Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Off road gps?
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Wow, just downloaded the Gaia GPS app, looks killer! Got all the contour lines and trails for free. Looks better than OSM already.

John

Much easier to work with also, IMHO!

I like beer, better than most people.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DouglasP  
Wow, just downloaded the Gaia GPS app, looks killer! Got all the contour lines and trails for free. Looks better than OSM already.

John

Much easier to work with also, IMHO!

Definitely seems that way, very impressive.

John
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 10:42 AM

Pro tip from a mistake I made. Don't use MotionX. That app is just awful in regards to what it takes to get tracks from Google Earth to it. It can't read kmz files natively and needs to got through 2-3 steps to get them imported.

BCN is my favorite, but Android only. They are working on BCN XE which is iPhone & Android. It's in Beta now, but missing some important features.

So, if iPhone, go with Gaia. (Although Samsung >>> Apple for phones).

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 11:01 AM

Can you give me a quick tutorial on loading satellite maps, please? Also, will it work with Bing or just Google?
I use both Gaia and Back country navigator extensively. I would like to learn this option.

You don't import Google or Bing maps -- a good selection of maps is available from within Gaia.

To add/change/delete maps, start by clicking on the icon in the upper-right:

On the resulting page, you can see the maps you have selected at the top (Visible), complete with sliders to adjust opacity. At the bottom part of the page (Layers) are a selection of maps which you might want to display. Once you have moved maps to the top, you can download portions of those maps for use off-line.

DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Can you give me a quick tutorial on loading satellite maps, please? Also, will it work with Bing or just Google?
I use both Gaia and Back country navigator extensively. I would like to learn this option.

You don't import Google or Bing maps -- a good selection of maps is available from within Gaia.

To add/change/delete maps, start by clicking on the icon in the upper-right:

On the resulting page, you can see the maps you have selected at the top (Visible), complete with sliders to adjust opacity. At the bottom part of the page (Layers) are a selection of maps which you might want to display. Once you have moved maps to the top, you can download portions of those maps for use off-line.

Thanks! I've used those. Guess I misread your earlier post. I somehow was thinking there was a way to pull a Google sat map in.

I like beer, better than most people.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 12:25 PM

I'm looking at the Gaia on the app store and is the $20 version the one I want for just doing some off road and cross country exploring down here in Baja? There are several apps and it is a little confusing. There is also an app for hiking, hunting, also a map bundle so not sure what I need.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 01:59 PM

I assume I need be a Premium member to get the "Satellite with Labels" and the "USGS Topo" add on maps?

I see Gaia Topo on the top bar, in gray. I assume that is my default "free" map? Then just scroll to which one I want to use if I buy them? That simple?

This Gaia is a lot easier to figure out than OSM, so far. Thank you all for this suggestion as an app, looks like it will work great for me.

LarryC - Just download the free one (you can upgrade later) and check it out. It shows topo features in Baja, I checked out the road to Mike's and it was quite accurate and detailed. Mike's was not identified (maybe if I waited for better resolution?) on the map, but it was easy to discern where it was, surprisingly accurate IMO. Gonna play with it this weekend, I've already looked at some familiar Sierra spots.

John

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by John Harper]
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 03:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Pro tip from a mistake I made. Don't use MotionX. That app is just awful in regards to what it takes to get tracks from Google Earth to it. It can't read kmz files natively and needs to got through 2-3 steps to get them imported.

BCN is my favorite, but Android only. They are working on BCN XE which is iPhone & Android. It's in Beta now, but missing some important features.

So, if iPhone, go with Gaia. (Although Samsung >>> Apple for phones).

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by JZ]

JZ,

Am I understanding this correctly...with Back Country Navigator you can import tracks from Google Earth and it looks like on Gaia you can not?

Thanks for your help on this...Cool topic and great info!

