Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Safety driving from boarder
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 10:32 AM
Road Safety ----- U.S. versus Mexico

Regardless of local conditions, I can say with certainty that (for me) travel in the U.S. is safer.

When I'm on the highway (and mostly when on local roads) in the U.S., there's a loaded 9mm or .45ACP under the driver's seat. Something which I (reluctantly) gave up some years ago when traveling in Mexico.
Snowbird

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 01:09 PM

@joejustjoe & Sanch
Thanks the responses. The area we are focusing on would be from San Felipe headed south to about los Barriles, probably with a stop in agua verde Loreto, Mulegé, San Ignacio lagoons and few other spots like that.
On previous trips the more secluded spots were what we sought out. With the family and less inconspicuous vehicle I was just concerned about attracting attention in places like playa el coyote, santispac, and Playa el Requeson.
agreed, someone wanting my wallet when they have a gun is an easy decision...
Again, just trying to find the balance between showing my other half and kiddo one of the most remarkable places I’ve been to and being a responsible parent..... Still learning that one!
Like I mentioned in the opening post, I’ve never been one to believe all the hype but it’s crazy how much fear reporting there is out there.
Thanks again for the honest opinions and time.
Snowbird

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 01:21 PM

Damn thing wouldn’t let me edit,
Thanks for all the input!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Snowbird  
Damn thing wouldn’t let me edit,
Thanks for all the input!

Oh you mean the "border"
But you are right to be concerned for your safety around "boarders"
Boarders are very dangerous... to themselves.
I got the perma-bruises to prove it.

And yes we get upset when our secret spots are revealed.

But like I said... if you search this question some people did it with a newborn baby last year.
Camping in a tent Pacific side I think.
I think the baby was giving a little "whaletail" wave and a "it's cool bru" look.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 02:27 PM

USA roads are safer. There is no livestock on road. Lanes are wider. Road hazards are marked in USA. Major highways in USA are repaired when erosion or sink holes remove part of lane. In Mexico, the repairs will be done someday, and in meantime there is no marking of missing road,... it’s driver be ware!

[Edited on 1-12-2019 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 02:35 PM

Yeah...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Snowbird

lol.gif posted on 1-12-2019 at 02:37 PM

:lol:
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 03:51 PM

Showing the most remarkable places..... to a 2-year old? A lot of good this will do.

Events that happened before the age of 7 will be forgotten almost entirely by the age of 12. By the age of 9 he'll already forget 70% of it, and events from the first 2 years of life will be the first to go.

Moreover, he'll be getting tired of long trips.

The very first beach where you stop, - if he's enjoying it - this is it, this is your destination. Dozen other beaches that are memorable to you, won't make difference to a child at this age.

[Edited on 1-12-2019 by Alm]
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Yeah...

What he said.

Making America Great Again
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 05:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Showing the most remarkable places..... to a 2-year old? A lot of good this will do.

Events that happened before the age of 7 will be forgotten almost entirely by the age of 12. By the age of 9 he'll already forget 70% of it, and events from the first 2 years of life will be the first to go.

Moreover, he'll be getting tired of long trips.

The very first beach where you stop, - if he's enjoying it - this is it, this is your destination. Dozen other beaches that are memorable to you, won't make difference to a child at this age.

[Edited on 1-12-2019 by Alm]

Sounds like a voice of true wisdom.

John
Snowbird

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 05:23 PM

Well it’s been decided Folks, ’ll stay home until he’s 13!

👍
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 05:56 PM

:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 07:03 PM

With humor like that, Snowbird, you will get along just fine here!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 07:40 PM

The roads have improved that is for sure. I don't know how far south you are going, but if you are entering at Mexicali I assume down Mex 5? South of San Felipe there were many road and bridge washouts so a lot of work-arounds. Are you planning on heading west after entering and going down 1? Much wider now, there are actually shoulders here and there and further south many bridges have been built over washes. As far as feeling safe, I always feel safe and I am a 59 year old female who often drives alone 600 miles south of the border!
Snowbird

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 08:11 PM

Baja Mama,
Thanks for the info.
That is exactly correct, Denver to Mexicali with a possible stop at Guadalupe canyon oasis, then south to San Felipe for a night then keep heading south to San Ignacio lagoons, Mulegé, Loreto, La Paz and maybe los barriles. I think I will just have to look at the camping aspect a little different meaning camp near, not necessarily right next to, but close to others Vs searching out a private secluded area.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 01:13 AM

Given that you never asked any questions in the opening post or later, I have no doubt that you have already decided what you are going to do, before even coming to this forum :)...

My post referred solely to one of "stated" goals, i.e. showing remarkable places to a 2-year old. Shouldn't have probably read too much into this, either.

[Edited on 1-13-2019 by Alm]
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 06:03 AM

That's crazy talk! Go and enjoy!

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 12:02 PM

Nah, he's got it backwards. Infantile amnesia - the period that you later don't remember much about - covers first 4 or 6 years, not 13.

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 12:56 PM

Nah, he's got it backwards. Infantile amnesia - the period that you later don't remember much about - covers first 4 or 6 years, not 13.

So should he go now or wait until 7?

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

So should he go now or wait until 7?

Leave the kid with grandma and take the wife.

John
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.