Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Best Place to Buy Pesos in San Filipe
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 07:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
Best Place to Buy Pesos in San Filipe?
Currently in Yuma, headed for San Filipe,....

Buy them in the USA, cambios are located just north of each border xing. Almost always cheapest to buy in USA.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 07:23 PM

Three2tango-- so do you get cash back using a credit card? Is that at Calimax, or OXXO or where? Going to have to try that. When I use a debit card at a bank, they charge $5 plus 3%. I have a card that has no fees for international transactions so this may be great info!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 07:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Three2tango-- so do you get cash back using a credit card? Is that at Calimax, or OXXO or where? Going to have to try that. When I use a debit card at a bank, they charge $5 plus 3%. I have a card that has no fees for international transactions so this may be great info!!

Agree 100% with Three2tango. I have CC's that have no international transaction fees. There are debit cards that offer the same.

You get points and/or cash back for every purchase you make, from the card holder, not the places you use it at.

You should be putting everything through a CC (and paying it off each month). Lots of free flights, hotels, rental cars, etc. earned that way. Plus it helps towards airline status, e.g. you get to fly first class for free on coach tickets.

Ppl afraid to use a CC in MX are behind the times. If there is fraud, one call to the bank reverses it instantly.

Plus, you get the best exchange rates. In sum, always use a CC where possible.

(although using pesos is still way better than traveling around Baja with dollars and paying the gringo tax that DK pays).

[Edited on 1-19-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  

Yeah. Use your credit with no fees at Calimax, Oxxo, Pemex and anywhere that takes it without tacking on extra fees. We get cash back on our credit card. Credit card should give you a good exchange rate.

For banking, we add money to our USAA checking that doesn't charge fees and refunds a certain amount of the ATM per month. This isn't our primary checking account so if we lose the card or something happens down here we have a backup. Plenty of other options for banks that don't hose you on those fees.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 09:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Otherwise, just use dollars... everyone accepts them in Baja.

This is what I usually hear from newbies or short-term visitors, and it can't be farther from the truth. Eventually they will take USD if you insist, but the rate won't be good.

Agreed with other posters - buy pesos in the US.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 09:25 PM

Lots of answers where to buy Pesos that do not answer the question by the OP.
In San Felipe every ATM I have tried, both no local bank one work just fine and always give you a good exchange rate. Bancomer now works. Sometimes your parent bank has a service charge.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 09:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

This is what I usually hear from newbies or short-term visitors, and it can't be farther from the truth. Eventually they will take USD if you insist, but the rate won't be good.

I have traveled in Baja since the 1960s, and as you missed where I have talked about getting pesos many times, the fact is you can use dollars and it is not always a bad exchange. I wanted the OP to not panic if he didn't get pesos. Relax.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 09:39 PM

I have traveled in Baja since the 1960s, and as you missed where I have talked about getting pesos many times, the fact is you can use dollars and it is not always a bad exchange. I wanted the OP to not panic if he didn't get pesos. Relax.

so what kind of of a rate were getting as a 8 year old adventurer?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 11:35 PM

12.50 to the dollar.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 07:05 AM

in the mid-1500s while traveling with juan (cabrillo that is) we had such a difficult time changing our escudos to pesos. but of course, most of you were unfamiliar with "the baja" back then.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 07:57 AM

"have to make 'on the run' mathematical calculations as to the conversion,"
The guys at the gas stations have calculators and will show you the calculation as they make it, twice if you want.

"You should be putting everything through a CC "
Sometimes your card will be declined for an unknown reason (at a time when you really need that purchase). Sometimes their card reader can't be used. Sometimes there is fraud with card skimmers. Sometimes the ATM is out of money. Never let anyone walk away out of sight with your credit card. Do not rely on your credit card to be your only payment option. And of course, only use a bank card that has no foreign transaction fees AND reimbursed transaction fees. And always separate your cash, credit cards, checks (yes, some still take a check), and divide your cash in separate places.

Don't sweat a small difference in exchange rates. The difference between $500 at 17.60 rate and a 18.20 rate is $16.00. If you have an ATM transaction fee charged, you're dinged for $2 or $3 every time. The price of gas is different, sometimes the station pumps are skewed (what? I just put 16 gal. in my tank that takes 12?). Such are the perils and pitfalls of travel.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 08:32 AM

Not fake news
Got 9000 Pesos yesterday at the ATM. Exchange rate was 18.647/dollar including a $5 charge from Wells Fargo.
18.8425 if you ignore the $5 charge. The official bank rate yesterday was 19.077
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 08:34 AM

Many People don’t want dollars. They tolerate your offer of dollars because they are polite.
The local currency is pesos. Take 5 minutes effort to change some money, instead of making your laziness the vendor’s problem

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 08:50 AM

Goat that is true. The polite local place or vendor that take dollars has to go to a friend who has a US bank or a Local bank and exchange dollars for pesos. That means the local place will lose money for each exchange. Thus the discount to take dollars is quite a bit.
Its is not nice to use dollars.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 10:57 AM

Yet, while standing in line at a market in El Rosario (not a tourist town) a few years ago, a local was buying groceries using dollars... it is a second currency and not at all an issue.

Goat misses the point... I agree it is easier and respectful to use pesos, and I normally do. If, however, you either can't get the pesos or run out of pesos, don't panic... dollars work. Don't cancel a trip because you didn't get pesos.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 11:02 AM
Escuela Viejo?

Yeah....me too, but I feel that using my 'Yaba daba doo' card from the Bank of Bedrock, is safer for me than carrying enough cash to last a couple of months in Baja.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 11:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

so what kind of of a rate were getting as a 8 year old adventurer?

My parents were taking me on trips to Mexico back then, and it was either 12.5 pesos to the dollar (8 cents), or eight pesos to the dollar (12.5 cents). It was a long time ago!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 03:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Many People don’t want dollars. They tolerate your offer of dollars because they are polite.
The local currency is pesos. Take 5 minutes effort to change some money, instead of making your laziness the vendor’s problem

:lol:...no seriously, you couldn't make this chit up! show me ONE mexican that wouldn't rather have a grip load of american dollars over peso's!
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 11:01 AM

Since I am still in Yuma and will be crossing a Algodonas, I'll just get the Pesos there when I pick up my new crown.

I don't use dollers because I don't want to have to get out a calculator every time I do a transaction. What a hassle, plus, since I can count cambio in pesos, I count it out in front of the clerk so they don't make a "mistake" and shortchange me. It's just easier to deal with their system.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 11:13 AM

Yes, it is easier to use pesos. Let us know what exchange rate you get. Have fun down there in the arroyo or where ever you go! I hope you enjoyed my book... It was nice talking with you!

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.