Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Passports / visas
jkruk
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 06:16 PM
Passports / visas

A friend just arrived from Colorado, he and wife passed through Mexicali and did not know they needed to stop at immigration to hav their passports stamped and get a visa. They are here in Punta chivato ! What must we do? Any advise is appreciated. Have contacted Nadia in Mulegé
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 06:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jkruk  
What must we do? Any advise is appreciated. Have contacted Nadia in Mulegé

Nothing. You'll be fine. 99% of the time no one is asking to see your FMM.

Only exceptions are when getting an import permit for a car/boat, putting a boat in a marina, flying back from MX to the US, and the like.

We almost always get one (maybe 2-3 times didn't out of a 100 trips), but if I was in Mulege already I wouldn't worry about it at all. If they are down for an extended period of time that would be a different story.

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 06:42 PM

I would agree with JZ, it's required and you should have it. Many will say your insurance won't be valid but that is only the main land Mexico , not Baja. If asked for it you could be fined for not having it, maybe! Enjoy vacation...
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 07:18 PM

that's what many visitors to the US think - 99% of the time nobody will ask
but then...

Harald Pietschmann
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 07:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
that's what many visitors to the US think - 99% of the time nobody will ask
but then...

95% of the time you aren't going to get hurt riding a dirt bike in the middle of the Baja desert, but then...

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 08:48 PM

Life is short, live it....
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 09:31 PM

If your company is staying for more than a few weeks and they are not feeling comfortable, take a ride to Guerro Negro, I believe Bancomer will sort things out. But as others say, i wouldn't sweat it. I always try and keep things legit, why not. Maybe tell them to stop at the Guerro Negro immigration on the way north and sort out the paperwork so they can feel good about heading home
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 09:34 PM

[rquote]Many will say your insurance won't be valid but that is only the main land Mexico , not Baja. [/rquote]

I've never heard nor read of that invalidating Mex Ins,
but it is listed in most/all Mex policies, don't remember any
info that it actually has happened. Not sure, in the
unlikely event, if involved in an accident and Fed Hwy Cop asked for an fmm and I was not able to present one, would be
a pleasant experience. I would enjoy the trip and not
dwell on it in. I seem to remember, unconfirmed, a post about getting an fmm at Santa Rosilia Immigration

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by sancho]

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by sancho]

mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 10:01 PM

There have been random immigration checks set up on Mex 1 between San Bruno and Sta. Rosalia this year. It is random and can happen quickly.
We have had some residents have Nadia go with them to Loreto and get it taken care of. Don't remember the cost but she can get it done.
Hopefully she will contact you with information.

Then again you might never see an immigration person for months.

I am not sure that our ole buddy in Sta. Rosalia will actually get you an FMM.
Just what we know has happened in the last few months...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 11:47 PM

The way I look at this is: "It's never a problem until there is a problem"
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 12:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
The way I look at this is: "It's never a problem until there is a problem"

Profound. You're never the one in a car crash in Baja, until you are in one. Cartels don't hurt tourists, until they do.

daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 01:15 AM

In all my winters in Mainland Mexico and three or four times in Baja, have never been asked to show the FMM, or its predecessor, period. But I've always made a point to buy these, never failed. and I never worried about it once I had bought it. Every time, don't forget where you're headed, what you must do to meet the standard (not yours, but the country you're entering.) Don't take crossing a border lightly. And just where did I learn that trick? At the American borders, and within 100 miles inside those borders.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jkruk  
A friend just arrived from Colorado, he and wife passed through Mexicali and did not know they needed to stop at immigration to hav their passports stamped and get a visa. They are here in Punta chivato ! What must we do? Any advise is appreciated. Have contacted Nadia in Mulegé

What must you do? Go have fun, that's what.

Making America Great Again
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 08:51 AM

Personally, if I was going that far into Baja, I would have stopped and got the FMM, which is not really a visa, but a tourist permit.

That said, like a few others have said, I wouldn't worry about it. In fact the majority of foreigners, do not stop and get a FMM, especially if they are only making day trips into Baja.

However, on many forums, and Facebook, Baja group sites, you will have many uninformed members repeat the mantra, "It's the law, it's the law!

And they will tell you that you must turn around go back to the border, and get your passport stamped, and FMM( tourist permit)

Then to really put the fear into you, they will tell you if you get into an auto accident, that your insurance company will not pay for the damages, and if the accident was your fault, the Mexican police will put you in jail and keep you there until you come up with the money to pay for the auto damages.

Of course it's nothing but pure myth, about getting into an accident without a FMM, that keeps getting passed on from site to site, without any evidence this would actually happen.

Insurance companies, can be really bad, but to think they would try to deny a claim over something as immaterial and minor as not having a FMM, is laughable.

So enjoy your trip, and don't worry about the FMM, because not even corrupt Mexican cops, have tried that one yet, that would go something like this," Oh I see you don't have a FMM document, so your going to have to follow me to the station to pay a fine, and get deported!"

It never happens, and municipal Mexican cops, are not immigration enforcement, but if it did happen, a simple solution is to reply to the corrupt Mexican cop who tried this, " is there some way I could settle this without a trip to the station? 200 pesos or $20 to the outside limit of $40 dollars, will probably solve any possible problems on the spot, with Mexican cops.

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

It never happens, and municipal Mexican cops, are not immigration enforcement, but if it did happen, a simple solution is to reply to the corrupt Mexican cop who tried this, " is there some way I could settle this without a trip to the station? 200 pesos or $20 to the outside limit of $40 dollars, will probably solve any possible problems on the spot, with Mexican cops.

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

Promoting lawlessness and bribery on a site that helps to educate people on the in's and outs of being in a foreign country should NEVER be allowed.

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by DaliDali]

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

Promoting lawlessness and bribery on a site that helps to educate people on the in's and outs of being in a foreign country should NEVER be allowed.

Should we cover our ears and not discuss something that is a 100% fact of everyday existence in Mexico? Come down out of your ivory tower sometime.

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Should we cover our ears and not discuss something that is a 100% fact of everyday existence in Mexico? Come down out of your ivory tower sometime.

Well shame me all to hell for not appreciating promoting lawlessness and bribery.

The message was intended for people unfamilar with the laws and regulations......you and I, and others know the deal.....the uninformed do not.

To send them down the road with the idea of "I don't need no stinking FMM" and just bribe the cops is just wrong.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 12:39 PM

To send them down the road with the idea of "I don't need no stinking FMM" and just bribe the cops is just wrong.

That's not what happened though. We just told them not to worry to death about the mistake that was already made.

But, to be honest, the lawlessness and bribery in MX is an attraction to some.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 01:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

But, to be honest, the lawlessness and bribery in MX is an attraction to some.

I appreciate the lack of regs/laws. In San Felipe, I once counted
12, what would be beach violations here in Orange Co.
I'm always paperwork up driving in Mex, but the key word
here is uninformed. Back in the day, met a guy from Belgium in
BCS, didn't check in with Mex Imm at the border, had
traveled many countries, said Mex was the only one you
could walk across without formally checking in, so some
unknowing bypass Imm

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 02:06 PM

Accidents happen, and we all agree that 99.9% of the time there won't be an issue not having a FMM in Baja. However, on a larger scale, not just looking at Mexico, Dali is right. Say you were going to Tanzania on a safari, wouldn't you do a little research on what's required to enter the country? I know I would...

[Edited on 2-5-2019 by BajaNomad]

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.