BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Rosarito tourism dead due to Trump’s manufactured border crisis
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 12:28 PM

You know how to hook em, Goat!
The article itself was a hit piece, it did mention somewhere around the 15th paragraph that hotel occupancy was only off 4% year over year from last year. Visiting a summer beach resort during a frigid day in January one usually will see fewer tourists.
Not saying that I like the wall.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 12:29 PM

So doesn't that make this a good time to go get a Lobster taco?
No line.
I might get one to go on my way south.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 12:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
A couple of years ago, I re-connected with an old girlfriend. In the year 2000, we spent a few weeks touring Baja, as far south as Loreto.

Although we had nothing but good experiences everywhere we went, she will not even consider going back, based on her perception that it is no longer safe!

She came to that impression before Trump ever took office!

And there are many more like her!

The fear of MX started years ago for some founded/unfounded reasons. Unfortunately, the public believes most of what it reads in the media. The border situation right now simply adds to that fear.

More beheadings and hangings in Acapulco, more fear in Baja. Go figure.

As for the NYT article, the numbers and interviews are either fake or correct. They might be correct.

I don't know that ''most'' (quoting JJJ) migrants at the border are seeking asylum, but obviously there are too many for the US to interview to make determinations about.

Blame it all on the Dems (Libs)? It's difficult believing there are such knee-jerk nut jobs posting here.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 01:19 PM

My buddy's restaurant is doing great in Rosarito, so much so he's opening up another one in Ensenada and franchised yet another on in Tecate. Sounds like you made up some facts. His clients are mostly gringos too.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  
My buddy's restaurant is doing great in Rosarito, so much so he's opening up another one in Ensenada and franchised yet another on in Tecate. Sounds like you made up some facts. His clients are mostly gringos too.

Sometimes I worry about you Timinator, there is without doubt tourism is hurting in Rosarito, and I expect a poor spring break with very few bikini clad loose white college girls in Rosarito this year.

There is also very little doubt tourism is down in other areas of Baja and Mexico, althought overall tourism to Mexico is at an all time high in places like Cancun.

The only thing in debate is if Trump and the cavavan caused the drop in tourism.

My opinion is Trump and the migrants just exasperated the situation but the problem was always there the last few years.

What's your buddy's restaurant so we can check ourselves?

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  

Is that it? You believe your buddy’s place represents Rosarito? Happy for your bud. Good for you you don’t believe everything you read.

Biz is cyclical anyway.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
Gscott
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 08:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Most of the migrants from the caravan, are acting in a lawful manner, they are trying to come through the lawful points of entry, and then trying to claim asylum.

Nope. Most of them are violating Mexican law at the southern border of Mexico before they arrive to violate US law at our border.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 07:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gscott  
Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Most of the migrants from the caravan, are acting in a lawful manner, they are trying to come through the lawful points of entry, and then trying to claim asylum.

Nope. Most of them are violating Mexican law at the southern border of Mexico before they arrive to violate US law at our border.

Exactly. They had already broken at least one law long before they arrived at the US border.

Making America Great Again
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 08:07 AM

I live in a town that has had zero border issues with either of our crossings, with regards to the migrants. Yet, I have talked to several owners of the most popular restaurants in town and I can drive by several hotels and see their occupancy rates (based on the parking lots).

All agree that foreign visitors is down this year. Probably somewhere around 20-25%.

These restaurant owners feel it due to perceived worsening security issues in Mexico, after several years of seeming progress. Two straight years of record-setting murders will do this.

We had a very high profile incident involving our municipal police this summer. They were implicated (actually caught on a cell phone cam) turning over the members of one gang to another gang. Of course, the incarcerated gang members were never heard from again.

Then came the narcomantas from the gang of the incarcerated; promising revenge on the municipal police. Immediately, all muni police went into hiding and the state, federal and military were forced to take over police services for a number of months. As San Carlos is a remote offshoot of the town of Guaymas, we had virtually NO police authoritative presence of ANY kind for this period. Not that the munies do much, anyway..............

When the munies finally returned, the revenge was not long in coming. In broad daylight, on the busiest street in Guaymas, four of the munies where shot dead on the streets and a fifth (a poor traffic cop with a uniform and badge, but no gun) was killed during the killers escape through another part of town. Apparently, they were speeding........but, as usual, they got clean away.

For one of the few times, a security incident involving the Guaymas/San Carlos area actually made the national and international news in the US and other countries.

Word on the street was that the three municipal police officers who were responsible for doing the gang member exchange, escaped across the border into the US. EVERYONE wanted their asses.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 08:19 AM

There's absolutely no doubt that tourism is down in Mexico but to blame President Trump and the current Administration for it like this thread suggests is absurd. Come to think of it, nothing new though, these Liberals and their hate/tunnel vision will blame everything on Trump.

Making America Great Again
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 12:00 PM

Immigration and border security has been bad for many years. Trump has made it worse. Doesn't matter your political affiliation. Look at what's happening -- the negative outcome is being played out in tourists being even more fearful of Mexico -- and staying away.

