Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: San Isidro to Mulege trail
Craig B

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 08:53 AM
San Isidro to Mulege trail

Some friends and I took our utv's on a ride last week. Started in Loreto and headed to La Purisima. Spent the night then headed to San Isidro in the morning, turned left on the trail to Mulege. Got started later than planned but it was a beautiful day. We made it 40 miles up the trail, had some very rocky sections with a few washouts.

We saw some beautiful country, many ranchos and even a date farm. The placed we stopped was at about 3800 ft. elevation overlooking a very scenic valley. We could see the switch backs going down and the switch backs going up the other side. Looking at the valley below on google earth it was hard to see the road but it was very visible to us.

We had hoped to make it down to the valley and up the other side but thought it best to head back. Our original plan was to turn around anyway and spend another night in La Purisima, just didn't make it as far as we wanted. It will be great if we can make it the whole way as to not be going up the highway traveling between Loreto and Mulege.

Overall was a great ride...
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 10:15 AM

Thanks, nice report. Myself and several others here have been waiting for an up-to-date report. Please update if you give the rout another go.

Bruce
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 11:37 AM

Thank you and hope you try again!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 01:12 PM

Does it look like it would be easier going East to West?

Can a truck get through the section you went without doing too much climbing over rocks?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Craig B

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Does it look like it would be easier going East to West?

Can a truck get through the section you went without doing too much climbing over rocks?

The next time we wil try this will probably go from east to west because if there is a problem it will be on the east side of the trail. I don't think it will make any difference as far as difficulity.

There is no way to bypass the rock sections, they are very rough. A serious 4X4 should be able to do it and it would be hell on a bike in my opinion. But then maybe a bike could somehow bypass the rock section by blazing his own trail?
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 02:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Craig B  

Photos to share?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 06:05 PM

This trail is one of the great trails in Baja when it goes thru all the way. Another is the No Wimp Trail which it appears is now closed off at the north end. I've been both ways on both trails and I look forward to my next trip down there. I would also rate the run out to Timbabichi as an excellent trip to take.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 06:48 PM

TMW,
Would be happy to do this ride with you Feb/Mar if you are around.
I've done it several times, both directions. Did the Chupparosa end last year, but ran out of day to get to the Guahademi end. South side of that is very rough as reported here. North side is merely muy mallow.

Need a strong skilled rider with good self recovery/self rescue skillset for this one.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 07:26 PM

Al,
I am in Asuncion until March 6th....and have two weeks where I want to do more riding somewhere on the 450...what are you thinking here ...? Sounds like you are in Mulege.

Don't believe everything you think....
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 07:45 PM
Craig B - east to west eh?

You wrote:

"The placed we stopped was at about 3800 ft. elevation overlooking a very scenic valley. We could see the switch backs going down and the switch backs going up the other side. Looking at the valley below on google earth it was hard to see the road but it was very visible to us."

We went from Mulege to San Isidro in March 2016. Where you stopped at the overlook is really a great viewpoint. Having come from the Mulege side, we had the opposing view - equally beautiful. In my opinion the switchbacks either direction are slow and rocky, and we were way better off in low range, low gear in my Tacoma - I actually felt as though I had some degree of control. Approaching from the Mulege side as you propose, you will encounter a place or two where a GPS might be helpful, or a knowledge of which way to go.

The approach to the "overlook" from the Mulege side is quite rocky for the better part of a mile or two. Slow going, but fun.

TMW knows of what he speaks, at least on this route! Hi Tom!

John M

p.s. some time ago there was a video on Nomad of three or four guys in a way overloaded Toyota taking this route east to west.

[Edited on 1-23-2019 by John M]
Craig B

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 08:09 PM

John M
That video you spoke of really got us excited to try this trail. We are planning to go again in the near future..
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 08:39 PM
the video

Craig, from the outset while watching the video I didn't think it was the same trail. They had lush vegetation through much of their drive - we did an early springtime drive and it was fifty shades of brown. But it WAS the trail as we recognized a number of sights along the way.

John
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 08:43 PM

A serious 4X4 should be able to do it and it would be hell on a bike in my opinion.

I question this comment. Generally a bike can ride over a lot more rocks than any 4x4.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Craig B

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

A serious 4X4 should be able to do it and it would be hell on a bike in my opinion.

I question this comment. Generally a bike can ride over a lot more rocks than any 4x4.
Not trying to offend you or any other moto guys. Years ago I rode a lot, I am glad I was not doing the rocky section on two wheels. Some of you guys could maybe do it easily...
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2019 at 09:37 AM

TMW/motoG,
I am thinking I need a strong bike/rider to do this loop with in case something doesn't go to plan. It's 155 miles round from my place here to San Isidro jct, out to hwy 1, and back to Mulege.

Last time I did it clockwise, which puts the sun to my back for most of the rough stuff, and the scenic ride north from San Isidro into the Guajademi cactus forest valley. Also allows me to carry a gallon south and dump that in the tank at the Hwy 1 turnoff. That avoids a gas stop in La Purisima, saves time/daylight.

The rough top section above the rancho Guajademi junction is eroded roadbed, no soil left, just rough mountain bedrock with a bunch of bread-loaf sized loose ones to skip around and over. Cambers hard to one side too.

The climb up and drop in to Las Chuparrosas canyon is OK on the south side and a loose challenging decent on the north. The local rancho guys are going over into the valley, seen their tracks.

Timing-wise I can do this in about a weeks time, other things going on here. Say, from Feb 1 on, anytime during first half of Feb, after that hosting guests here.

We got space for RV's/rigs here, or down the street at Don Chano's RV camp. Good place to kick off a grande loop with a couple good riders.

What say you moto-hombres?

[Edited on 1-23-2019 by MulegeAL]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-23-2019 at 10:47 AM

Al,
Sounds like an experienced plan....however, one week from now is too early for me...(bummer)....thanks for the reply....have fun, whoever goes...

I will be exploring Malarrimo next week....several approaches to be considered....:coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2019 at 12:11 PM

Al I don't ride bikes anymore I gave them all to my son and grandson in CO. I sure miss my XR250, it was setup perfect for me. But as someone said with age comes a cage and I'm happy with my Tacoma. Anyway my next trip to Baja appears to be April 12th. If we have time we may swing down to Mulege and try the trail to San Isidro. The last time in 2016 with John M I tried my best to get us lost but he wasn't having any of that. Party pooper.
Craig B

[*] posted on 1-23-2019 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

Photos to share?

San Isidro to Mulege 1.jpeg - 59kB

Here are a few

San Isidro to Mulege 2 resize.jpg - 44kB San Isidro to Mulege 5resize.jpg - 176kB
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2019 at 12:59 PM

for those interested here are two trip reports I did that include the Mulege to San Isidro trail. The first is San Isidro to Mulege and the second is Mulege to San Isidro. The fist also includes the Timbabichi run.

April 2012 http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=60000

April 2016 http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83006

[Edited on 1-23-2019 by TMW]
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2019 at 04:34 PM

TMW, well darn! Was hoping you were still riding motos down here.
Will keep the lights on for you, but likely back Norte by the time you show up here.

Will keep looking for a strong combo for this loop, or may just solo it again. Then nobody has to eat my dust.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.