Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Facebook --- and the "other" Baja site
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2019 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
"Talk Baja" is a very vibrant Facebook group that has about 40K members. It is the go-to place for up to date informative info for pretty much anything you can do/see in Baja.

Yeah, right, and one owner, and about six moderators, with one with their own idea what topics, ideas, or members who should be deleted, censored or banned.

Most of the other Baja Facebook, sites, have megalomaniac owners, or crazed owners who either censor bad news about Mexico, and we have Baja site, that censor the good news about Mexico! Some want to promote Baja, others want to tear down Baja, probably for some sick personal reasons.

Facebook, is one of the most evil corporations on the planet, who care nothing about your privacy. People, here think seem to think Facebook only follows your browsing history and then send you ads. They do much more than that.

Next time you sign onto Facebook, check out what Facebook, thinks it knows about you by " Access Your Information. " It's shocking what they know about you! Of course, not everything is correct, but they get a lot of stuff correct.

Once, I got curious, and wanted to know what happened to some of my old girlfriends or college girlfriends, and of course I turned to Facebook, and sometimes they were not even members of Facebook, but I used Facebook anyway. Now imagine what you could do with Facebook, if you wanted to stalk somebody.

If you care about your privacy I would suggest to stay away from Facebook.

[Edited on 1-27-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

Why do you, as such a frequent user, recommend others stay away. You must have other motivations.....did you get banned? hahahaha

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2019 at 11:44 AM

"Facebook, is one of the most evil corporations on the planet, who care nothing about your privacy. People, here think seem to think Facebook only follows your browsing history and then send you ads. They do much more than that."

Totally agree. Much, much more. Just a small sample of FB stories on just one web site - https://www.theatlantic.com/search/?q=facebook

I say anyone employed at FB has sold their soul to the devil.

"I'm too young to be this old!"
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-27-2019 at 12:04 PM

What are they paying?

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2019 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
"Facebook, is one of the most evil corporations on the planet, who care nothing about your privacy. People, here think seem to think Facebook only follows your browsing history and then send you ads. They do much more than that."

Totally agree. Much, much more. Just a small sample of FB stories on just one web site - https://www.theatlantic.com/search/?q=facebook

I say anyone employed at FB has sold their soul to the devil.

Isn't freedom wonderful. If you don't like it or are afraid of it you do not have to use it. You can even advertise to the world on other internet sites you personal likes and dislikes.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-27-2019 at 03:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Why do you, as such a frequent user, recommend others stay away. You must have other motivations.....did you get banned? hahahaha

I have never been banned from a Baja Facebook, group site, but that's only because I'm not a member of any Facebook, group site, although I from time to time monitor a few Facebook, group sites that are open to the public.

I have nothing against "Talk Baja" on Facebook, and wish Ron well. But that's doesn't mean, I agree with everything him and his team do over there, and I do think they can be overbearing at times, and they delete or censor too much content, simple because some have a different opinion than the masses, or it doesn't fit the theme of the site.

In general, Facebook, or their group sites, are usually not hard hitting news sites, and searching for specific information is cumbersome.

To me Facebook, is pretty much mostly all fluff, and it's like being in high school again, where you get points for having lots of friends, and putting up vacation or other fun photos. But lets face it, High School, wasn't a fun place for all of us.

Now if you want to keep it light, keep your profile private, and once in awhile put up photos of dead fish, I don't see the big harm, However, make no mistake about it, Facebook, has a dark side to it, they exploit you for monetarily gain, and they want to control you to buy their products, to vote for their favorite politicians, and they want to predict your behavior, and once they can predict your behavior, they own you. Cambridge Analytica, should have been a wake up call for everybody. Our future may be the Matrix.

Since Facebook, requires their members to use their real names, there are some people outside of Facebook, but are members of Facebook, and they used content for sinister reasons.

Now sometimes on regular, forums, you get into fights and disagreements with other members, but usually it ends right there, but with Facebook, you're using your real names, now imagine if you get into an online argument with a Facebook member, and it turns out he is also a psychopath.

Now you're going to have problems, because that psychopath, is going to know who you are, but he will also know who your friends and family are.

Hopefully, Greengoes, who is a long time member on "Baja Nomad" but now is moderator, of a little known Baja Facebook site, and a computer expert, although his skills are a bit dated. Greengoes, if he wanted could probably tell you what Facebook, and those with computer skills are capable of doing armed with only a computer, a mouse, and Facebook.

Norte, you have the wrong attitude, by saying, if you don't want to use Facebook, then just don't use it.

What you should be saying, is how can our politicians, keep us safe from being exploited from evil companies like Facebook?

The problem seems to be is most politicians, GOP or democrat, are up in age and tech challenged, and so CEO's like Mark Zuckerberg, gives them lip service, and runs circles around them.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2019 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I really like facebook. I find that it is a great way to keep in touch with my family and friends around the world.

totally agree, love it or leave it. its not rocket science.:yes:
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2019 at 04:38 PM

Wrong. Here are just two alternatives to using Google search:
https://www.startpage.com
https://duckduckgo.com/

And ads? I never see any ads. Am I the only one using uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger ??

Thanks Unbob.
I already have an ad blocker extension on my non-google browser, but it does let some ads through. UB and Badger seem to clinch it.

Search engines other than Google... It's a price you pay (or not). Google is one of the most efficient search English-language engines (if not THE most), and search results are presented conveniently, it's a fun to use.
Startpage.com is inferior.
Duckduck go.com looks better, I'll try it for a while.

