Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Informal Survey - Riding a motorcycle down baja
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 06:06 PM

Did a fourteen day trip to Cabo and back a few years ago on the 990. We had all of our camping gear with us, no chase truck. Most of our other rides are only as far down as Loreto on the 500's. There are plenty of trails between here and there that I don't feel a need to go to Lapaz.
We are planning a 6-8 month to Argentina after I retire, unsupported and ship the bikes back at the end. I agree about there being better interaction with solo or small groups. It would seem like a lot of work to have to meet up with a truck every day, we never know where we will end up! We adjust as we go, depending on weather, bikes, fun factor and how sore we are, LOL...
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 06:22 PM

The only time I've ever ridden a motorcycle solo was for a few years after I retired. It was at the Jawbone Canyon OHV area north of CA City, nobody to ride with. After a few get offs and spin outs I hurt my hip pretty bad in a freakish tip over going up a sand hill. No body around to help. I finally got back to my truck and was able to load it. That's when I gave my bike to my son. I can understand the feeling of being by yourself riding the bike I felt the same way when I was desert racing. I get a similar feeling when I'm off road solo in my 4x4 truck and as JZ said I have most of the comforts of home with me plus plenty of gas.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 07:17 PM

We drove by Jawbone yesterday coming back from Mammoth. Haven't been for about 3 years, but spent plenty of time riding there with the kids. Cool spot.

One night I didn't check the weather and 50+ mph winds kicked up. Snapped the tent poles and all the kids ended up sleeping in my suburban while I rode it out in a half collapsed tent. The next weekend I went out and got a tent with thick poles.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 07:42 PM

Yep love that area too, we stay in Ransburg... Check it out, it's run by a guy called GOAT Brecker or Becker, cool story. You can get some deep sand ridding in there if you need it.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 07:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The only time I've ever ridden a motorcycle solo was for a few years after I retired. It was at the Jawbone Canyon OHV area north of CA City, nobody to ride with. After a few get offs and spin outs I hurt my hip pretty bad in a freakish tip over going up a sand hill. No body around to help. I finally got back to my truck and was able to load it. That's when I gave my bike to my son. I can understand the feeling of being by yourself riding the bike I felt the same way when I was desert racing. I get a similar feeling when I'm off road solo in my 4x4 truck and as JZ said I have most of the comforts of home with me plus plenty of gas.

Yup, most of my off-road stuff these days is in our old Explorer loaded with camping gear. If I am off pavement with a bike it is only on good dirt roads. I know when to turn around! I do still love long distance riding even though the number of miles each day has decreased a bit over the years.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 06:38 AM

some of my best memories of rides have been ones i did solo. folks are so open and ready to engage with a solo rider, whether it is natives in the Arctic or the hill tribes of Laos. of course i choose to ride slower, and more carefully when alone. it has been the case that every time i get "bucked off" and get hurt i am riding with pals.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 10:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Yep love that area too, we stay in Ransburg... Check it out, it's run by a guy called GOAT Brecker or Becker, cool story. You can get some deep sand ridding in there if you need it.

The Pro Motocrosser from the early 1980's?

That is cool!
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by missadventuring  
I've ridden my KLR fully geared up and loaded for camping and also trailered....never taken a motorcycle tour or used a chase truck in my life so far of 40+ years riding in various places, civilized and no so, in the world, on a variety of bikes including a Moto Guzzi Breva 750 sport touring bike that was admirable on iffy dirt roads to a couple of Ural sidecars .... getting lost and the experiences with the locals.

Sounds like a lifetime worth of adventures there....
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  

My preference has always been for unsupported solo riding wherever I ride. The biggest factor is how other people react to solo riders. They are much more likely to approach me at a gas station or in a small town cafe and start a conversation. Another thing I have found is that the solo rider is not seen as threatening in any way compared to a group especially in back country areas. The hospitality I have been shown by people in rural Baja has been exceptional and I don't think would happen with a larger group. .... almost 75 now but hope to keep riding for a few more years.

Another treasure trove of stories that, I believe, many on here would like to hear about.

Met a old guy in who's home base was Grants Pass, Oregon that was in his mid to late seventies that would ride up to the small motorcycle shop where I was moonlighting at. I would only see him every 2 or 3 months which seemed a little odd.

The bike was a Honda NX250 with an obscene amount of miles on it.

I asked the shop owner about him and he said he goes out and does these long rides for weeks at a time, just him and that well broken in 250.

He would go up to Canada and Alaska, across the USA, and deep down into Mexico and Central America on that 250.

If I only would have been smart enough to get some stories out of him when he would stop by the shop.

Pretty much anything we done has been done before so there are very few true 1rst's in these times....

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
, EXC 300

Have fun!

Dude, someone rode a 2 stroke that whole way? I've been considering hauling down my 250 & 300 for fun in the desert, never thought of trying to run it all on the 2 smoke!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 06:46 PM

Fatboy, that is the guy! We rented one of his houses when we were there and I recognized him. When I asked him he was very nice and we talked bikes for a while, small world, one of my childhood heroes...
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 08:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Fatboy, that is the guy! We rented one of his houses when we were there and I recognized him. When I asked him he was very nice and we talked bikes for a while, small world, one of my childhood heroes...

It is so cool to meet 'our' own personal heroes in whatever they do.

I wrenched just a tiny bit for Talon Vohland, and I was able to meet guys like Jeff Ward, Ricky Johnson, Guy Cooper among others.
Italianewbie

[*] posted on 2-25-2019 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
I've never felt any need for beer. I've taken a lot of flak for that for some reason.

I’m planning a Baja ride, my first. I will be looking for a companion that does not drink. I have not posted yet but I’m expecting heavy flaming. Weird....
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2019 at 08:58 PM

No reason you should get flamed for not being a drinker. To each their own, I like my beer so I'm not your guy but I'm sure there are plenty that would be interested. Post up some info and I'm sure you will find a ridding buddy..
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2019 at 01:56 PM

There is drinking and then there is DRINKING!

I do not mind folks that do the first but not such a big fan of the folks that do the second usually.

One of my riding buddies was typical college frat boy who thought a good weekend required at least one keg, if not several, but when it was riding or racing time it was never an issue.

While I have 2 or 3 beers a year some years, just not my thing.

I probably wouldn't make that a hard and fast rule for a riding partner if they can control it but it is your trip, your rules, so as ADVRIDER says "post up....".
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.