BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Paying Duty on Solar Inverter at SJD?
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 05:02 AM
Paying Duty on Solar Inverter at SJD?

Hey Nomads,

So I'm flying down tomorrow and am going to be packing a 68lb solar inverter on the flight. I did read some 2018 articles that said Mexico has done away with Solar Duties but that might have been at the larger commercial level. Anyways, what's the process when I arrive at the Cabo airport if I want to claim it? What's the best thing to do? Do I fill it out on the Customs declaration thing? It isn't the sort of thing that looks like I could pass off as "used". I'm pretty sure they will be interested in it. It's blue and shiny. I just want to get through with the least hassle and lost money as possible. Looking for guidance.

Edit-The inverter is about 16 inches x 9 inches x8. Will be stuffed into a large backpack. Cost is aprox 800 Dollars US. -

Thanks!

[Edited on 2-2-2019 by Beagle]

[Edited on 2-2-2019 by Beagle]
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 08:10 AM

I'm not sure if the fact that it's solar equipment changes the equation, but we just brought two CV axles into Loreto airport. About $300 each.
You are allowed $500 per person. Sounds like you will be over that.
That's all I got. Let us know how it turns out.

I like beer, better than most people.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 08:17 AM

The process is to pass through the Customs inspections inside the terminal like all the other passengers.

You may or may not get the green light to pass on through.
You may also, regardless of getting the green, be told to open any packages or luggage for inspection.

You may or may not be charged duties on the inverter.

Make sure you have the receipts for that inverter and be prepared to pay up, if they say you owe a duty.

To be on the "good side" of it all, show the Customs agent in that line, the receipt for the inverter and let him/her make the call if you owe or not. Technically, if you don't claim that inverter up front, they "could" make the call your attempting to smuggle in goods that are subject to a duty.

I don't know if the Cabo airport has a separate "to declare" line or not.....if they do, and to be on the "good side" of it all, get in that line.

You are allowed $500 USD in a personal exemption by air travel.
What I don't know and hesitate to tell you is, is that inverter subject to this exemption.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 10:17 AM

It looks like it's too big and heavy to not declare it.

Mexico, has gone green, and are encouraging small solar systems. This way they do not have to offer subsidies for electricity as much as they already do.

They have also eliminated the 15% customs duties on solar module imports, and hopefully, your inverter is included, and it's not just solar panels, they eliminated the customs duties for.

When in doubt keep quiet, keep your head down, don't look nervous and devalue your goods, in case they want to charge you duties. The odds are with you that you will get the green light.

[Edited on 2-2-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 10:46 AM

Duty for solar PV modules was eliminated last year. Don't know if that includes solar inverters.

I say declare it and if you pay duty, know you have the inverter you want.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.