As to "not using google products"... Is there anything better, or at least, closely comparable to Google Earth or Google Maps? ;)

Worries about FB... not sure. Under my tab Your Information -> "About You" there is nothing, except for avatar/icon that means nothing, and Search History (only FB searches) - that can be deleted. Don't spill your guts to thousands people that you don't know and you'll be fine, other than somebody hacking your PC and/or your accounts. Close that personal FB page, nobody needs it anyway :)
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2019 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by norte  

I have never been banned from a Baja Facebook, group site, but that's only because I'm not a member of any Facebook, group site, although I from time to time monitor a few Facebook, group sites that are open to the public.

I have nothing against "Talk Baja" on Facebook, and wish Ron well. But that's doesn't mean, I agree with everything him and his team do over there, and I do think they can be overbearing at times, and they delete or censor too much content, simple because some have a different opinion than the masses, or it doesn't fit the theme of the site.

In general, Facebook, or their group sites, are usually not hard hitting news sites, and searching for specific information is cumbersome.

To me Facebook, is pretty much mostly all fluff, and it's like being in high school again, where you get points for having lots of friends, and putting up vacation or other fun photos. But lets face it, High School, wasn't a fun place for all of us.

Now if you want to keep it light, keep your profile private, and once in awhile put up photos of dead fish, I don't see the big harm, However, make no mistake about it, Facebook, has a dark side to it, they exploit you for monetarily gain, and they want to control you to buy their products, to vote for their favorite politicians, and they want to predict your behavior, and once they can predict your behavior, they own you. Cambridge Analytica, should have been a wake up call for everybody. Our future may be the Matrix.

Since Facebook, requires their members to use their real names, there are some people outside of Facebook, but are members of Facebook, and they used content for sinister reasons.

Now sometimes on regular, forums, you get into fights and disagreements with other members, but usually it ends right there, but with Facebook, you're using your real names, now imagine if you get into an online argument with a Facebook member, and it turns out he is also a psychopath.

Now you're going to have problems, because that psychopath, is going to know who you are, but he will also know who your friends and family are.

Hopefully, Greengoes, who is a long time member on "Baja Nomad" but now is moderator, of a little known Baja Facebook site, and a computer expert, although his skills are a bit dated. Greengoes, if he wanted could probably tell you what Facebook, and those with computer skills are capable of doing armed with only a computer, a mouse, and Facebook.

Norte, you have the wrong attitude, by saying, if you don't want to use Facebook, then just don't use it.

What you should be saying, is how can our politicians, keep us safe from being exploited from evil companies like Facebook?

The problem seems to be is most politicians, GOP or democrat, are up in age and tech challenged, and so CEO's like Mark Zuckerberg, gives them lip service, and runs circles around them.

Having politicians keep us safe from the evil internet sites is promoting government censorship which I do not agree with.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2019 at 01:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Wrong. Here are just two alternatives to using Google search:
https://www.startpage.com
https://duckduckgo.com/

And ads? I never see any ads. Am I the only one using uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger ??
Search engines other than Google... It's a price you pay (or not). Google is one of the most efficient search English-language engines (if not THE most), and search results are presented conveniently, it's a fun to use.
Startpage.com is inferior.
Duckduck go.com looks better, I'll try it for a while.
Re Startpage, not sure why you say it's inferior - they actually use the Google search engine. https://www.startpage.com/en/ (scroll down to 'The Tech').

You can’t beat Google when it comes to online search. So we’re paying them to use their brilliant search results in order to remove all trackers and logs. The result: The world’s best and most private search engine. Only now you can search without ads following you around, recommending products you’ve already bought. And no more data mining by companies with dubious intentions.

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2019 at 07:57 PM

Recommended reading for all FB users.

He Reported on Facebook. Now He Approaches It With Caution.

Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 08:30 AM

Yea, that's the group I thought. When it started it was pretty decent, but everybody with an opposing view got banned so now it's just ads, and people pushing businesses instead of discussions. Too bad.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 02:56 PM

Re Startpage, not sure why you say it's inferior - they actually use the Google search engine. https://www.startpage.com/en/ (scroll down to 'The Tech').

You can’t beat Google when it comes to online search. So we’re paying them to use their brilliant search results in order to remove all trackers and logs. The result: The world’s best and most private search engine. Only now you can search without ads following you around, recommending products you’ve already bought. And no more data mining by companies with dubious intentions.

Bleak presentation compared to Google. Also, fewer results per page. Will look more into it when will have time. It's hard to beat Google search engine, indeed.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 03:21 PM

Recommended reading for all FB users.

He Reported on Facebook. Now He Approaches It With Caution.

Now I see where I did it right. It's not so much about FB itself, but about what you use it for, and how.

I rarely use FB to log into anything if there is a different way to log. Never use it from devices other than PC, and on my PC the FB Location tab is disabled. Win 10 is asking now and then (or browser maybe) whether I want to "save this location", and I always say No.

Any forum or webmaster has access to his site statistics, but keeping all the user's activity on dozens groups/forums that he might belong to, on one big platform - this concept always looked fishy to me and was the reason enough to limit the exposure.

Besides, FB is such an inconvenient interface, even on a big PC screen. Hard to understand its appeal on small devices - maybe 15 year olds see something here that I don't :)...
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2019 at 07:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Bleak presentation compared to Google. Also, fewer results per page. Will look more into it when will have time. It's hard to beat Google search engine, indeed.
Re Startpage, click the "hamburger" icon in upper right corner for drop-down menu - 'Settings' are listed there. Results per page, theme, privacy and safety, filters, etc can all be changed there.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 11:32 PM

Thanks, Unbob. I am testing Startpage right now. Had to go back to this thread since forgot the engine name, - doesn't stand out like G-word :)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.