BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Where can I buy a 2 gallon toilet?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 08:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elfbrewery  
Not too much info, I have a bucket (shower water) nearby to dump into the toilet when full flushing is needed. Between the 1.6 and another half-gallon of water, I get the results -- woosh! I read a few years ago that it takes 2 gallons of water in 3 seconds to create enough pressure to fully flush a toilet. That said, there are many opinions and individuals' experiences that may not agree. I just know that mine isn't the only one that has this short-coming.
If it weren't for the fact that the toilet bowl is getting too stained to keep clean (and the base needs to be reconstructed, water shut-off valve replaced, etc.) I would continue to use the saved shower water to help flush the toilet. However, if all this needs to be done, one would think replacing the toilet with one that has a higher gallon per flush rating wouldn't be a big deal. Thus my quandary.

elf- I have 1.6 gallon toilets. They flush just fine. I'm the one who wrote about the muriatic acid down the flapper trick. If you want to buy a new toilet, go for it, but I can assure there is nothing about a 1.6 gallon that would make it not flush properly unless the flush holes are plugged up.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 08:40 PM

elf, you don't seem to understand how a toilet works. The plumbing lines to your toilet have nothing to do with it. It is the water in the tank that flushes the toilet- it doesn't need pressure, it works on gravity- you depress the lever and the water in the tank flows through the holes under the rim and at the front of the bottom. But it won't get enough water flow through those holes if the space is reduced due to mineral build up, or maybe even dirt or sand if that's coming down the water lines.
It doesn't matter if your toilet is by the beach or on a mountaintop, or whether you have a pressurized water system or not, or whether the plumbing lines are old. As long as the tank is filling and there's a free flow of water through the toilet, a toilet works the same everywhere.

[Edited on 1-23-2019 by surabi]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 09:07 PM

Keep in mind that any toilet depends on the drain line and vents to be properly designed, constructed and maintained. What the toilet dumps into matters!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2019 at 01:18 PM

Surabi - Thanks for the reassurance. I've checked the holes under the rim and there is very little debris in the bottom of the tank. I dropped a large fishing weight on a line down the vent and it went straight to the bottom and came back slightly wet. We put a 2" hose down the toilet hole and water ran freely from a water truck out to two holding tanks. The toilet flushes well, just no whoosh.
I think gravity is the answer, too.

I'm enjoying all this feedback, keep it coming.

AKgringo - I wish someone knew where the drain lines go...I'm having to plunge the toilet because there's a backup ... s-o-m-e-w-h-e-r-e...???... but I think the toilet is not the problem as flushing it with extra water has worked for several years.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-23-2019 at 02:11 PM

Sounds like you have done all the right stuff, and maybe your system is just a quart low! Also, if you are on a septic system, I would be very cautious about what chemicals you put down the drain

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2019 at 02:13 PM

Agreed. Thanks.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2019 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elfbrewery  
Surabi - Thanks for the reassurance. I've checked the holes under the rim and there is very little debris in the bottom of the tank. I dropped a large fishing weight on a line down the vent and it went straight to the bottom and came back slightly wet. We put a 2" hose down the toilet hole and water ran freely from a water truck out to two holding tanks. The toilet flushes well, just no whoosh.
I think gravity is the answer, too.

I'm enjoying all this feedback, keep it coming.

AKgringo - I wish someone knew where the drain lines go...I'm having to plunge the toilet because there's a backup ... s-o-m-e-w-h-e-r-e...???... but I think the toilet is not the problem as flushing it with extra water has worked for several years.

Elf- just looking at the holes under the rim won't tell you if there's reduced space between there and the tank from mineral buildup.
I'm just speaking from experience here- having 1.6 gallon toilets that weren't doing a full whoosh flush- when I read online about the muriatic acid trick and tried it, they instantly started flushing with a "whoosh".
And no, as AK says, it's not good to put chemicals in your septic, but I'm on a private septic and doing this didn't affect it negatively. It's not something you'd want to do every day, but a cupful of muriatic acid, once a year (actually I only had to do it once in 11 years, but do use a bit every couple months or so to remove the hard water stains) won't damage a septic system that's working well.
Yeah, it's too bad you don't know where the toilet drains to and that there seems to be a blockage.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2019 at 11:44 PM

Elf- just for imterest's sake, why don't you try the muriatic fix as I described it? The worst that happens is you waste the 10 minutes it takes and a cupful of muriatic acid, which costs pennies. Or we could just talk about it endlessly :-)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 07:28 AM

I have a low flow toilet, and my crap goes down fine.
Me thinks some of you need to make smaller craps.

If you have tons of mineral deposits that stain your bowl quickly, it is Probably easiest to just keep the lid down so you don’t have to look at the ugly results, and quit worrying about cleaning the bowl.

If you have bad mineral deposits, and are also producing monstrous unflushable craps, you should pay your cleaning lady a hazardous work supplement.

Btw, this thread really needs some pictures,....

[Edited on 1-24-2019 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 08:01 AM

And when you get your 2 gallon toilet you may find that you no longer need a Poop Knife.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 11:20 AM

its time to open up the septic tank and see if there is the "white foamy" stuff clogging it

might be time for a "clean out"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 11:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DavidT  

And when you get your 2 gallon toilet you may find that you no longer need a Poop Knife.

Now, that's a funny link!!!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 11:59 AM

A line from our house to the septic tank was snaked and the septic tank was cleaned out, but stuff isn't flowing into it. Could be there is enough in the septic tank again to slow down the works... No one wants to jump in to find where the pipes are. I'm at a stalemate with the maintenance guy.

Anyway, I still want to nail down a new toilet once we get the septic issue resolved. If I can track down some muriatic acid, I give it a shot, just for fun.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 12:34 PM

It sounds like a section of your waste pipe may have a dip in it. Poop only flows downhill, so if that's the case, you'll need to make sure there is a drop of at least 1/4 inch per foot between your house and the septic tank. No toilet will help this chituation.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 12:39 PM

did you OPEN up the tank?

if not it cold be FULL
there should be several compartments

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 12:48 PM

Anything is possible as the pipes were installed yonks ago (i.e., long time ago) and cemented over. It makes it difficult to know where the lines run and breaking through someone's patio or garage or flooring is not a popular option for snooping things out. The septic tank was opened and we saw it was about half the level as before, but we still couldn't see whether the level is above the input pipe. If the input pipe is as low as that, then it is definitely on a good slope from the holding tank in front of our house. The tank in front of our house is also piped into by other houses, so something is "bound" to happen and then it will get addressed, I hope.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 01:56 PM

You can check out the waste pipe without digging it up. You just need to run a video camera down the pipe.
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 03:26 PM

That would be like a colonoscopy... not pretty.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 07:15 PM

This is disgusting thread. Where are the members calling for the thread to be moved to the OT, like when there is a political thread?

All these ideas recommended here probably won't work and you're working in the dark.

Before you make recommendations you should at least get an idea of the average size of the feces and how many wipes and toilet paper is being used at one sitting.

I woild tell the OP do a one flush after the main dump, and then flush again after clean up.

If this doesn't work buy a power flush toilet. I have one tollet in the house that with number #1 I flush downward, if number #2, I flush upward that brings more power and works.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 07:29 PM
Joe KNOWS Scheisse !

Bowel Blockages are right up his back alley.

So to speak.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.