On a side note, I recently bought a Lowrance Carbon GPS for my off-road truck and it sucks compared to my older Lowrance. I'm used to Lowrance because that is what I have in my boat with the Navionics map. I had the Murdock Nav Baja map and it was awesome and showed dang near every dirt road and trail. It won't work in my new Gen 3 Lowrance, so I had to buy the Baja map from PCI and it sucks compared to my old maps...Wish I knew about this sooner!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 03:44 PM

It's very easy to build maps and import them into Gaia as .kml or .gpx files - I do it all the time for our race team, adding chase roads from the highway to the race course (makes it easy if you have never been on that road before, or if it's dark). This is an example of the '18 Baja 1000 course near Ojos Negros overlaid on Gaia:

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
It's very easy to build maps and import them into Gaia as .kml or .gpx files - I do it all the time for our race team, adding chase roads from the highway to the race course (makes it easy if you have never been on that road before, or if it's dark). This is an example of the '18 Baja 1000 course near Ojos Negros overlaid on Gaia:

So you build it on Google Earth and then convert it?

It looks like I have to subscribe to Gaia...Do you recommend the regular membership or premium?

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 04:06 PM

Yes, build stuff on Google Maps. I've never used Google Earth to build stuff, but I'd imagine it's the same?

I will import the finished file into both Gaia and my truck's Lowrance GPS -- I think each have advantages/disadvantages, and I like the redundancy.

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 04:18 PM

Gotta say Gaia is the stuff. Downloaded it the night before my last Baja trip, messed around with it for a couple hours, imported a GE, KML, file I have I call Baja Points Of Interest and wow! trails waypoints all with clickable names and descriptions I had put in in GE. I ended up giving them the $39 for the year(discounted to $35), seemed like it was worth it because you got to do a few extra things which made a difference.

I am using it in the field on an Ipad mini with an external bluetooth antenna for the GPS and I don't think it ever missed a beat. Think it's time to unwire the Lowrance and free up some dash space.

Pacifico, you can do all the work on GE but the Gaia site seems easier to build routes and add waypoints. GE probably has a better imagery but the amount of roads I see in Baja on Gaia is pretty impressive. In Gaia you can also see public trails posted by other people and simply click them to save them to your library of trail.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 04:51 PM

Awesome! Thanks guys!

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 07:24 PM

Thanks, now you have me looking at Gaia! I'm already using OSMAND and had Gaia on my phone but never got very far with it.... How do you get it to show your location? Can you import tracks from your email (that how I do it in OSMAND) ?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

So you build it on Google Earth and then convert it?

It looks like I have to subscribe to Gaia...Do you recommend the regular membership or premium?

You can build from GE or Google Maps. They import directly on Gaia and BCN.

[Edited on 1-26-2019 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 07:59 PM

OK, I've got a little more figured out. I assume you guys(stuck) and others are running the paid version because of the detail you have? I still haven't figured out importing tracks?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
]In Gaia you can also see public trails posted by other people and simply click them to save them to your library of trail.

I haven't checked this out yet. Will give it a look.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2019 at 06:12 AM

Do I need to download the premium maps for them to work offline? The Gaia tutorials are very confusing, at least the text instructions. Does the free Gaia map work offline? It seemed to be working when I put phone on airplane mode and shut off WiFi.

I'm a bit confused about what to do to use the map offline, without any connection to internet.

John
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-26-2019 at 08:42 AM

Avenza Maps in another app that works well. Just purchase the map of the area you want.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2019 at 08:42 AM

Do I need to download the premium maps for them to work offline? The Gaia tutorials are very confusing, at least the text instructions. Does the free Gaia map work offline? It seemed to be working when I put phone on airplane mode and shut off WiFi.

I'm a bit confused about what to do to use the map offline, without any connection to internet.

John

With all these type of apps you need to download the map section you want to use offline.

YouTube in generally better to learn stuff than manuals.

https://youtu.be/xaM39xMqpwU

[Edited on 1-26-2019 by JZ]

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.