Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sand dunes trip
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 08:16 AM
Sand dunes trip

On Friday a bunch of us drove to La Ventana north of San Felipe and stopped at the window then proceeded to the sand dunes. We do this trip every year and noted that while there a few flowers on the dunes the area was noticeably dryer than the San Felipe area. Huge contrast for San Felipe to the area north.
The pic shows the barren hills at the parking place for the window. The dunes had slightly more vegetation.

P1112485.JPG - 78kB Allan19.jpg - 247kB

[Edited on 1-13-2019 by PaulW]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 11:02 AM

one of my favorite areas
and my favorite flowers

https://tinyurl.com/y92uj6fg

Harald Pietschmann
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 04:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
On Friday a bunch of us drove to La Ventana north of San Felipe and stopped at the window then proceeded to the sand dunes. We do this trip every year and noted that while there a few flowers on the dunes the area was noticeably dryer than the San Felipe area. Huge contrast for San Felipe to the area north.
The pic shows the barren hills at the parking place for the window. The dunes had slightly more vegetation.

[Edited on 1-13-2019 by PaulW]

What is "The window"? A hole in a rock or something?

Nice pics, Harald!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 05:06 PM

The window (La Ventana) is about 10'x10'. A short hike with lots of loose rock.

P3021884.JPG - 78kB P3021885.JPG - 78kB

P3021888.JPG - 80kB
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 05:48 PM

Nice... thanks, Paul!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 05:54 PM

Nice photo!
The original La Ventana (so they say) was a window rock that looked south to the mountain at San Felipe.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2019 at 08:48 AM

David. So how I have located two of the windows on ridge lines near La Ventana. I have only documented the one above so far. Turns out there are many of these holes, but most of them are not close to a ridge line and while I have pics of quite a few, I have discounted them all. My ground rule is I have to see sky to make one real.

I never got around to finding either Bruce Barber's or the historical window. Access to Bruce's window is blocked by the pipeline without a long hike, so I have approached from the other side of the ridge. Anyway I do not think his window has merit, but I will eventually look again.
Maybe I should put my search back on my to do list and do further investigation. The issue of finding the historical window is the new road ruined the easy access, however Friday I noted that the storms have removed the fences and access via the wash will be possible.

For the curious reader David and I are writing about the historical Gerhard & Gulick report (1956).
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2019 at 01:07 PM

Thanks Paul... I sure appreciate your sharing the explorations with us here. I also am glad I am not the only Nomad who likes to find places mentioned in old books to see what they look like today!

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

For the curious reader David and I are writing about the historical Gerhard & Gulick report (1956).

I am fortunate to have all five editions of the Lower California Guidebook. The fifth edition (1975) was retitled 'Baja California Guidebook' and Walt Wheelock (of La Siesta Press fame, and other Baja books he wrote) did the revisions to include the new paved roads and other changes in Baja.

So, I checked the earlier editions (1956, 1958, 1962, 1967) and it wasn't until the 3rd edition that La Ventana was mentioned. Perhaps because the gas station was built after 1958 and before 1962? In any case, Gulick learned about the history of the name and found the location it came from and added it to his road log. I scanned that portion of the book (see below) and for the Nomads who don't have this great book from the '50s and '60s, you can see a sample of Howard Gulick's great work. He drew the maps, as well. Mile 74.4 from Mexicali, 1.7 miles from the La Ventana gas station (no longer a gas station). The Pole Line Road is also described here in the 3rd edition >>>

The 1962 3rd Edition Lower California Guidebook by Howard Gulick and Peter Gerhard

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2019 at 04:03 PM

I just checked my book is 1967 4th edition with notes. That edition was the only one found on the web.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2019 at 05:53 PM

It's a great book, over 50 years after it was published. Gulick is one of my "Baja heroes"... I was lucky to have met him (I was about 8).

The third edition (1962) had a second printing in 1964. The fourth edition (1967) was identicle to the third other than update notes added. That's how I learned about Montevideo. There was also a second printing of the 4th edition in 1970.

With all the new road and highway construction in the late 60s and early 70s it was deemed a total rewrite was in order. Howard was not up to all that effort but a fellow Baja author who also worked with Howard at the City of Glendale was, Walt Wheelock. When Walt was finished researching, Howard took the manuscript and checked it in Baja before it was printed.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-14-2019 at 06:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
one of my favorite areas
and my favorite flowers

https://tinyurl.com/y92uj6fg

Wonderful pictures!!!!

You mention "dust" inside your vehicle as being annoying. I close all the windows, and turn up the heater fan to max. with the heat turned off and the "outside air" selected, and WALA, no dust inside at all if no dust blowing around outside. If it gets stuffy, turn on some AC too. I have a pass-through from cab to small camper and this described procedure even keeps the camper dust free. It's called "positive air pressure" inside the vehicle.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2019 at 07:15 AM
Some Pics from the Ventana dunes trip

49898342_10217977881576448_9137879501647118336_n.jpg - 171kB

49854796_10217977880216414_5013378413948305408_n.jpg - 119kB 50049699_10217977881096436_3235129655526686720_n.jpg - 166kB
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-16-2019 at 10:45 AM

How was this run Paul tuff or easy or? Looks like fun
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-16-2019 at 11:01 AM

Looke easy in a Jeep:cool:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 08:50 AM

Full throttle in any 4x4 with low tire pressure works (4 High for speed). The Suzuki did not have enough HP at the top steep place and the others that went around did not low tire pressures (no ability to re-inflate).

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.