BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Single track near Catavina
JZ
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 3523
Registered: 10-3-2003
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 05:23 PM


Attached is the track I have for El Rosario to Catavina.

The blue is suppose to be an alternative for a locked gate. Looking at Google Earth it seems like a truck could get to San Fernado pretty easily. I see buildings down there.

The red routes are well established roads from the hwy to the coast. Would like to ride El Rosario to Catavina, but we don't have the range for non-stop, so trying to figure out meet up points with the truck.

Questions:
- Where exactly is the gate? And is it in fact locked?
- When you leave the ocean at San Fernado, is that when it becomes single track?
- Is the route from Santa Catarina to Catavina single track?





Attachment: Rt El Rosario to Catavina.kmz (9kB)
This file has been downloaded 64 times

Attachment: Alternative for Locked Gate.kmz (3kB)
This file has been downloaded 56 times

[Edited on 1-21-2019 by JZ]




See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs



View user's profile
advrider
Senior Nomad
***




Posts: 715
Registered: 10-2-2015
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 06:37 PM


I think it was 120 miles total, maybe 60 of it single track. The gate is just a mile or two past the blue line (work around) that you put in. You can drive the two track in a truck no problem all the way to where the single track starts,a few miles west of the blue line. If you look on the map you can come in from the hwy on the dirt road that the single track starts on, North of Catavina rather then drive the dirt road all the way there....
View user's profile
JZ
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 3523
Registered: 10-3-2003
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 06:56 PM


Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I think it was 120 miles total, maybe 60 of it single track. The gate is just a mile or two past the blue line (work around) that you put in. You can drive the two track in a truck no problem all the way to where the single track starts,a few miles west of the blue line. If you look on the map you can come in from the hwy on the dirt road that the single track starts on, North of Catavina rather then drive the dirt road all the way there....


Thx my friend. How's the coastline down there? Any place worth camping at for one night?


I see there is a tiny little marina. I guess they fish the reefs of the two small islands that are just offshore.







[Edited on 1-21-2019 by JZ]




See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs



View user's profile
advrider
Senior Nomad
***




Posts: 715
Registered: 10-2-2015
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 07:00 PM


There were a couple of places that you could camp. I saw the marina but didn't stop in. We will Be running it again in March so I will take more notice of the area.
View user's profile
JZ
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 3523
Registered: 10-3-2003
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 07:15 PM


Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
There were a couple of places that you could camp. I saw the marina but didn't stop in. We will Be running it again in March so I will take more notice of the area.


Looking more at GE it looks like you might be able to take a truck the whole way to Santa Catarina.

Not necessarily on the route I posted, but just looking at it, there are tracks all over the place to the NW of where the gate is.





See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs



View user's profile
brumsky
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 30
Registered: 1-18-2019
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 11:41 PM


Thought I would throw this alternate route out there. It would cut the route down to about 90 miles from the highway, about the range of the group I am riding with. We won't have a chase truck so looking for something a little shorter than the full route. It meets back up to the original route a little before the single track begins (heading west to east). It also goes by a single track network (blue circle).

I have never been, so no idea if this route is any good.

Any thoughts?

bn alternate 4.jpg - 78kB

Attachment: BN alternate.gpx (14kB)
This file has been downloaded 59 times

[Edited on 1-21-2019 by brumsky]
View user's profile
brumsky
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 30
Registered: 1-18-2019
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 11:51 PM


Better screenshot

View user's profile
motoged
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 5544
Registered: 7-31-2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Member Is Offline

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 10:52 AM


Sharing known tracks can offer folks an idea of where they could go, based on where someone else has gone before.....and is a frequent practice. This is often a good thing.

My own recent Baja riding (past three years) has been based on looking at maps and GE for areas that interest me...often off the beaten tracks of Lizard Lady and recent ADVrider trip report routes.....(which seem to form some Holy Grail of where to ride....which leads to folks "bagging peaks" [old climber's reference]).

Nothing wrong or bad about that, but leads to thinking inside the box of always following a recipe.

