Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Informal Survey - Riding a motorcycle down baja
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2019 at 06:02 PM
Informal Survey - Riding a motorcycle down baja

Deportes started a thread about riding a motorcycle down Baja and he received many comments. Ride this or ride that bike and it got me wondering...

Who here has ridden a motorcycle down Baja without chase vehicles in one trip?

What year was it?

What did you ride?

From the border to at least La Paz since some riders will then catch the ferry from there to the mainland. Bonus if you started north of the border.

Be interesting to see who has done it since riding a motorcycle from a base for day trips seems different than a multi-day trip with everything that you are bringing strapped on to you or the bike.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2019 at 06:27 PM

Never ridden with a chase truck. About 20 trips ridding in Baja on everything from a Suzuki DRZ 400(06) and (10), Honda xr650R (01), KTM 990 adventure (08) and now a 2014 KTM 500 EXC, best bike I've ever owned..
I really enjoy the camping in Baja but have started doing more single track each year so the load had gotten smaller and liter. The other part for me is it is still a vacation and I enjoy the food and interaction with the locals. When camping we tend to stay more remote.
A 200 mile range is good for most areas of Baja if you don't get to lost. I run a 3.2 gallon tank and will start out with another gallon in an oil jug or other container. Many of the new FI bike can get 60 mpg or better if you aren't to hard on the gas.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-28-2019 at 07:31 PM

Also never a chase truck and most solo. Most rides round trip from here on the Central Coast to Mulege starting in 1974. About 1000 miles each way. At least 50 round trips with 10 or more of them going to La Paz or further to the Cape region. First ride in 1974.
List of bikes I can remember that I've taken on those rides:
1973 Honda CB750
1981 Honda CB750*
BMW R80gs
Suzuki GS850g
Kawi KLR650*
Suzuki GSX1100g*
Honda XL350
Suzuki 650 V-Strom
BMW R1100gs
Yamaha XS1100
*Bikes I still own and ride.

Also currently have a Suzuki DR650 but it has not seen Baja.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2019 at 07:32 PM

Sounds like fun, but have you ridden from the border area to La Paz or Cabo carrying all your gear?

I know that thousands have done the trip, but what about some the posters on here?

KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2019 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Sounds like fun, but have you ridden from the border area to La Paz or Cabo carrying all your gear?

Yes.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2019 at 11:01 PM

Are you considering a trip on a bike from top to tip then back up the mainland? If you are, then a a few questions are in order.
If not, then ignore the questions :cool:

What kind of bike are you riding, what kind of terrain are you expecting; single track, double track or pavement, can you ride the bike you're taking in sand, and by sand I mean deep sand (not just a 1 inch sand covered road) and how much gear are you expecting to take (in pounds and volume) and can you loft the front wheel to launch over rock steps?

I've been as far as La Paz on my ktm 500 only once... no problems with carrying my heavy stuff in the small Giant Loop bags, a tank bag and a backpack. On the rear fender I strap on a tarp and a compact sleeping bag in the event I have to spend a night in the dez or on a beach... it does happen.

I've also travel every year in November (Baja 1000 time) starting in Yuma and spend a week riding in Northern Baja for the past 11 years. Same setup as the La Paz trip. I've learned to travel with minimal stuff, ride with other riders with similar bikes to share tools and spare parts weight.

We've considered a chase truck, but only to make our trip a 5 star trip by camping. Chase truck carries tents, beer and food (and wives if they're willing to venture into the awesome outback of Baja)

I've also taken my ktm 990 with panniers throughout northern Baja a dozen times, but stick to non gnarly stuff, as I'm usually travelling solo.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 05:48 AM

Who here has ridden a motorcycle down Baja without chase vehicles in one trip? I have done four week long trips carrying all my gear. We did plan it well so we only needed 100 miles of range, stayed in hotels and ate at restaurants (except for some trail food). We covered around 700 miles each time, did not go all the way down and back but could have sustained that given the gear we had.

What year was it? All 4 trips between 2009 and 2016.

What did you ride? A KTM EXC 450, mostly stock except a desert tank, skid plate and hand guards. I had front and rear fender packs mostly for tools/tubes, a backpack and a 30 liter giant loop. Total load was 40-45 lbs. Other bikes on my trip were an XR400 (good range), EXC 300 (always worried about fuel) and a DRZ-400. All light bikes, but worked well for the trails we rode.

We have had a chase on more recent trips, which is nice but not necessary. One way to reduce gear is to bring minimal cloths and wash a set each evening. The dry desert will dry them by morning.

Have fun!
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 10:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  

Yes.

Sorry about the confusion, my comment was meant for advrider and not you...
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
Are you considering a trip on a bike from top to tip then back up the mainland? If you are, then a a few questions are in order.
If not, then ignore the questions :cool:

What kind of bike are you riding, .....but stick to non gnarly stuff, as I'm usually travelling solo.

