I don't think I compared the US to Mexico, in my post above, however, I see no problem doing so, and I think it serves a purpose.

BTW, we have ugly Americans, all the time comparing the US to Mexico, for example, at a line at McDonald's, in Mexico, you will often hear Americans, saying how bad the service is in a McDonald's in Mexico, compared to a McDonald's in the US. ( you will usually see me in the back of the line rolling my eyes)

So why not make a safety comparison between cities in Mexico, and the US, including the common comparison to Chicago, to another large city in Mexico?

Isn't it rather funny, that in the US some of it's biggest cities make the most dangerous cities in the world list, but usually nobody is ever trying to discourage tourists from visiting those cities like a Chicago, or New Orleans.

So Sancho, what serves a purpose better than comparison?

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 01:44 PM

I don't think I compared the US to Mexico, in my post above, however, I see no problem doing so, and I think it serves a purpose.

Wasn't referring to anything in your posted reply, another poster.
The OP' s ? was not about the US.
The mention of an accident, vehicle wise, to me
far outweighs any physical threat

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 02:31 PM

The OP's post was not about the US for sure. What "was" it about, hard to tell, really. Please somebody tell that we'll all collectively hold his/her hand, if this helps.

Is there violent crime in Baja? Yes. Are tourists on the road attacked? Yes. How likely is it to happen to you personally? Hey, nobody knows, this is not a weather forecast.

Like I wrote - don't travel in the night. Choose your campings/hotels wisely. Post your planned route, there will be more to suggest then. As it is now, there is nothing to talk about - the thread spiraling to the bottom of the toilet proves this, IMO.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
As it is now, there is nothing to talk about - the thread spiraling to the bottom of the toilet proves this, IMO.

But, they told me there was a pony down there somewhere? It's not true?

John
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Snowbird  
Hey all,
So I have traveled down the peninsula 5 times or so but it was 10-12 years ago. I have a wife and 2 year old as well as 2 large dogs. I have never been one to read into our news too much but with a family I am a bit more nervous. We are looking to cross at Mexicali and head south. I’ve read some unfortunate reports of tourist who live down south for the winters, having been dealt some violent attacks. Bahia de los angelas to name one. We are traveling in a sprinter so not the small under the radar Tacoma I had in past visits. Really appreciate the feedback and travel experiences.

kudo's for being concerned about your young family's safety:D unfortunately you have to weed through the gibberish of a few that have never ventured south of tijuana's zona norte. have a great trip!:yes:
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 04:00 AM

These signs were posted along the AZ border back during the Obammy Admin.

49864166_10156847625699761_1608599968296206336_n.jpg - 75kB

Making America Great Again
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 08:07 AM

Who could forget back in 2010 when Arizona Gov, Jan Brewer, lost her head, in an attempt to ruin tourism in Arizona, and said, "our law enforcement agencies have found bodies in the desert either buried or just lying around out there that have been beheaded."

Of course it turns out Jan Brewer, was wrong, and she was just another GOP nut case.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

You're always good for a laugh if nothing else Jay!

Bubba, one of these days, you'r'e going to be dangerous when you're able to put together a whole paragraph in any one post.

Let me guest, you're a big Sheriff Joe Arpaio, fan?

I'm a big Senator, Kyrsten Sinema(D) fan, and I like the fact that the state of Arizona, is finally turning blue, as expected.

Isn't turning blue normal when oxygen is cut off from the brain?

Yes it is. No matter what though, ol Jay is always good for a chuckle.

Clearly Joe is the adult in the room. The clowns, not so much.

Regarding the subject of this post, safety in Baja is relative. Safety compared to where?

''Be more afraid driving through the United States than driving across the border into Mexico!''

This statement is nonsense but the point isn't lost. I question my safety driving LA traffic. Otherwise, no. When crossing South through Tecate, I am aware I could be stopped for a bogus traffic violation. On the other hand, I don't read about drive-by shootings down here so that is good news.

When I cross the border, I'm aware the laws of MX are not in my favor. That makes me extra cautious.

If what people read in the media about MX violence makes them ''nervous,'' I recommend not driving down. Fly to MX, stay at a resort. Baja, if anything, is a great testing ground. Be prepared. Have fun!

The media's business is selling news and violence sells. Fear is a byproduct. Deal with the fear and you're 80% there.:tumble:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.