My riding/exploring pleasure these days is found by following arroyos until I can't, following a set of tire tracks that could be a week or many years old....just to see where it goes. I like to find loops to ride, but have no problem riding back out on same track/route....

This has taken me places where no one has ever ridden before or to places that others will likely never see...

....And then open up your curiousity for an area and go explore it....you don't always need to be spoon-fed where to go to enjoy Baja.....or anywhere else.

Enjoy the popular routes...encounter others doing the same...and have fun doing that. If a person's time in Baja is limited or one is less comfortable going off the popular routes, sharing popular routes is a great intro to Baja....

I enjoy the "track less traveled"....

YMMV :coolup:




Don't believe everything you think....
View user's profile
JZ
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 3523
Registered: 10-3-2003
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 11:10 AM


Quote: Originally posted by brumsky  
Thought I would throw this alternate route out there. It would cut the route down to about 90 miles from the highway, about the range of the group I am riding with. We won't have a chase truck so looking for something a little shorter than the full route. It meets back up to the original route a little before the single track begins (heading west to east). It also goes by a single track network (blue circle).

I have never been, so no idea if this route is any good.

Any thoughts?


[Edited on 1-21-2019 by brumsky]


Thanks for posting this. Helps me out greatly. Think we might come in off the highway on your route.




See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs



View user's profile
JZ
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 3523
Registered: 10-3-2003
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 11:14 AM


Brumsky, if you put "=800x" after IMG it will avoid it stretching the page.

[IMG=800x]




See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs



View user's profile
brumsky
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 30
Registered: 1-18-2019
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 11:25 AM


Happy to help!

I'll be checking it out in April. If you make it before then please let me know how it goes.
View user's profile
brumsky
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 30
Registered: 1-18-2019
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 11:31 AM


Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Brumsky, if you put "=800x" after IMG it will avoid it stretching the page.

[IMG=800x]


Good to know. Thanks
View user's profile
advrider
Senior Nomad
***




Posts: 715
Registered: 10-2-2015
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 12:01 PM


Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Sharing known tracks can offer folks an idea of where they could go, based on where someone else has gone before.....and is a frequent practice. This is often a good thing.

My own recent Baja riding (past three years) has been based on looking at maps and GE for areas that interest me...often off the beaten tracks of Lizard Lady and recent ADVrider trip report routes.....(which seem to form some Holy Grail of where to ride....which leads to folks "bagging peaks" [old climber's reference]).

Nothing wrong or bad about that, but leads to thinking inside the box of always following a recipe.

My riding/exploring pleasure these days is found by following arroyos until I can't, following a set of tire tracks that could be a week or many years old....just to see where it goes. I like to find loops to ride, but have no problem riding back out on same track/route....

This has taken me places where no one has ever ridden before or to places that others will likely never see...

....And then open up your curiousity for an area and go explore it....you don't always need to be spoon-fed where to go to enjoy Baja.....or anywhere else.

Enjoy the popular routes...encounter others doing the same...and have fun doing that. If a person's time in Baja is limited or one is less comfortable going off the popular routes, sharing popular routes is a great intro to Baja....

I enjoy the "track less traveled"....

YMMV :coolup:


Well said! Sometimes I like to plan it out and other times just wonder and see where it goes! It is nice to have a place to share tracks and learn more about the area. A lot of the tracks we talk about you can find or buy from the lizard lady, so most aren't super secret. I refer to DavidK'S maps all of the time, saves me work.... Thanks to all that share..
View user's profile
motoged
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 5544
Registered: 7-31-2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Member Is Offline

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 12:20 PM


Anyone want to buy my Lizard Lady full kit? Bin der dun dat ....:light:



Don't believe everything you think....
View user's profile
David K
Honored Nomad
*********


Avatar


Posts: 57075
Registered: 8-30-2002
Location: San Diego County
Member Is Offline

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 12:39 PM


Quote: Originally posted by brumsky  
Anyone ever been to this area? Around 29.896388, -115.418035?