I probably should, but no I am not planning a trip like that....
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 10:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Who here has ridden a motorcycle down Baja without chase vehicles in one trip? I have done four week long trips carrying all my gear. We did plan it well so we only needed 100 miles of range,.....
Have fun!

Close enough, back a few years a 100 mile range wouldn't do it though....
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 01:13 PM

i have done the length of the peninsula about 20 times over40 years. from 200lb motos to big fat GS BMWS. never used a chase rig. i must say i have considered it though. it is definitely more fun to ride without a bunch of gear strapped to the motorbike. i no longer take camp gear. all hotels these days.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 02:25 PM

My first Baja trip on a motorcycle was in 2009, I think.

From LA to La Paz, ferry over to mainland, and then down to South America.

I rode a 2007 R1200 BMW GS Adventure.

No chase vehicle.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Who here has ridden a motorcycle down Baja without chase vehicles in one trip? I have done four week long trips carrying all my gear. We did plan it well so we only needed 100 miles of range,.....
Have fun!

Close enough, back a few years a 100 mile range wouldn't do it though....

We generally have 150 miles of fuel, but plan 100 miles a day of as much single track as we can get in. Agreed though, I would like at least 200 miles range for a rip to the tip. As easy as a bigger tank!
missadventuring

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 03:23 PM

I've ridden my KLR fully geared up and loaded for camping and also trailered my KTM 450 EXC for short rides. I meet lots of folks on Harleys, GS ADVs, KTM 1190s. Also lots of KTM 450s and equivalents. A few KTM 690s which seem a good compromise.

I stopped in Mulege and never continued farther. People tell me they wish they'd stopped in Loreto and spent more time in this area :-)

Again (yes again, and again, and again) I met a guy on an 1190 attempting trails and switchbacks off-road who tumbled and took a trip to the hospital (Loreto). These big bikes - you cannot respond to a quick turn in the rocks and dirt bottoming out in sand like you can on a 450 or lower and you go down hard. I've met so many riders emerging from the middle of nowhere bearing cracked ribs and worse.

I've never taken a motorcycle tour or used a chase truck in my life so far of 40+ years riding in various places, civilized and no so, in the world, on a variety of bikes including a Moto Guzzi Breva 750 sport touring bike that was admirable on iffy dirt roads to a couple of Ural sidecars and equivalent.

I would like to take my 450 off-road all the way down. I've known a few who have done it, criss-crossing the 1, who have loved camping and getting lost and the experiences with the locals.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 03:58 PM

Having a chase truck is far better. It carries all your beer, food, gas, camping gear, radios, fireworks, tequila, tools, drones, ice, water, zodiac, and beer.

[Edited on 1-30-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

missadventuring

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 04:22 PM

And don't forget beer.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 04:25 PM

I've never felt any need for beer. I've taken a lot of flak for that for some reason.
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 05:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Having a chase truck is far better. It carries all your beer, food, camping gear, radios, fireworks, tequila, tools, drones, ice, water, zodiac, and beer.

My preference has always been for unsupported solo riding wherever I ride. The biggest factor is how other people react to solo riders. They are much more likely to approach me at a gas station or in a small town cafe and start a conversation. Another thing I have found is that the solo rider is not seen as threatening in any way compared to a group especially in back country areas. The hospitality I have been shown by people in rural Baja has been exceptional and I don't think would happen with a larger group. I also make an effort regarding both my bikes and my riding gear to just look like an ordinary guy which means that me, my bike and my riding gear look a little old and beat up. At the military checkpoints when they see that I am a bit older the most common question is "solo?" There is a little surprise to see an older rider alone. I have found that a spirit of adventure is admired by the locals in Baja.

Last year I did only one ride to Mulege/Loreto because of some shoulder problems but I have gotten better and will be doing a couple of trips in the next few months. I'm almost 75 now but hope to keep riding for a few more years.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Having a chase truck is far better. It carries all your beer, food, camping gear, radios, fireworks, tequila, tools, drones, ice, water, zodiac, and beer.

My preference has always been for unsupported solo riding wherever I ride. The biggest factor is how other people react to solo riders. They are much more likely to approach me at a gas station or in a small town cafe and start a conversation. Another thing I have found is that the solo rider is not seen as threatening in any way compared to a group especially in back country areas. The hospitality I have been shown by people in rural Baja has been exceptional and I don't think would happen with a larger group. I also make an effort regarding both my bikes and my riding gear to just look like an ordinary guy which means that me, my bike and my riding gear look a little old and beat up. At the military checkpoints when they see that I am a bit older the most common question is "solo?" There is a little surprise to see an older rider alone. I have found that a spirit of adventure is admired by the locals in Baja.

Last year I did only one ride to Mulege/Loreto because of some shoulder problems but I have gotten better and will be doing a couple of trips in the next few months. I'm almost 75 now but hope to keep riding for a few more years.

Way to go, Kurt. I hope that I do the same when I am almost 75.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 05:59 PM

[/rquote]

I always travel with 2 MX nationals from Sonora. They get us invited to all kinds of fun stuff with the locals.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.