Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Off road gps?
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 04:31 PM
Off road gps?

I'm looking for a good off road gps that will work for here in baja, and mostly baja norte. Something reasonably priced and easy to use. Has to be satellite based no cell coverage around here. Otherwise I would use my phone and Google maps.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 04:37 PM

Your phone will work with no cell service, I use mine all of the time. Search this site or ADVRIDER for ton's of info. All you need is one of the free app's.. Phones are way better then GPS'S these days, even a deadicated phone will be cheaper..
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 04:55 PM

JZ to the white courtesy phone, please! :D

I like beer, better than most people.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Your phone will work with no cell service, I use mine all of the time.

Amazing but true. I went for my walk the other day and shut down the cell reception, mapped my path just like a GPS. Who knew?

I did download the OsmAndMaps app for Mexico, California, and Wyoming (next summer!).

You might try the OsmAnd app, it was easy, even for me, a 21st Century Luddite.

John

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by John Harper]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 05:56 PM

If you have an Android phone, Back Country Navigator is the best. It's really bad ass.

Gaia is really good as well and works on iPhone and Android.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Gaia is really good as well and works on iPhone and Android.

Is that better than the Osman app? I'm kinda just getting started on this too.

John
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 06:02 PM

Btw, you can cache Google Maps for offline use as well. Very easy to do. Good for basic roads and stuff.

The GPS apps are better for offroading, hiking, etc.

Navionics the best app for boating. The maps of the SoC are excellent.

Standalone GPS's have gone the way of the dinosaur.

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 06:11 PM

With Gaia, you preload whatever background maps you want -- in this case, a satellite view. It's easy to overlay waypoints, tracks, etc. on top of the map which takes a lot of the guesswork out of back-country navigation.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 06:22 PM

The other cool thing Gaia can do is track you with full stats. Again, the track is very easy to overlay on Google Maps, etc.

If you were to fly from LAX to AUS, your speed and elevation profiles might look like this:

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 06:30 PM

If I remember correct with OSM you have to down load the US map and then others (Baja) after that. I use an extra phone for all of my ridding in Baja, way better than Garmin... Just start trying stuff and down loading tracks to see how it works. We have some tracks on here that you can use.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 06:43 PM

If I remember correct with OSM you have to down load the US map and then others (Baja) after that.

Yes, I think I got one US state (California) first, then I could get Mexico and Wyoming. I believe I still have 2 free state (foreign?) maps left. I'm still a paper map guy so it's a tough transition at times.

I've barely crawled from a cave it seems. That Gaia stuff looks incredible.

John

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by John Harper]
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 07:01 PM

I just started riding again a couple of months ago, riding solo I got lost too many times in the mountains at the beginning, I tried using a couple old garmin gps units at the start, then motion x, I have ended up using Gaia, I bought an iPhone 5s for $70 on eBay and also have it loaded on all other phones and iPad. It’s really nice to sit and use the iPad to look at maps and plot routes, all devices auto update when opened up, I’m still using the $20 version, I’m pretty happy with it, it seems the upgrade offers some more map download options and map layering.
Does anybody have recommendations for handlebar mounts for phones?

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by pacsur]
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacsur  
I just started riding again a couple of months ago, riding solo I got lost too many times in the mountains at the beginning, I tried using a couple old garmin gps units at the start, then motion x, I have ended up using Gaia, I bought an iPhone 5s for $70 on eBay and also have it loaded on all other phones and iPad. It’s really nice to sit and use the iPad to look at maps and plot routes, all devices auto update when opened up, I’m still using the $20 version, I’m pretty happy with it, it seems the upgrade offers some more map download options and map layering.

I have a buddy that does the same, I'll have to tell him about Gaia. He'll have a chance to use it and then I can learn from him. Thanks.

John
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 07:36 PM

Not cheap, but the best mount I have found is the perfect squeeze! 1800 miles in Baja last year and never came loose... I still love paper maps just because I'm visual and like a back up..
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 08:24 PM

Not cheap, but the best mount I have found is the perfect squeeze! 1800 miles in Baja last year and never came loose... I still love paper maps just because I'm visual and like a back up..

That looks nice but cost more than my phone...but seeing they sell a small tablet mount is good news, the 5s I’m using is small but works, Ive been thinking about an iPad mini with gsm but couldn’t find a mount, looks like a used iPad and the mount together for $250-$300, still cheaper than a good stand alone gps I think.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2019 at 09:58 PM

You can get great cell phone mounts on Amazon for under $15. The most important thing is for it to have a "web" that goes on the corners of your phone. With that, your phone isn't coming off no matter how rough it gets.

I run my S9 plus with case using this one. It has 4.5 stars with 5K reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWDCSIZ/?m=A13ERCCN9HCJ61

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by JZ]

DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 06:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
With Gaia, you preload whatever background maps you want -- in this case, a satellite view. It's easy to overlay waypoints, tracks, etc. on top of the map which takes a lot of the guesswork out of back-country navigation.

Can you give me a quick tutorial on loading satellite maps, please? Also, will it work with Bing or just Google?
I use both Gaia and Back country navigator extensively. I would like to learn this option.

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by DouglasP]

I like beer, better than most people.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 08:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I'm looking for a good off road gps that will work for here in baja, and mostly baja norte. Something reasonably priced and easy to use. Has to be satellite based no cell coverage around here. Otherwise I would use my phone and Google maps.

== ==
Bike or car?
I am a car guy and I want a big screen. These days that means a tablet. Small screen phones don't cut it for me. My antique Lowrance is a 7" and my tablet is an 8" Android. And mounts cost more for a big tablet. I use Ram mount.
JZ uses Android, but Apple pads also work. Then choose the app of your choice. Probably follow the lead of JZ unless you have a close friend with other APP or platform. All the APPs I have played with all allow loading/saving/sharing tracks. Maps vary so at least load them and look at the maps at various zoom levels and see what you think. All are useful offline.
As us usual the learning curve is huge. So just try a couple.
If you have a locator/tracker for emergencies then use the Inreach map. Its map called Earthmate is not great.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 08:20 AM

Wow I'm glad I asked this question, I was getting ready to either spend a bunch of money on a new off road gps or put more money into an old Garmin gps 72 that I still have. I have an iphone 6 so I'll look into some mounts and the Gala app. Thanks again for all the input.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 09:04 AM

Wow, just downloaded the Gaia GPS app, looks killer! Got all the contour lines and trails for free. Looks better than OSM already.

John
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.