Im seeing a ton of tracks around there on Google Earth.






Yes, that's the Las Pintas Fossil Grotto region. The best way to it is along Arroyo San Fernando from the Punta San Carlos graded road, passing Malvar. There is another way but much slower and with silt from the mud hills.
See my trip report web page: http://vivabaja.com/Las%20Pintas%20Fossil%20Grotto/




"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

Baja Missions On Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/

Over 70 Baja Bound Travel Adventure articles: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/

Visit Viva Baja, to help you plan your next adventure: http://VivaBaja.com

My 30 (2018) Baja Maps: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88771
View user's profile Visit user's homepage
TMW
Select Nomad
*******




Posts: 9865
Registered: 9-1-2003
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 01:35 PM


JZ looking at the map you posted above the pin at Santa Catarina is 87 miles from El Rosario if you can make it there. That according to Kacey Smith's GPS chart. The trail comes out to the road just north of the ranch like 1/8 of a mile and passes thru Santa Catarina.
View user's profile
brumsky
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 30
Registered: 1-18-2019
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 03:48 PM


Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by brumsky  
Anyone ever been to this area? Around 29.896388, -115.418035?

Im seeing a ton of tracks around there on Google Earth.






Yes, that's the Las Pintas Fossil Grotto region. The best way to it is along Arroyo San Fernando from the Punta San Carlos graded road, passing Malvar. There is another way but much slower and with silt from the mud hills.
See my trip report web page: http://vivabaja.com/Las%20Pintas%20Fossil%20Grotto/


Thanks David. Those petroglyphs look pretty amazing. I will have to check those out for sure. Thanks for the report!
View user's profile
satmike
Nomad
**




Posts: 106
Registered: 12-19-2006
Location: Salt Lake/ Punta San Carlos
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 05:04 PM


I have a 160+ mile range and I think sometimes that's not enough. I'd be careful or carry extra gas if I only had a 90 mile range. Sometimes you put in more miles if you have to backtrack.

I'm sure glad I got to ride a lot of the popular singletracks a long time ago when they were secret and smooth





View user's profile
JZ
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 3523
Registered: 10-3-2003
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 05:25 PM


Quote: Originally posted by satmike  


I'm sure glad I got to ride a lot of the popular singletracks a long time ago when they were secret and smooth



Lol. Everyone thinks they are the last ones to the "secret club."

If you really want to see stuff no one sees, buy a boat.





See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs



View user's profile
rich t
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 88
Registered: 4-18-2016
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 11:41 AM


JZ, I sent you that track last year, the gate does not have a lock on it, there is a sign that says NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES, you have to drive to the Ranchers house to get thru and there is a gate at the other end of the property, Very little of the whole trail from El Rosario to Catavina is single track. After you take the detour and head toward El Progresso you can continue to Hiway 1 or take the right turn toward Santa Catarina, after about 5 miles it will turn to a single track almost to Santa Catarina, that is another good bailout and ride the hiway to Catavina, if you continue from Santa Catarina to Catavina in the wash it was soft sand and alot of rock.
There is a campground about 7 or 8 miles before San Carlos, mostly windsurfers there. I carry a 1 gallon roto pack and have a 3.2 gallon tank, can do 150 miles.
View user's profile
 Pages:  1  2  

  Go To Top

 






All Content Copyright � 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.
Powered by XMB; XMB Forum Software © 2001-2014 The XMB Group�






"If it were lush and rich, one could understand the pull, but it is fierce and hostile and sullen. The stone mountains pile up to the sky and there is little fresh water. But we know we must go back if we live, and we don't know why." - Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

"People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." - Ivan R. Misner, Ph.D

"You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them or to them." - Malcolm Forbes

"Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else's hands, but not you." - Jim Rohn







Thank you to Baja Bound Mexico Insurance Services for your long-term support of the BajaNomad.com Forums site.







Emergency Baja Contacts Include:

Desert Hawks; El Rosario-based ambulance transport; Emergency #: (616) 103-0262