Let's blame Obama, Bush, Clinton, and others while we're playing the blame game. Blame the white house, a do-nothing congress and senate.

Anyone thinking Republicans are happy campers about all this plus the shutdown is out of touch.

F*ck it.
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 12:31 PM

I bet the increased number of killings in Cancun, dead headless bodies hanging from bridges near Cabo, bodies being disposed of via acid near Rosarito, American citizens being killed in Bahia de Los Angeles, increased theft of vehicles and watercraft, and grenades being thrown in bars in Acapulco have no bearing on the perceived negativity and why there may be less tourists? Get a grip there buddy..... ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Immigration and border security has been bad for many years. Trump has made it worse. Doesn't matter your political affiliation. Look at what's happening -- the negative outcome is being played out in tourists being even more fearful of Mexico -- and staying away.

Let's blame Obama, Bush, Clinton, and others while we're playing the blame game. Blame the white house, a do-nothing congress and senate.

Anyone thinking Republicans are happy campers about all this plus the shutdown is out of touch.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 01:09 PM
Who Cares ? Enjoy the Moment.

If you're NOT one of those whose income is negatively affected by a drop in tourism, fewer people should be a plus.

Say Hooray for people staying away !
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by drzura  
I bet the increased number of killings in Cancun, dead headless bodies hanging from bridges near Cabo, bodies being disposed of via acid near Rosarito, American citizens being killed in Bahia de Los Angeles, increased theft of vehicles and watercraft, and grenades being thrown in bars in Acapulco have no bearing on the perceived negativity and why there may be less tourists? Get a grip there buddy..... ;)

OK. I've gotten a grip. The above violence you've quoted is more than perception. And to me, the violence you mention has no bearing on me or my time in El Pescadero. That includes any shootings, cartel sightings, and violence in Cabo or La Paz. Just doesn't mean a thing to me.

If gringoes see Rosarito as representative of violence throughout all of Mexico, fine with me. I don't.

My point is keeping the border problems and immigration fiasco front page is part of the negative outcome and feeds more fear for most already fearing Mexico. Much ado about nothing.

Your president thinks a Wall is THE solution and spins stories creating even more drama. I say go for it. I think he's wrong but that's just my opinion. Enough people think he's off center on this and the future will bear this out.

Like Bill wrote, if people are afraid of violence down here, they should stay away. Who cares?

F*ck it.
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 02:52 PM

It's not just Rosarito that effects people's perception on the safety and current conditions in Mexico, it's ALL the cities combined that I have mentioned. I've been going to Baja since I was eight years old, and I still love going and will keep doing so. But others will take in relevant information and decide as to whether they want to venture into Baja, or Mexico in general, for their vacations. This may be especially true for people who have not been to Mexico and are considering it for their first time. And as you have cited, less people are going; increased numbers would rather take their families to Disneyworld or other destinations. So, I am glad the violence in La Paz and Cabo has not negatively effected YOUR time in El Pescadero, but I'm sure it has hurt the Mexican population and their ability to earn money... you conceded plick.

Oh yeah, the only thing YOUR President, Donald Trump, is doing is trying to keep all the issues on that side of the border. Additionally, I think gringo is a derogatory term and you should not use it anymore because it's offensive and hurts my feelings... lol ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTGxjg0dqbo

OK. I've gotten a grip. The above violence you've quoted is more than perception. And to me, the violence you mention has no bearing on me or my time in El Pescadero. That includes any shootings, cartel sightings, and violence in Cabo or La Paz. Just doesn't mean a thing to me.

If gringoes see Rosarito as representative of violence throughout all of Mexico, fine with me. I don't.

My point is keeping the border problems and immigration fiasco front page is part of the negative outcome and feeds more fear for most already fearing Mexico. Much ado about nothing.

Your president thinks a Wall is THE solution and spins stories creating even more drama. I say go for it. I think he's wrong but that's just my opinion. Enough people think he's off center on this and the future will bear this out.

Like Bill wrote, if people are afraid of violence down here, they should stay away. Who cares?

[Edited on 1-20-2019 by drzura]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 03:04 PM

I think Trump is a chitbag, but you can't blame him for this.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 03:10 PM

True, you can't blame him for this. It was the pandering of politicians for many years on both side of the isle.

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 03:35 PM

True, you can't blame him for this. It was the pandering of politicians for many years on both side of the isle.

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Blame Obama, Bush, Clinton and the rest is history. Maybe there's no solution. Doesn't look like it yet.

And then there's the Dreamers.

Pardon my callous disregard for MX economy. I've stopped caring and just don't give a F.

Can I quote Mr. Bill again?:bounce:

F*ck it.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 03:56 PM

the town's doing great, new stores and restaurants opening everyday catering to expat community.
the article talks about and features the huge beachfront bars that are sitting empty, the kids that frequent these clubs for underage and affordable drinking don't give a ratzazz about Trump,violence, the wall, or the caravan. they just come for the fun.
where are they?.......ITS WINTER! its freezing 'effin cold down on that beach.....spring break they'll be back;)
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Closed
1-21-2019 at 02:58 AM
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.